• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is UO's Future?

TandaBSK

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now, I come from a fairly large family of UO addicts, parents, grandparents, in laws, siblings, children all related and tethered to this game. It has spred over the 9 or 10 years many of us have been here much like this black rock infection. "you have to try this"... wham! hooked!

Needless to say family gatherings usually have a discussion somewhere in them about UO, it's pros and cons. What we love and hate, what we'd change and what we'd keep. I've talked to a lot of people from mid to upper 60's to as young as 11.

What I'm finding is more folks over 35 rather like the 2D graphics, they like the text over head dialog in game between folks. They miss the community depth that was around prior to the birth of trammel. Many like the different lands and the activities that are restricted to those zones.

I hear more from the younger set, that the graphics are so far below other games out there, the chat functions don't match up with other games, the play functions are "old school" Yet what I hear from them as well, those who have been here a long time is that UO offers community interaction between folks LIKE NO OTHER GAME. Some have ventured off for eye candy, speed and the level grinds and come back. There isn't the ability to build depth of relationship with your hunting partners or guildmates that comes with the UO platform.

The new version or release that had been slated to come with Kingdom Reborn? Stygian Abyss? (spelling) Are there enough of us out there yet to warrant upgrades to what we love or love to hate? Expansion of fiction and depth? A thriving criminal interface? of course PvP...

I know this has been hashed out on the boards for years. I am hearing more and more folks though with the doom and gloom. "UO's got a year or two left tops" "The place is empty"

Seems a bit like UO needs to recognize it's niche, and target market and do what it does better than anyone else. Maybe though its time has come and gone? Those of us who have spent hundreds or thousands over the long haul need to prepare to have our "fix" removed from our reach?

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quite simply, you cannot believe the majority of what you read here from your fellow players.

At best, it is judging UO by its peak. Yes, UO is undeniably off from its peak.

At worst, it is the same persecution complex that UO players have had since it was made.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/warhammer-time

100k subscriptions and "wildly profitable."

Sure, UO might die tomorrow. A lot of things might happen tomorrow, for all kinds of reasons.

Enjoy the game, complain about things you'd like to see changed, complement things you like, and enjoy the game.

-Galen's player

G

GAMBIT35

Quite simply, you cannot believe the majority of what you read here from your fellow players.

At best, it is judging UO by its peak. Yes, UO is undeniably off from its peak.

At worst, it is the same persecution complex that UO players have had since it was made.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/warhammer-time

100k subscriptions and "wildly profitable."

Sure, UO might die tomorrow. A lot of things might happen tomorrow, for all kinds of reasons.

Enjoy the game, complain about things you'd like to see changed, complement things you like, and enjoy the game.

-Galen's player
So, you believe that there are over 7000 people on your shard. That would have to be the shard average for there to be 100k. I'm amazed that an EA mouthpiece says something in a softball article and you believe it hook, line, and sinker.

T

timbeOFbaja

For EA, with decreasing costs for bandwidth and hardware and a streamlined development team, there could be as much as 5-6 Million in profit at the end of the year once all the expenses for UO are paid for. You just aren't going to turn that away.

So the game isn't going anywhere even if the playerbase was cut in half unless EA felt like ending it for PR reasons.

As far as the game itself, KR isn't the future. I read about KR and saw screenshots on a neutral gaming forum and people were laughing at it saying it didn't look as good as Baldur's Gate 1.........and they were right. It makes UO look like more of a joke than 2D does. People look at those graphics, check their calendar, note that it's 2008, and go preorder WOTLK.

Now, a 3D UO would be incredible. You'd have every past player back immediately and would grab all those jaded WoW players who want something new and heard about the legendary UO and finally have a reason to try it. Imagine the chance to walk through your house from your character's perspective. To sit on your porch and watch the deer and mongbats wandering around the forest. Having to look UP at a dragon. Walking through Deceit and making your way through progressively tougher skeletons to reach the lich lord room all lit up and glowing with evil magic.

What UO doesn't need is another expansion with super tough baddies that require even more tamers to kill. rolleyes:

T

timbeOFbaja

So, you believe that there are over 7000 people on your shard. That would have to be the shard average for there to be 100k. I'm amazed that an EA mouthpiece says something in a softball article and you believe it hook, line, and sinker.
7,000 "subscribers" per shard. With 20% (unlikely) of them on at peak times you have 1400 people spread across the many dungeons and cities of malas, ishenar, trammel, felucca, lost lands, and tokuno. That sounds unrealistic? rolleyes:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure. Random people on message boards and people who open up web sites don't make stuff up, but representatives of the manufacturer do.

:thumbup1:

Not to mention that, assuming the player base is evenly distributed which we all know it's not, this isn't really an unreasonable amount at all.

-Galen's player

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What UO doesn't need is another expansion with super tough baddies that require even more tamers to kill. rolleyes:
That's exactly what UO needs. No online game can survive on the trickle of content UO is currently providing. The evidence is all around us. Anything can be killed without tamers.

M

Mulch

Uhm we have about 25 shards so we have about 4000 accounts a shard and it sounds ok. A shard can hold about 6000 houses and as there is lots of free space it sounds believable.

Just remember over 50.000 of those players are asian players, who will probably stay longer as they have a volunteer/seer program.

T

timbeOFbaja

That's exactly what UO needs. No online game can survive on the trickle of content UO is currently providing. The evidence is all around us. Anything can be killed without tamers.
Trickle of content? UO had more content when it launched than WoW has now. What you're misinterpretting as content are new items to check off your list. I abhor those kinds of games. New expansion pack adds new high level boss encounters. People figure out the formula for beating the boss and the entire encounter becomes systematically executed X number of times by X number of groups. It's just a new carrot to replace the one on the treadmill that's gotten stale. Boring. NO thank you.

