• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What do you think is the best free antivirus to use ?

Eros

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use Avira antivirus. It seems to be a pretty good free antivirus. After i first downloaded it. It caught a trogan horse and a worm in which my Norton antivirus didnt catch. Now im hearing about something called Firefox 3. Im not even sure if its a antivirus. Im just wondering if someone can tell me if its a antivirus and if its as good or better than Avira antivirus ?

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Firefox is a web browser. It may be more secure than the one you are using.

As far as Antivirus products, my experience is that the good ones are not free, but affordable. I recommend NOD32.

T

T_Amon_from_work

I use Avira antivirus. It seems to be a pretty good free antivirus. After i first downloaded it. It caught a trogan horse and a worm in which my Nortan antivirus didnt catch. Now im hearing about something called Firefox 3. Im not even sure if its a antivirus. Im just wondering if someone can tell me if its a antivirus and if its as good or better than Avira antivirus ?
Firefox 3 is a browser (Firefox), version 3 (newest) from Mozilla (linky).

As for anti-viral products I use 2 at the moment:
CA ezArmor (includes spyware proggie) - free to customers of Time-Warner Roadrunner service in my area. If you use this broadband provider, see if the downloads pages on their site have it for you as well. Regular updates.

AVG Antivirus, version 8. From Grisoft (linky). Again, regular updates and moderately configurable. Version 8 introduced a few new things and I have disable 2 of them because they interfere with UO. But otherwise a decent free item.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Avira, the AV you're running currently, has one of the best, if not the best, virus detection rates among the free AV solutions.

Stick with it.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
I also use Avira Antivir (Premium though) and I have no complaints whatsoever. :)

IMHO one of the best antivirus programs out there.

M

Millie

I suspect that he wants more people to see it.
Would you of commented about it if it was a poll and not a question?

I seem to have good luck with Avg. free software

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use Avast because it comes with a lot of tools and it's free. Granted I think there is some very slight system slowdown. Perhaps I could try AVG sometime in the future though the free version seems lacking on features.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suspect that he wants more people to see it.
Would you of commented about it if it was a poll and not a question?

I seem to have good luck with Avg. free software
It really shouldn't be here. If the mods want to relocate every post on Siege over to SnR, they should try to follow the same logic and put OT posts in the UHall off topic area...la

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I used AVG for a very long time... until it started interfering with my Windows updates and email.... then I switched to Avast.... which I rather like... Avast picked up a Trojan that AvG missed but it's likely that AVG would pick up something Avast missed.... so you never know.... Kinda hit and miss when it comes to anti-virus software.... I highly doubt that even any paid for one will keep you "safe" from getting anything.

M

Millie

I also run a Pandasoft free scan on my computer once a month as a back up.

Eros

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Avira, the AV you're running currently, has one of the best, if not the best, virus detection rates among the free AV solutions.

Stick with it.
Thx, for the info. I think I will stick with Avira. Anyways, like I said it did detect a trogan horse and worm in which Norton did not.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Stick with it.
Ditto. Avira's AntiVir, Mozilla's Firefox 3, and Spybot Search & Destroy.