• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tech What Exactly Is Windows 10?

Do you think this is the beginning of the end for Microsoft?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • I think Bill Gates was abducted by aliens...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What exactly is a "Microsoft"?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The longer I use Windows 10, the greater my antipathy toward it grows. I started off enthusiastically, but with some reservations and cynicism, because the word all over the net was that this was "the best Windows ever". After several months of using the Preview version, followed by several months of usage, I think I'm ready to pass my final verdict.

Windows 10 on a PC is Windows 8, with the Windows 7 GUI tacked on, to make all the people who hated Windows 8 on their PC happy—plus Cortana. Now Cortana is the interactive, multimedia front end for Bing, and Bing is the new beating heart of Microsoft. It represents Microsoft's attempt to muscle in on Google's turf.

Bing is, like the Google search engine, the data collection backend supporting the new Microsoft vision for its business model, which is selling targeted advertising. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I guess Microsoft really admires Google.

There has been a softening of the latent Microsoft hatred out there in cyberspace lately. Maybe Microsoft isn't evil anymore? Maybe Google is more evil than Microsoft? Maybe Obama is the Republican the Republicans wouldn't let join their party because... well, you know...

The truth is Microsoft is a huge company, with a huge war chest, that lost it's way in the early years of the 21st century, and is now trying to find itself. So does Windows 10 represent Microsoft finding itself and ascending to the next level of consciousness? Just my opinion, but probably not.

I think Microsoft is going to continue to be a huge company, with a huge war chest, trying to find itself for some years to come. Someday maybe it will again find something that it does better than anyone else, and become a great company again. Or maybe someday it will finally burn through that huge war chest, and be bought out by Google...

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I haven't cared for Microsoft since I had to leave Windows 7. I detested 8 and 8.1, and I'm still not liking 10. As a person who probably qualifies as technologically illiterate, especially with the increasing complexity of all the so-called "advancements" these days, I guess I'm doomed to a future of ever-increasing aggravation and confusion. o.0

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just buy a tablet and start playing "pew pew" games, like some of us used to play in the late 70's in arcades. If you do that, your relationship with technology will become more clear....

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Just buy a tablet and start playing "pew pew" games, like some of us used to play in the late 70's in arcades. If you do that, your relationship with technology will become more clear....
No thanks. I'll stick with UO. When that ends, I'll go back to real world gardening. And maybe a bit of Zoo Tycoon. :rolleyes:

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well, at long last, I think I finally have a verdict on Windows 10.

It sucks.

Windows 7 64 remains, in my opinion, the best version of Windows. The only reason to switch to Windows 10 is that support for Windows 7 is inevitably going to end, and my guess is sooner rather than later.

Interesting and fairly accurate Windows 10 review.