• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] What does the game cache setting really do?

• Thread starter Old Man of UO
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
O

Old Man of UO

The user setting within the UI allows a max cache of 1024, but you can manually edit the UserSettings.xml file to whatever you like. Tired of the frequent crashes, I started playing with various settings - none of the video settings made any difference (though I did turn v-sync back on to smooth out the graphics). But setting the cache to 2048 may have helped.

So far, I've been running 5 days without a crash, maybe 20 hours total.

I don't know yet if this is a coincidence or if it is a real change. Anyone else want to try it and give feedback? I'm tired of all the crashes that I was getting, so I'm willing to listen to other suggestions.

A couple questions about this:
1) is the cache in RAM or on a disk swap file?
2) did I really increase the available cache by editing the UserSettings file, or is there a max cache that the game can use?