UO needs more social things. Bring people together into player run towns and real towns. Revive factions. Add capture points. Etc. I see so much imagination and industriousness by players in the game and it's being wasted because it's so much easier to please people like you who just want to add notches to their holster and add another mob and give him another 1000 hp and give him a fancy drop.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The future of UO is easy. It will eventually lose enough players that the servers will be shut down.

Oh wait you meant BEFORE that.

Why are you still waiting for an answer I ain't no fortune teller!

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The future of UO is easy. It will eventually lose enough players that the servers will be shut down.

Oh wait you meant BEFORE that.

Why are you still waiting for an answer I ain't no fortune teller!

Most business ventures eventually fail.

I, however, continue to predict that UO will outlast WoW.

WoW has simply set its own expectations far too high. Kind of like a chain restaurant that feels the need to keep expanding until it has saturated the market past the point where future expansions can have the same profit potential as the earlier ones.

-Galen's player

A

Azureal

Now, a 3D UO would be incredible. You'd have every past player back immediately and would grab all those jaded WoW players who want something new and heard about the legendary UO and finally have a reason to try it. Imagine the chance to walk through your house from your character's perspective. To sit on your porch and watch the deer and mongbats wandering around the forest. Having to look UP at a dragon. Walking through Deceit and making your way through progressively tougher skeletons to reach the lich lord room all lit up and glowing with evil magic.
Ive had this dream too.

SWG was sorta like what I had hoped a true 3D UO would be like. Full vendor system, housing system, massive worlds, massive mobs. Until the CU and NGE came, it was pretty much going to be my last MMO.

EA should steal the SWG engine, make new pixels, take out the spaceships and laser guns and put in dragons and swords.

UO's future? No-one knows except the powers that be, and theyll never tell you a thing till the day the plug is pulled. Till then just enjoy the ride.

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO would still be profitable with 30,000 subscriptions. No, wait. That would be with the development team it had at Redwood Shores. With the small, streamlined team that it has now, that number is probably closer to 22-25,000.

And then there's another important point: UO is paid for. There is a considerable investment involved in releasing a game. Most MMO's nowadays take a while to pay that off. UO has been around for nearly 11 years. It has paid for every expansion and publish ten times over. EA won't shut UO down until it stops paying for its own upkeep plus a little, which it is not even close to being in danger of doing.

Furthermore, Stygian Abyss is coming. It's just coming veeerrryy sloooowly. I'm not making excuses for EA, though. Personally, I'm rather pissed it hasn't shown up sooner. But it is coming.

Also:
So, you believe that there are over 7000 people on your shard. That would have to be the shard average for there to be 100k.
Worst. Mathematics. Ever.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think of it like this...... (still think that EA is trying to destroy UO on purpose).... but here is how I see things......

If and this is a big if..... EA really wanted to make something of UO.... they would finally figure out that UO has it's nitch.... what it offers in the ability to custom itself...... What alot of people love about UO is that it doesn't have set laws and rules..... as far as characters go..... The beauty of UO is that it allows one to use your own imagination...... you do not have to level things.... it's not about having the right stuff at this level or that one....

If they turn UO into a game like that where you "have" to have things.... just to compete I'd quit.... I wish they would turn back away from being item based and put more focus into content as far as bringing back systems alot like seers and councilors...... Keep the dungeons fresh...... fix bugs..... find better ways to stop scripting and duping....

As far as graphics go..... Yes it might be cool for all those things... but truely.... I love the 2d graphics..... I'm not a big one for all the camera angles and such.... that makes me more confused and sea sick than anything......

I think if the dev team could bring about maybe a reworking of the dungeons... update alot of things that seem to be left out in the cold..... and look at bringing back more community action..... folk would be quite a bit happier.....

Wow will die out and fade..... simply because you can't keep things fresh and up to date and new for folk once they reach the "cap" and have done all the quests and gotten all the required items...... once that is done the "fun" dies... You can only hunt the same junk so often.... that's true in UO too.....

I guess to me it's the community that makes UO great...... the amount of amazing things the community can do together..... like our own auction houses.... No NPC needed..... we do plays..... and theatre.... scavanger hunts..... alot of guilds put on community activites.. like the Fishing councils net toss.... and things of this nature..... folk run tavers.... there is all this roleplay that can be incorperated into the game...... allowing you depth of character and to really escape the real world and put yourself into a fantasy adventure..... truely the ability of UO to allow for folk to either choose to be hunters and gatherers.... or to be crafters,....... murderers...... theives..... Briggands,...... and even Paladins..... heros and fisherman.... Treasure hunters..... or tamers of beasts.... and really play the roles.... that is a very great thing about UO.... if your tamer wants to be a tailor too that's ok.... there is no set template.... there is no "standard" outfit... armor... weapon..... if you want to charge into battle with a pitchfork... that's ok.... If you want to play a shepard that's ok too...... If you want you can be about anything you put your imagination to... it's exciting and amazing the amount of truely unique things that comes from UO......

Like building your own home.... hard to find two homes that are alike in UO outside the pre-fabs.... the freedom of expression and freedom of design is amazing in UO..... NO other game is as deeply rich in freedoms.....

W

Wisty

Now, I come from a fairly large family of UO addicts, parents, grandparents, in laws, siblings, children all related and tethered to this game. It has spred over the 9 or 10 years many of us have been here much like this black rock infection. "you have to try this"... wham! hooked!
Lucky you. Wish my family had been like that. I tried, but no such luck.

A

Azureal

Lucky you. Wish my family had been like that. I tried, but no such luck.
I actually thought the same when I first read that. A house full of people all playing UO, better yet an entire family. Damn.