• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What Happened to Player Owned Housing?

Muckbeast

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What ever happened to this feature? It seems like modern MMOs have totally given up on this. What a shame! I love player owned housing. My wife and I kept our DAoC accounts for at least 6+ months extra solely because of our house.

I wrote a blog post about this recently - focusing mainly on what people want from a player housing system.

Little House on the Internet: What You Want from MMO Housing

So what's the deal? Why has this feature disappeared? What would you want from this kind of game feature?

M

mecantile

It doesn't really go with the flow of the actual game. None of the items can be dropped on the ground or used for any type of decoration i.e. UO, SWG. So not only would they have to create housing, the would have to either create new items for decoration or go back and re-write hundreds of thousands of lines of code to allow us to do so. Not to mention the fact that there is no space; however, they could follow LotRO and use instanced housing. Another factor is that the game does not rely on personal vendors.

V

vixen4u

it simply is not needed in world of warcraft. I played UO and I dont miss housing at all. Housing simply is not important in a game that is like world of warcraft.

D

Dad

I agree - there's no need for houses in WoW. It's better to have your home in a city with a bank, vendors, etc. available.:bdh:

B

Bud_Weiser

What ever happened to this feature? It seems like modern MMOs have totally given up on this. What a shame! I love player owned housing. My wife and I kept our DAoC accounts for at least 6+ months extra solely because of our house.

I wrote a blog post about this recently - focusing mainly on what people want from a player housing system.

Little House on the Internet: What You Want from MMO Housing

So what's the deal? Why has this feature disappeared? What would you want from this kind of game feature?
I would quit WoW if they put this in.

M

mecantile

You think lag in BG's sucks-wait till you see the same lag with massive battles in a housing district. The game would be virtually unplayable.

R

RichDC

Its because WoW has no Community...therefore no need to create houses to hold the community.

WoW = One big quest!

B

Bud_Weiser

Its because WoW has no Community...therefore no need to create houses to hold the community.

WoW = One big quest!
Wow, what an ignorant remark. You either don't play WoW, or you are a misfit who lacks social skills and cannot make friends.

My realm has a great community, good guilds that work together and some killer PvP.

So yeah, I beg of you, LRN2B80n00b.

K

Krou`z Harrison

Im with you on the housing, keep the faith and keep pushing maybe one day they will implement the housing.

Single most awesome thing in any mmo, housing imo.

E

Eldorian

Im with you on the housing, keep the faith and keep pushing maybe one day they will implement the housing.

Single most awesome thing in any mmo, housing imo.
If that was the case, The Sims Online would have flourished like no other instead of dropping dead.

M

mecantile

QFTT

Seriously, I don't think people fully understand the techincal ramifications required to implement this feature and how it affects connection speed. Think how it would be trying to walk/do something near houses that are loaded for bear then cast spells or have hundreds of people around.

They will just continue to whine about it, but in the end it just won't work.

M

Maetrix Highmoon

As much as I feel for you (Still play UO for my houses), I agree with everyone else that it just doesn't seem to fit in WOW.

P

Piper Everwood

I agree I still play uo for the ability to build and desing houses but it just doesnt fit wow. There really isnt a need for housing in game not to mention think of all the land mass that would be given up for housing. As much as I love housing in uo it just doesnt fit into wow. I would rather have to open land to explore, hunt, quest, and work skills or trades.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only way I could see housing ever being in WoW would be instanced housing and maybe player cities where its guilds that own the places and can do stuff with them. Perhaps not decorate like in UO, but for instance purchase/craft certain decorative ways your guild hall can look like.

But a sprawling mess of houses in WoW? No way, never going to happen.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ya like the server lag you get when you try to do a 50 man raid on a major town isnt ruining the game either...

G

GuideGuru

I gotta admit, a guild house would be pretty awesome actually. Being able to just have or see guild houses that maybe upgrade as you accomplish more and more raid or pvp achievements. I mean I would pay to walk into a guild house that does world firsts and see a bunch of raid bosses heads laying around the place.

MisPrinted_Lies

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Housing in WOW would have effected my decision to stay or leave in a little way, I think once you become accustomed to something it is hard to change.

F

Fojos

QFTT

Seriously, I don't think people fully understand the techincal ramifications required to implement this feature and how it affects connection speed. Think how it would be trying to walk/do something near houses that are loaded for bear then cast spells or have hundreds of people around.

They will just continue to whine about it, but in the end it just won't work.
It all depends on how they would implement housing. It could work, if they did it efficiently.