• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What has become of the Enhanced Client?

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey folks,

I stopped playing UO over a year ago. I am wondering if there has been any improvement to the enhanced client since then? I didn't find any information on the EA website. What interests me most:
  • Performance improvements (especially memory leak)
  • Better resolution
  • Better quality of graphics (I remember they wanted to revamp the ground and plants)
  • Better character graphics (I do not mean the paperdoll, but the character in game)
Thanks!

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Performance improvements (especially memory leak)
This fluctuates... a patch brought a noticeable performance improvement some time ago, but a later patch lowered the performance again.

• Better resolution
  • Better quality of graphics (I remember they wanted to revamp the ground and plants)
The ground textures have been sharpened; the effect is subtle so it's difficult to notice any difference in particular, but the overall effect is that the ground looks less "blurred" and items stand out with more contrast.
Grimm is still working on recreating the environment art (buildings and other statics) in higher resolution but keeping the "2D feel", there are some screenshots on the UOHerald.

Better character graphics (I do not mean the paperdoll, but the character in game)
I don't think that there are any plans to do massive changes on in-game character graphics at this time, however some of the creature models have also been sharpened to make them look less "washed out". The effect is particularly noticeable for dragons.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey folks,

I stopped playing UO over a year ago. I am wondering if there has been any improvement to the enhanced client since then? I didn't find any information on the EA website. What interests me most:
  • Performance improvements (especially memory leak)
  • Better resolution
  • Better character graphics (I do not mean the paperdoll, but the character in game)
Thanks!

To answer your question absolutely nothing. The game is being left to rot at the wayside....

You had great ideas and vision about what is needed for UO. You were the first to call out for better New Player Welcoming's and Introductions to UO. You had great ideas with your vision of a Sea Expansion pack with ship building etc.

The video you created showing UO's diversified game play was really awesome and it should have been put on the forefront of UO's herald page to show anyone who visits the site what UO is all about.

Right now it doesn't look good for UO in terms of any future improvements. It's all being kept a 'secret' which tells me they have nothing going on or as history would indicate it's all lip service. They've said now for nearly two years they are working on high resolution with zero to show for it.

A damn shame the way this game has been treated.

Felonious Monk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To say absolutely nothing is ridiculous. Art files have been polished, dungeons are revamped. there is a huge story arc in progress. Now, The usual player cynicism is fully in place. Including my own. I do recognize effort and results. Mesanna being promoted to producer is a bigger plus than many may realize.
I'm not going all Fanboie here. The fact of the matter is we now have a producer who plays the game. Sure things could be better. We have creative resources going in game.
It's good to see you checking in Hawkeye. The game is still being run by a corporate conglomerate that treats UO like a redheaded step-child asking for the it's 3rd pork chop because we don't have 10 million subs. We do have life.
Dont be a stranger. Many of us have appreciated your views and efforts..........rock on

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to say for me the long appearing crash issues are fixed with the last crashbug fix, the performance seem to be better, but not good at all. The monsters are more ugly because of its coloring, no i cant say you should come back, for me UO is on a long dead line at the moment.

sativa green

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i haven't crashed to desktop once since it was doing it a few times a day, but other than that, the EC is stuck in time.