• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] What is an Exploit Item?

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What is an exploit rare? Is it illegal to own? Can they be sold?
Something that's illegal to own and cannot be sold, though shedding some light on said item might help lol

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Tree Ornament Earrings and Tree Ornament Weddingband
Tree ornament jewelry: The first year Christmas trees came out, for a short period of time, tinkers could make tree ornament jewelry by targeting the tree ornaments instead of a gem.

These have been sold throughout the years on vendors without any problem

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No clear definition at the end. There have been many illegal items created over the years and while some were removed many remained. Whether or not this continues no one knows. However, if illegal items that interferes with the game mechanics will definitely be removed when sighted.

But thank you for the topic so I can take this opportunity for a quick lesson:

1. If we go way back, Seers had the power to create. There are no good databases other than Woody's that still have some of them listed.
2. IGMs can create and not sure their items ever been properly recorded so they could be circulating all over the places.
3. Senior GMs, I am not too sure but they may have the ability to change code on existing items then grabbed by players.
4. EMs could create, different seniority were given more power to create and dye. So many renegade items existed these past 15+ years. But as they are caught, they are fired which is probably why Mesanna have gone through 75+ EMs hehe. EMs also had problems locking down items properly early days so people just grabbed them off the ground :). Many EMs went into this program wanting to profit so they found ways.
5. Exploited items through a bug. There are still many of these items out there.
6. Duped items through bugs. I would say thousands of these items still exists.

Now you understand why it's hard to say what item is "illegal"

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't say that this thread here is to date with current rules... but... List Of Items Illegal To Own In UO

as Manti explained, there have been many exploits in many different ways, ranging from dupes due to bugs to straight up new item creation from those with the ability... what is "illegal to own" changes with the whims of Mesanna at any given time.