• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is the sammy/pally template?

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am trying to piece together what I've heard for years now to be a good template to solo most peerless's. I've heard that its the same template that the legendary Vallend uses himself. I've sent him a PM on this matter but he seems to have vanished. Please... if this is the correct "Sammy/Pally" template let me know? Or please tell me what "it" is.

Thank you.

Tactics: 120.0
Swordsmanship: 120.0
Anatomy: 120.0
Chivalry: 120.0
Parry: 120.0
Bushido: 120.0

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have already sent this info to Bob but I thought I would tell it to all of you too. My template is nothing special and many uber players would cringe at it.

The template you show is the one of the most common Pal/Sam templates and many players have great luck with it. Some drop the anatomy and pick up healing, but most run close to that.

Bob_the_fart_guy said:
Tactics: 120.0
Swordsmanship: 120.0
Parry: 120.0
Chivalry: 120.0
Bushido: 120.0
Anatomy: 120.0
Now I run a odd template, but it works for me. you have to remember I am a long time player and got the bonus 20 points beyond 700. I also run with Magery to cast EVs when needed or open gates for friends. Plus I also ress people all the time and noble sacrifice would leave me near dead in many areas that I would rather not risk my life. Throw in that I also embrace the Virtues and I am a Knight of Compassion so I ress people with 75% of their hit points.
I need the focus to help recover my mana because I do use magery and special moves, But thats not all I use. My preferred weapon is the "Soul Seeker" because it has 30% mana and life leech. Plus a 40% stamina leech.
Also I have a "Totem of the Void" that has a hit point regeneration of 2 and I wear jewelery that also helps me out very much. So you must remember that what you wear and use is important too. It isn't all about your skills.
Here is the strange Template I use.

Swordsmanship: 110
Parrying: 110
Bushido: 100
Chivalry: 100
Tactics: 100
Magery: 100
Focus: 100

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A warrior without healing and anatomy?
I might just as well run naked into a greater dragon's maw.

Seriously, I really envy those players who can keep themselves alive using magic. The only way I can seem to do it is with bandages.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had that once, a warrior without healing or anatomy or spirit speak or magery and who didn't use his chivalry for healing either. All my heals were vampire leeching or confidence. It was very effective, actually. But it sucked to be in groups. You could only be the tank, and most groups already have a tank named "greater dragon." And for me group play is where it's at.

Which gave me this revision
115 swords, 115 tactics, 100 anatomy, 100 healing, 110 bushido, 110 parry, 70 chivalry.

I can still heal me with bandages and confidence, I can heal my friends with bandages or chivalry (mana leeching axe is wonderful!) and the damage output is amazing.

But as far as the "right" template goes, I don't think it exists. There are too many options out there to choose just one (or even 7!).

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But as far as the "right" template goes, I don't think it exists. There are too many options out there to choose just one (or even 7!).
I have the same problem. Part of me wishes that we could only have 1 character, but stack as many skills as we cared to play onto the template.

(Obviously, this idea has some serious flaws, and causes massive game balance issues, but it's still fun to think about)

Seven is just not enough for me. I want my warrior, mage/scribe, tamer, bard, mule, thief, 2ndary mule/fisher, chef/begger, necro mage, ninja, sammy, resource gatherer. That's why I have 2 accounts with only 1 char who's even close to being finished (as if there is such a thing as a finished character).

D

Dem0nic

120 Bushy
120 Weapon Skill
120 Tactics
90 Anat
90 Heal
86 Parry
60 Chiv
34 necro

Solo's Dread/Parox

I also have a slightly diff temp on another:

120 Bushy
120 Weapon
100 Tact
100 Anat
91 Healing
90 Parry
60 Chiv
34 Necro

This one also solo's DH & Parox

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wammy:
120 weapon skill
120 parry
120 bushido
120 tactics
100 spiritspeak
60 necro
80 chivalry

is what I used.

have soloed:
travesty
grizzle
paramox
dh
shimmering
doom hundreds of times.

each one has thier own strategy. almost each one uses different weapons (for me). I use all weapons either arty related, bronze runic, or from a peerless corpse while soloing.

I'm rebuilding my character on a new account though since I sold the last one. When I get him done if you get keys I'll gladly show you how to kill them all with ease :)

D

Dem0nic

wammy:
120 weapon skill
120 parry
120 bushido
120 tactics
100 spiritspeak
60 necro
80 chivalry

is what I used.

have soloed:
travesty
grizzle
paramox
dh
shimmering
doom hundreds of times.

each one has thier own strategy. almost each one uses different weapons (for me). I use all weapons either arty related, bronze runic, or from a peerless corpse while soloing.

I'm rebuilding my character on a new account though since I sold the last one. When I get him done if you get keys I'll gladly show you how to kill them all with ease :)
How long did it take you for travesty or grizzle for that matter?

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had that once, a warrior without healing or anatomy or spirit speak or magery and who didn't use his chivalry for healing either. All my heals were vampire leeching or confidence. It was very effective, actually. But it sucked to be in groups. You could only be the tank, and most groups already have a tank named "greater dragon." And for me group play is where it's at.

Which gave me this revision
115 swords, 115 tactics, 100 anatomy, 100 healing, 110 bushido, 110 parry, 70 chivalry.

