• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] What Kind Of Shield

Porky

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Hello! What kind of shield is best for a mage, or a necro mage? One that won't interfere with mana regeneration. Is it the kite shield?

Malee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Look for a legendary shield with 30% Soul Charge. Soul Charge will convert damage done to you into mana. (30 is the max. ) It should also have spell channeling and no negative faster casting. The shield I carry is a chaos shield and has 30% soul charge, spell channeling, no negative FC, 3 int, 5 mana, 4 mana regen, and LMC 5.

Mayhem_wushu

Adventurer
The shield should go with the rest of your suit and add to it as much as possible. If you are somehow over capped on fc then the penalty will not matter (over 2 fc).

like @Malee suggests i too like soulcharge, how ever eaters are nice too, especially if your mana is set with wraith form. The choice of a shield is like any other piece of gear. We would need to know your skills, all the rest of your gear, and what you plan to do with the character.

If the build is for pvp a particular recommendation comes to mind, if you are killing skellys in haven it won't matter. Likewise if the rest of your suit is sub par the shield debate is irrelevant, as a shield will not fix a bad suit (with some exceptions...)

Innoxicated

Journeyman
the fc1 on Hephys are the reason I've always used them, it can make putting a suit together much easier (the extra resist may help here, too, or may allow you to run reactive armor if resists are a real issue). It's also nice when combined with a FC1 spellbook and 2/6 on jewels to reach 4/6 if you have spelllweaving on your template. Another benefit is the dci if you're using a mage weapon or defensive wrestle.

however I have recently went with a soul charge legendary myself, and I like it so far. I run Wraith form heavily, but when I need to be mounted the soul charge is helpful, as I'm a bit spendy on mana.

there are good shields that aren't 30, one with 20 might be more in your price range if that's a concern. Another benefit to hephaestus though is you can always grind and get one.

The museum chaos shield has fallen a bit out of favor with more powerful options available now, but it has a place as well. If that ring or brace has the +skills you need but not the FC/FCR, and you feel it would be worth sacrificing the slot you could go this route. And I bet these are very affordable in comparison.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What I use on one of my characters with magery is a brittle legendary artifact wooden shield. I believe I enhanced it with the wood that gives Spell Channeling, and it has a bunch of other bonuses.

Without parry or wrestling, even a brittle shield can last near-forever (I think I've repaired less than 50 total damage, over 3 or 4 repairs spread over 2+ years - mostly since I ended up with a prized jewelry item that had 2 skills toward my bard/tamer template plus Wrestling, all 3 skills at +15, from accidentally wrestling).

Even an Antique shield can work for a character that doesn't have any parry chance, but you can't enhance it like you can a clean, cursed, prized or brittle item.