• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is the purpose of ROT?

• Thread starter imported_Skrag
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Skrag

I'm not a Siege player, so don't take this as another Siege Lobbyist post. I'm just curious. What the heck is the purpose of the ROT skill-gain system? Can some wandering developer try to explain it to me?

As far as I can tell, all it does is keep people off the shard. Even the Siegers seem to hate it. So why is it there?

G

Its primary purpose would be to prevent people from rolling out a fully developed and fleshed out character in less than a week, something that most people are pretty capable of doing on a normal shard. Siege Perilous is meant to be a hardcore shard - hence you do not get everything handed to you, including your characters skills. You have to work hard, put genuine effort into your character, and earn it.

It is also a shard that is based upon the concepts of player justice, and you cannot exactly have player justice when a griefer can delete his character and roll up a new one with a different name in less than a week. You also don't want every flavor of the month PvP guild to suddenly flood into the shard and create problems for the existing community.

Nonetheless, I cannot speak on behalf of Siege Perilous, namely because I haven't played there in a few years. On the other hand, I would take most of these complaints with a grain of salt. It may yet be the genuine opinion of a frustrated community, but how many thousands of threads have been created on U.Hall just because some negative whiner decided he isn't having fun, so he wants to ruin it for everyone else, whether the community agrees or not?

Honestly, in my experience on Siege Perilous, training a character does not take that long. The lack of uber-suits (because of no insurance) makes a unfinished character far more useful on one of these shards, and if you can't find anything to do in the month it takes to train, you aren't going to enjoy Siege Perilous once you have that character finished anyways. Its not the time that it takes to train that has left Siege so empty, its the fact that Ultima Online as a whole has fallen on hard times population-wise - many of the west coast shards are a shadow of their former selves, its not something isolated to just Siege.

I

imported_Skrag

<blockquote><hr>

You have to work hard, put genuine effort into your character, and earn it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, so THAT'S why nobody is there.

G

How Rot on Siege works...

ROT 70-80 5 min between Gains 3.6 a day
80-99 10 min between Gains 2.1a day
99-120 15 min between Gains 2.1 a day

And the 3.6/2.1 per day part does not mean you can gain it in every skill it is overall ... so you can spread those 2.1 gains into various skill or you can just gain one skill at a time but all u get is 3.6 a day until 80 then 2.1 a day after that...

So to make a character here and it have 6x120 Skills... you do the math

+ once you get around 80 and have to wait 10 minutes to get a .1 gain then 15 minutes when u get to 99...

People have jobs and lifes outside of UO I know some of you find this hard to believe...

G

I think its a good system in terms of the auto gain, but bad in terms of how limited the gain is.

When the shard opened up it was a different story, and people could play the game with 70 magery, and still be able to do stuff. The UO of 8 years later is a different UO, where underdeveloped characters generally do not cut it. Add the fact that the majority of players are regular shard vets who have already done the whole character building thing 10000 times before.

The only argument I have heard for it, is that it helps you learn to depend on people, but I don't think thats a lesson that really needs teaching. You'll find it out sooner or later on the field when you keep dealing with the same groups that its better to be part of a group yourself (for most).

G

And quite outdated since the advent of powerscrolls. ROT should have been updated shortly after or with the advent of Power Scrolls.

The original intent of the 1999 Siege / ROT is geared to pre power scrolls era anyhow, too little gain, when customers now post power scrolls, nearly need to go to 120.0 to get to be done with most of the more needed competitive skills to even compete, thus ROT way too slow for 120.0 ! ROT should not even kick in till 90.0 ie the 70 was when we were shooting for 100.0 max...it surely is outdated far too slow pokey, when we often have to be shooting to get to 120.0 !

G

The thing is, when RoT was put in GM was the highest you could get. So you had 70 - 80 gaining once every 5 mins, 3.6 points per day, 80 - 99 every 10 minutes - limit 2.1 gains per day and then 99 - 100 every 15 minutes, that's just 10 gains at the higher rate, 2½ hours. Works out at roughly 14 days per skill, not including getting up to 70 beforehand.

Now with characters training to 120, that's a further 200 gains at 15 minute intervals, which to get your daily allotment of 2.1 gains per day means playing for 5 hours per day! Very few can do that.

G

pre pub16 you could survive and actually skill compete at lower skills.

When you die in a faction and suffer statloss, on a GM skill does it take you around 70? If so I assume thats why ROT was targeted at 70.

I personally think ROT shouldnt kick in till about GM. The game has changed way too much since "then". Its sucks rocking 70 resist and very bad resist armor (this is siege remember!) or no armor because you want your ROT in other skills first, not resist.

I had a 7x gm mage back in the day on siege, and have urging to play siege again. Unfortunatly I gave that account away without realizing my 'good' siege character was on it. (not like I would just take the account back for it hahaha).

G

<blockquote><hr>

very bad resist armor (this is siege remember!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, you see, this is the thing I'm trying to get across.

I just took a barbed leather, non-runic suit off my vendor and put it on. No jewels with resists, just the suit. Resists are: 53/62/61/58/66. While I admit that's not an all 70s suit, it's not 'very bad' either, do you agree?

G

Yes, I know what a barbed leather suit can do, they have been around for quite some time.

How does it help you when your suit is on your corpse, and you resed via a wondering healer and want to get your suit back.

I'm not saying people run around with crap armor on all day, or its hard to have good resists, but there is times when it would be nice if your resist wasent locked at ~70 cause of the crappy outdated rot system.

I

imported_Gwendar-SP

Rot is a gain system as was explained. It is great for someone training a resource intensive skill (crafting) or a super painful one like poisoning/lockpicking/detect. (i've heard that it takes 100 k ingots to train smith on othershards, on siege 10-15k ingots should take one to legondary. This is a real boon since one can't buy ingots from an NPC on Siege)

I consider it great for any skill. The drawback is that it does take time - 3 month for a full character. It is really a pain for someone who can't play every day. What one can't do is run a macro all day and end up trained.

G

I enjoy pvp and have seen lots of recuiters to seige. However, this ROT is exactly why i have not created a character.

No way what soever am I going to spend 3 months on a char just to see if i like the server...

G

I think ROT was originally put in to limit the siege players to those that were willing to put in the time, and to minimize unattended macroing.

Personally, I just think it's hurting the shard.

G

Very correct said.

RoT need a tweak but it need to stay. RoT is not that bad, I think alot of complains comes from players who are training skills for soulstones.

I think a second char slot and bigger banks will make more players stay on Siege. The daily cap need to be 5.0 cross skills but still 2.0 point a day in each skill and the delay between gains need to be decreased.