• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is your method of actually digging the chest?

bourne

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Lots of times the coords given by the locker see inaccurate with carto 100. If you go on that exact spot how big is the area you need to dig? New to t-hunting..Kind of out of my specialty of sorts. Is there a correct method?
Ty in advance..

Malee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only time the coordinates are wrong from a locker is if you decoded it, put it back in the locker, then waited over 30 days to dig it up. The map will reset after 30 days if not dug up.

Say you map gives you the coordinate of 72N 19E - that map could be anywhere From 72o1' to 72o59' N and 19o1' to 19o 59'E. That is still a fairly large area but with 100 carto you should be able to stand in the middle and reach it about 90% of the time without having to move from the middle. (The middle being 72o30' and 19o30'.) You just have to dig in front of yourself, behind, left and right. Sometimes it is found in the corners and you will have to move a bit.

To get an idea of how big the space is, use anything to mark the four corners.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
@Malee is right, you should be able to stand in the middle and dig it up. If not, go to each "corner" and dig. I use EC and can see the coordinates and can mentally outline the square I should be standing in.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I also use the 1x1 degree grid search system (marking the corners if not using UOAutomap or UOC, or just standing on one of the corners and starting to dig to the front of me and to the side every 4 steps, walking the grid as if mowing a lawn).

But, Malee, Dizzy - it's not as simple as that for those that might think the map pictures are somehow definitive. The DL Coordinates are right, but for some of us the spot depicted on the map can be off by a screenwidth or more - especially in CC.

In the two cases below, the pin is shown completely on one side of a physical barrier, but the chest ends up being on the other side (to the right, in every case). I run into the pin displacement issue every so often, but about 1 in 100 maps it's truly amazing (and these are just two of the incidents - I had multiples in the Hedge Maze (with the pin completely out of it), at the river NE of Vesper, and along the river between Britain and Trinsic, that I never remembered to make screencaps of).

map offset.JPG
This one had the only part of the pin crossing the water near the "pushball" end, while the chest was across the water on the pointy end. This was before the recent changes, by several years.

Screenshot 2019-06-25 15.29.24.png

This one is a map from last week, where the pin shows completely on the west/left side of the ridge (Where there is maybe a 1-2 step wide strip in the proper latitude and longitude), when the map was on the east/right side, and somewhat further south than the pin seems to extend.

In BOTH cases the locker coordinates were right - the MAP depiction in CC was wrong. I even had one on Moonglow, almost a decade ago before the Davies Locker existed, that was on the East Road (toward the Telescope and the Illusionist guild, but before those roads split) that seemed to be almost 2 screen widths closer to the city fence than where the chest actually was found (directly north of that intersection where the road split).

Malee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is the reason why we talked about finding it with coordinates. Look at the map to get you in the general vicinity then close and never look at it again. It is at this point you use your SEXTANT that should ALWAYS be on a treasure hunter. (Only 10g to insure!) That is also why I said 90% of the time because sometimes its in a corner or the middle coordinates land you in a river and you have to pick a side.

Cocaine1

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now i play Enh client, but from times when i've played 2D i remember that "secret knowledge":

map offset 1.jpg

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And, as I noted, with CC and UOAssist, and at least some versions of the EC, even the sextant isn't needed, as there's a way to get the info with a typed command that can be set up as a macro.