• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What good is a 5 slot Giant Beetle now?

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I finished training a 1 slot beetle last night and noticed that I couldn't add any magical properties but rune corruption and poisoning. I found out is is my fault and i added things in the wrong order. I wont make that same mistake twice.

Last edited:

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
sorry to say my friend you got hit by the sealing bug.. its a bug that makes it so once ya add rune corruption to a member of the beetle family it lock out the options of the other 2 moves.. for beetles ya want to add it in this order.. special move/ or magic move 1, Special move /or magic move 2(most don't add a 2nd as its a damage lose for the most part), Rune corruption, Poisoning skill .. hate having to give bag news =* [

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When did you last try to train one? TC? TC has options not present on the live system's creatures.

I trained mine the week after training went live, and never had an AoE option, that I can remember, unless it went away after I picked Armor ignore and/or mortal strike that first level.

The fire beetles have AoE options, but selecting of certain properties make the AoE choice drop off.

Personally, I don't even like most AoE options - most of them make no sense and are more trouble than they are worth (the last trip to Fel I made, one of our party's AoE started hitting everyone but the owner, and the pet would change targets randomly even as all the pets who were injured or their owners were injured turned on it, resulting in all the other pets dogpiling and killing the AoE pet instead of the spawn - just what you need in the middle of a Harrower).

The beetle is a good pet for tanking or holding off groups of lesser spawn, dispatching them one at a time. If you want AoE, you must be only hunting in Tram-rules, or running solo in Fel - because that's the only way AoE is remotely safe.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry to say my friend you got hit by the sealing bug.. its a bug that makes it so once ya add rune corruption to a member of the beetle family it lock out the options of the other 2 moves.. for beetles ya want to add it in this order.. special move/ or magic move 1, Special move /or magic move 2(most don't add a 2nd as its a damage lose for the most part), Rune corruption, Poisoning skill .. hate having to give bag news =* [
Thank you I will just have to train another one. I appreciate you letting me know. I admit it is my fault and apologize for putting the devs on blast.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When did you last try to train one? TC? TC has options not present on the live system's creatures.

I trained mine the week after training went live, and never had an AoE option, that I can remember, unless it went away after I picked Armor ignore and/or mortal strike that first level.

The fire beetles have AoE options, but selecting of certain properties make the AoE choice drop off.

Personally, I don't even like most AoE options - most of them make no sense and are more trouble than they are worth (the last trip to Fel I made, one of our party's AoE started hitting everyone but the owner, and the pet would change targets randomly even as all the pets who were injured or their owners were injured turned on it, resulting in all the other pets dogpiling and killing the AoE pet instead of the spawn - just what you need in the middle of a Harrower).

The beetle is a good pet for tanking or holding off groups of lesser spawn, dispatching them one at a time. If you want AoE, you must be only hunting in Tram-rules, or running solo in Fel - because that's the only way AoE is remotely safe.
I solo in fel all the time. I found out I locked it out by adding rune corruption first, i was wrong and admit it.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

hmmm. Are you sure that is still the case with Fel and AOE Basara? We were in Fel doing spawns and this did not happen with
the poison AOE poison breath..Is this something that may have been fixed already? It did not happen with us. Should only happen if you are red/gray?? Not sure. Additional info greatly appreciated since goo/p.breath/v.bite/AOE's not too bad for clearing spawn in general.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A bunch of us - all blue, did a harrower in Deceit- and something caused at least 1 AoE pet to start hitting everyone (in addition to the tentacles' AoE), resulting in all the other tamers' pets gang-banging the one pet, resulting in the pet and tamer going grey. After the second time, the owner left it dead. Not sure of the specific AoE attack.

We've not had that issue with AoE pets with regular champ spawns before or since - just that Harrower.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Cu's AoE hit a town guard, in Trammel and the guard attacked him. I wasn't paying attention or I could have kept the Cu healed because he wasn't insta whacked, but the guard got him anyway.