• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What have all Our years playing UO taught us about it?

G

Hail: For 10 years i have played. I have learned a lot of things about the game, and thus how to play the in a way that is no longer frustrating, or dissapointing to the point of quitting. So have most of you. So, post them here.

1. Surprise: Yea, they like to spring stuff on us without any warning or notice. Once in a while it is good, and sometimes it is bad. Sometimes it is Good, but no warning made it bad. What if they said there is a surprise in pub 52? Yay. You go tame a new pet, and then are forced to release a long time pet, to make room for the new one, only to discover that the surprise, "un announced", was an extra stable slot..........

2. Take Advantage NOW: Just because, "this is the way it has always worked", does not mean it is the way it will keep working. How many of us have lost out because the game changed something, "Surprise again"? Skills get nerfed, resources get changed, and so on. If a skill is going up faster than what is normal, or even goes up on failure, better not say, "Cool, i will come back to finish this later", and it may get changed later. Have a great deal selling some items to Npc vendors? Sell now..........or end up like all the lumberjacks who have a ton of useless wood now....

3. Don't expect anything: quote, homer simpson, " Life is just one crushing defeat after another until you just wish flanders was dead". hehe A lot of the time, what the player base as a whole want's, and what we end up with is often dissapointing. Do I like the current turn in system. NO. Do i care? Also No. I did not expect anything that any of my charaters could use, or anything to deco my house that would make any difference. A mouse statue? Might as well be another Vet reward statue.

4. You will get pissed off: This will happen, has happened, and will happen again. You are Taming a Greater Dragon, it seems to accept you as master, and, "YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED".........You log into UOKR to try it out, the Play button is highlighted, and almost right above it the, Delete button is highlighted.......Ooopsy.......byby main char. You were busy with the event, you had stuff stored on your boat, and forgot to refresh it within 7 days,........You go thru a gate to a dungeon, and.....crash......OOO000OO0000...

imhop, by accepting these types of things, the game becomes playable, and not just one crushing dissapointment after another.........How about you all, What adjustments have you made in thought process, play style, ect, that keep you playing the game without going crazy?

G

- Lots of Promises, lots of 'new dev teams' or major internal changes breed more new promises, nothing ever gets fufilled. (Expect promises, then silence, then more promises, then more silence)

- If they implement a storyline or a plot, it will never actually get finished. (Ricardo Plotline, current Moon plotline among others)

- Any neat ideas are always half thought out, half implemented. (Virtue System/Items/Quests, we have 2 Seperate Quest systems, KR Client).

- Don't expect any GM Support.

- Expect Bugs (See previous)

- Expect UO to evolve to the least common denominator. Whether this is systems that make it more like 'Other Games' or whether it's whatever is the easiest way to do anything at all (look at any 'systems' used, turnins, tradeins, 'etc. See all 2D graphics horridly done and added to 2d client)

- Expect the loss of Cohesion, Realism, Immersion for the sake of easy or stupid (see all Localization changes, tags on T-Shirts, Neon colours 'etc)

- Expect EA. It's all about the money, and not at all about the Community. They've so far managed to assimilate many smaller, decent companies and turn them into cold profit centers.

- Expect to lose friends & communities IG as less people can stand all of the bad decisions that get made for the red-headed stepchilde that is now UO.

Hrmph, I hadn't meant for them to be all mostly negative, but it's mostly the disappointments that we learn over the years. I do greatly however miss better times when there was more people around and more actual adventure in the land. Maybe that affects my outlook on how things are, but I suppose that in itself is all about the learning process as well.

~Rai

G

- You will never stop being amazed by how much players can whine, pancake, and moan about absoloutely everything, for little to no reason.

G

<blockquote><hr>

- You will never stop being amazed about how much players can whine, pancake, and moan about absoloutely everything, for little to no reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the forums are here just for us to sing songs and play hopscotch, right?

G

No, but they also aren't intended solely to give off an unending high-pitched whining tone that can disturb small children and animals sensitive to the sound.

G

That no matter what...I will not find as much enjoyment and
entertainment for my 10.00 a month.

Movies for 2is usually 22.00 and then no guarantee it will be good, and only
lasts 3 hours max to begin with.

I don't agree with everything that has happened over the last 10 years
but I definitely agree with more than I don't. And hopefully we will all be
around to praise and whine for another 10 years.

G

Ghosty

If I have learned anything at all, it is this:

... it's just a game. I have plenty of important things to stress about; UO will never be one of them.

G

Well the turn in needs some love but I bet they are fixed a bit. Aside from the weakness there.

The patch is awesome. Great stuff.

Hex_Europa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing i've learnt over the years of playing this game.

You can't please everyone

T

TirNaNog

<blockquote><hr>

Never to trust a man named Longjohns Wilkinson.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very close to one of the most valuable things UO has taught me, which I apply both in UO and in the real world.
The lesson: Never trust a man riding a llama.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If I have learned anything at all, it is this:

... it's just a game. I have plenty of important things to stress about; UO will never be one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

*nods* I could not have been for eloquent and to the point.

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail,

Playing Ultima Online for almost 10 1/2 years has helped to teach me patience, an extremely valuable lesson learned. It has taught me that folks I meet "face to face" are but the smallest percentage of folks I am able to interact with from throughout this world.

It has helped me to learn and understand the importance of making "healthy life choices" in the "real" world that I may best enjoy whatever time I spend in virtual worlds.

Awesome lessons are there to be learned if we will only open our eyes, minds, and hearts to them.

Thanks UO; thanks EA, and thanks to all who have played, are playing, and will play (especially on Baja)...hehe.

Elladan of Baja

G

<blockquote><hr>

- You will never stop being amazed by how much players can whine, pancake, and moan about absoloutely everything, for little to no reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Self-Fufilling Reply... Huh...

~Rai