• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is a good hosting site for UO Automap?

• Thread starter imported_MoonglowMerchant
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
G

I have a server setup if anyone wants to use. Fee can be discussed, but it is very low.

G

I'm confused...

Are you looking for the download? Or are you wanting to setup your own Mirror site?

G

I gather he's looking for a hosting site to take over updates?

G

He is most likely asking about a UOAM server hosting so players can link together in map.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I gather he's looking for a hosting site to take over updates?

[/ QUOTE ]

UOAM runs as a server also. Either just running the program as a host or running a specialized process (a separate download.)

I have ran an uoam server for my guild for years. It's really a great thing as it provides locations of all the guild, emergency help alerts, chat via uoam or within uo itself, private and public messages to members, and a number of other features.

To the OP, I run my server on my standard dsl line and host it to around 8 to 20 users. It takes only a little bandwidth. The easiest way to try this is just run uoam and in the 'link' tab, select 'start server'. Then just give the people that you want to connect to it your ip address. (might be easier than said than done to some. I have static ip addresses that I can give to the guild to log onto it)

Note: Sadly, this only works well with 2d, not kr

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

KR has its own tracking facility's inbuilt with the ability to track members of your party, without the need for a 3rd party app, or server.

G

<blockquote><hr>

KR has its own tracking facility's inbuilt with the ability to track members of your party, without the need for a 3rd party app, or server.

[/ QUOTE ]
But that limits you to only 10 possible people and does not allow for non-partied players to track each other. Even if Kingdom Reborn did allow you to track anyone, the map resolution is too low and you will have a hard time pinpointing their location in some instances.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True but it's not as good and lacks a lot of the features of the uoam server.

G

<blockquote><hr>

But that limits you to only 10 possible people and does not allow for non-partied players to track each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

True enough, is a feature I hope to see in the future.

<blockquote><hr>

Even if Kingdom Reborn did allow you to track anyone, the map resolution is too low and you will have a hard time pinpointing their location in some instances.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you have a vision impairment or a really really bad monitor....

G

You can't see individual tiles in Kingdom Reborn's radar no matter how good your eyesight is.

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Arrrr, based on their avatar, methinks their eyesight be doin' quite fine!

G

<blockquote><hr>

You can't see individual tiles in Kingdom Reborn's radar no matter how good your eyesight is.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is, why would you want to? If your using the map to track another player, you want to know what their position is relative to yours, not what pixel they are standing on, because by the time you get that close you are going to see them in game anyway...

To see the tiles in UOAM you have to zoom right in anyways, and that looks really ugly (pixelated), not to mention you can only see a tiny area round your char unless you have the window set to take up your whole screen.

Anyways I'm not bashing UOAM, my guild and I use it all the time, just saying that KR does have tracking capabilities.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Arrrr, based on their avatar, methinks their eyesight be doin' quite fine!

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe....well, somehow knowing how her eyesight (or lack their of) ends up I doubt it :p

*pluck* ouchies

G

<blockquote><hr>

because by the time you get that close you are going to see them in game anyway...

[/ QUOTE ]
Not if they are hiding.

M

mutau

i use the UO automap to fish up MiBs. how well is KR for that?

G

Ah, I understand now.

Thanks for explaining! Now that I know this in an option, I'd like to see KR have the same abilities. It would be nice to track friends/guildies that you aren't partied with, too.

Someone that currently uses KR (I'm still on 2D) should explain this in a Feedback and send it in. Maybe send Jeremy a note, too.

G

when are you handful of posters going to give up on KR.

Leave the Devs alone so they can fix the game MOST people want to play.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

When they pull the plug on UO.
KR can do everything that 2D can do, Alot of what UOA can do, and alot of what UOAM can do. That is most of 3 applications combined into one.

When are the KR haters going to stop telling people to give up on KR?

<blockquote><hr>

Leave the Devs alone so they can fix the game MOST people want to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen very little posting in UHall lately telling the Devs to fix stuff that is only in KR.

G

Do you know how to read?

I stated that although I do NOT use KR, it would be nice to have the functionality of UOAM added to it. I still am using 2D.

V

VorteXPete

When are you KR bashers ever going to give up, this is childish.I love using KR and when my video card got fried i had to play 2D for 2 weeks and it felt like i traveled back in time 8 years, there are still parts of 2D that are better, but slowly KR is gettin better all the time!

G

Now that KR has had quite a few fixes and the art is a little better, I'd like to give it a try.

The download and patching time is what's holding me back. I personally prefer the pixel art of 2D, even though some would consider it outdated, but I would like to try KR out.

I'm waiting for the downloadable installer to be updated. =)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Now that KR has had quite a few fixes and the art is a little better, I'd like to give it a try.

The download and patching time is what's holding me back. I personally prefer the pixel art of 2D, even though some would consider it outdated, but I would like to try KR out.

[/ QUOTE ]

KR has a 'legacy' art mode, which uses most of the artwork from 2D, looks great (much better than KR mode TBH).

G

<blockquote><hr>

i use the UO automap to fish up MiBs. how well is KR for that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't know, don't have a fisher, and if I did I probably wouldn't waste my time doing MiB's (they need some love).

However I use KR's map for finding and tracking (wondering) healers when I'm dead. Can UOAM do that?

G

<blockquote><hr>

However I use KR's map for finding and tracking (wondering) healers when I'm dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I really like that feature.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

However I use KR's map for finding and tracking (wondering) healers when I'm dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I really like that feature.

[/ QUOTE ]*nod nod*