• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is detect magic for?

B

Bo Riddler

I had several favorite classes on one server, when I changed, I not only switched to Horde, but I also decided to play classes I hadn't tried yet. Warrior, Druid and Mage.

So here I am, my solo class character is a Forsaken Mage. Already 22nd level he is getting higher, but soloing a Mage is hard in my book. But I have one question so far...

Whatis the spell, Detect Magic for? It says I can detect good magics on those around me. Big deal. All I have to do is look at the spell icons on their face gump to see that. How do I use that spell?

Bo

L

Lord Abernathy

Nowadays, mages use detect magic to see what buff a mob has so you can use spell steal (you'll get that spell ability later on, late 60s level). So if you detect a good buff on a mob, you can steal that buff for yourself.

And back then, detect magic is also used to indicate which mob you will sheep so others won't attack it, it's like a marker of sorts, not much else use.

G

<font color="purple"> This spell has been removed in Patch 2.3 thankfully! It's no longer needed, the info is visible to all. </font>