I can still heal me with bandages and confidence, I can heal my friends with bandages or chivalry (mana leeching axe is wonderful!) and the damage output is amazing.

I'm not sure how much chiv you need to rez other players. But I like that template. What is "confidence"??? I love my healing and anatomy. Is there a huge difference in 100 tactics and 115? If you don't think so I would probably opt for 115 healing and 100 tactics. I simply love my bandies :) Thank you all for your feedback. It has been most helpful. :ten:

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Travesty with a samurai in vamp form takes from 20-40 minutes, depending on your weapon and if you have parry on the template. I could never finish it on a wammy though.

There is a difference between 115 tactics and 100 tactics, but it isn't so great that you wouldn't be able to do decent damage at 100 tactics. So 115 (or even 120) healing should be fine.

Confidence is a bushido spell with 2 effects. First, if you parry a blow you gain (I believe) a few hit points and some stamina. But the better effect is that you gain a lot of hit point regeneration until you get damaged. Between casting confidence and using a bandage, you can go from near 0 to 120 hit points in 4 seconds.

If I ever need to ressurect a lot of people at once, I have a luna lance on hand which I can grab to cast the chivalry ressurect spell (I used this for hanging out in Casca's hide out during the spring cleaning points thing), but it takes a lot of attempts to cast at 80. Which is another reason that healing skill is good. You can fight and heal/res other people at the same time.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, I've never used any of the samurai abilities...not even in test center. It sounds wonderful though. I hope it skills fast, I'll be starting out at the very bottom.

Speaking of the spring cleaning thing...is that still going on?

R

Rowen

you can still turn in points, but you cant turn in items for points anymore in spring cleaning. bushido is easy to train. if you are already skilled in your other skills buy up tp forty points at haven and enter the quest there to train up to 50. then lighting strike till the gains slow, depending on how high your scrolled. then momentum strike the rest. i am at 114.3 and gaining fast. just need to find a place where it spawns fast, i go to honesty in ishlner and do the cyclops and titans. vamp form in necro helps alot. i was killing para succubus at 110 skill mace, parry and bushido.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, thank you for the Bushido skilling tip. I'm sad to have missed out on the turn-in thing :( I really wanted a pair of those snake skin boots. Don't mean to "miss-post" here but I do have a LOT of neat crap I'd be willing to trade if someone has a pair? *begs* I really do have a bunch of stuff =-D

Yeah, I did the New Haven training mission. I'm training up Fencing instead of swordsmanship, so the reward sword don't help me much, heh. Is there a newbie quest that has a fencing weapon reward?

Thank you all for the feedback. I've been wanting to make a sam/pally template for a while now. And seeing how effective they are...well. I can't put it off any longer.

BTW,

What does Vampire Form help you with anyway?

R

Rowen

vamp form leeches 25% of your damage as life so it keeps your health nice and full. other templates use wraith form for the mana regain and cast curse weapon for life leech. i like vamp form simply for a mount so i can run when i get in over my head.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Rowen.

And I would like to thank a good friend of mine for the wonderful gift of the snake skin boots. *geeee*

L

Lord Urza

Sampire Pwn Pwn Pwns!!

My temp is

120 sword
120 perry
120 bushido
50 necro ( 90 with equipment)
70 chiv
120 tact
120 anat

(Max 720 for my account)

high stry
max dex
low int

I allso chug potions, and use a soul seeker alot of the time for extra leeches

This is a powerhouse Tank
And can solo many many things haha

M

Mark Knotts

Just make sure you get your bushido and parry as high as possible. The more you're blocking the better. If you can only increase one over the other, make sure you pick bushido since that will increase your chance for a critical strike (or whatever they call it) with lightning strike while giving the same parry increase. I think at 120 bushido it's a 20% critical strike chance vs 13% at GM. I really don't know what's up with some of these low parry/bushido builds. Using one of the builds here - 90 parry/120 bushido gives 26% 1hand/30% 2 hand while 120/120 gives 35% 1hand/40% 2hand. http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/parrying.php

120 bushido/115 parry will give the same parry chance as 120 parry/115 bushido to make it more clear. 120/120 is good because a few % more can really help out, so strive for that if you can. But don't think you can't have a good character with 115/115 or so, because you can. Honoring opponents (atleast harder ones) is also a necessity.

Some people will add in necro to 35ish, throw on items, cast vampiric embrace, then either soulstone it, keep it on the template, or just down arrow it and gain in another skill. If you die, you'll have to recast it :p. Spirit Speak is necessary if you use wraith form since it's added into the formula for mana leech.

Some people rock healing, some don't. It can save you up to 90-100 pts onto something else, but it's up to you to decide. I have one that uses healing and one that doesn't (swords/fencer). Good luck. :)

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe, I haven't heard that one...Sampire. Nice. Some very nice templates. And thank you very, very much for the feedback, it really is helping me. I want to have as much feedback as I can get while building my sam/pally here. I'm not above going to test center and fooling around with some of your templates either.

Thank you so much. I will continue reading up on this thread. So far the best bit of advice I've heard was about using a shield v.s. the bushido skill. Very helpful. :D