• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is a Dexxer?

A

alosis

Seriously, I've been scratching my head trying to grasp them exactly. I've been searching through the forums and other places on the net but no real clear cut explanation of what they are. Can anybody give a brief description on what they are, how they are properly played, and their pros and cons?

To me it seems like they are fast melee fighters that can heal pretty well. However I'm not entirely sure this is a correct assessment of the class.

Thanks for your help.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A character with very high dexterity and a very fast weapon like krysses and daggers.

A

alosis

So far I'm following. However would a Sampire be a form of a dexxer then? They have high dexterity and fast weapons, enough to achieve 1.25 swing speed (which if I understand correctly is the fastest speed you can get to).

But then I'm confused. As I'm reading Dexxers are much better for PvP and Sampires are more suited for PvM.

There has to be more to it than high dexterity and fast attacking speeds.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would say the term 'dexxer' includes all of uo's character types that are based mainly on weapon damage. As they are the chars that profit most from having dexterity on them. (So all archers, macers, swordsman and fencer are falling into this category.)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think most people put Archer into its own category, as it doesn't have the same skill requirements as the melee types (no need for parry, and Balanced bows reduce the dependence on healing and leeches, and increases the importance of Enhance Potions - a necro archer typically won't by withering as much, as well)

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would say the term 'dexxer' includes all of uo's character types that are based mainly on weapon damage. As they are the chars that profit most from having dexterity on them. (So all archers, macers, swordsman and fencer are falling into this category.)
This is how I have always defined a dexxer in my own mind. Any template that relies mostly or completely on non-magical skills. More of an option in years past than now, but I still define it this way. Of course that does not make it correct. I also agree that Archers are in a group all their own possibly adding throwing in there now.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is how I have always defined a dexxer in my own mind. Any template that relies mostly or completely on non-magical skills. More of an option in years past than now, but I still define it this way. Of course that does not make it correct. I also agree that Archers are in a group all their own possibly adding throwing in there now.
Melee (dexer)
Ranged (archer/throwing)
Mage (mage)