• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What do I do with these?

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
I found these on the ground, what are they for and how do I use them?

Note: I did not upgrade to ToL yet.

Thanks

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When you do get ToL, certain skills you'll want to use the masteries at whatever level you have handy. I routinely end up giving level 1 or 2 masteries for Taming or Spellweaving to people because they can't find level 3s for sale on my shard, and the lower types are better than nothing at all while you wait.

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
I read up some on masteries. Do I need the book to use them? The book sounds really hard to get. I ended up finding a book on a player vendor. It says "book of masteries" and has 45 spells but they all seem to be for bards and I can't put any of my primers in it. I payed 25k for it, did I get ripped off?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I read up some on masteries. Do I need the book to use them? The book sounds really hard to get. I ended up finding a book on a player vendor. It says "book of masteries" and has 45 spells but they all seem to be for bards and I can't put any of my primers in it. I payed 25k for it, did I get ripped off?
You double click the primers to use them. They don't go in the book. Just make sure the book is in your backpack to use the masteries.

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Oh OK. Yea, I tried to use some of the skills from the book and it said "im not on correct path" or something. Are there different books?, mine seems to just have bard and mage skills.

Oh, scratch that, I found more pages to the book. I'm a big dummy. LOL

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
I have a couple more questions please. :)

Do all books for mastery have 45 spells?
Do you need to use a primer each time use a mastery ability?
What if I soul stone off some of those skills on that char temporary?

Thanks

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The books have all the masteries listed, even though the character has none of them unless the appropriate primer is used (or quest done, to get the bard masteries).

Primers are a character modification, not a book thing. You use one on a character, the character has it. If you hand the book off to someone else, the access to the mastery does NOT go with the book, but stays with the character. You can pick up any mastery book, and use it, once you have used the mastery primer. The book's just the tool for picking/changing a mastery (you have to bring up the book's context menu, not its pages, to pick your initial mastery, or to change masteries), and to get the icons from to access the mastery powers.

You also don't have to use a lower level primer if you have a higher one. If you have a "I" and a"III" for a skill, you don't need to use the "I" nor do you need a "II" to upgrade from 1 to 3. You just use the "III" and you have all the abilities that the Mastery has, at the highest proficiency your real skill level allows.

Soulstoning has no effect on the mastery, other than you can't use it while the skill is off (there's a bug currently that allows some to be used improperly that is being fixed in the publish currently on Test Center).

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
"You just use the "III" and you have all the abilities that the Mastery has, at the highest proficiency your real skill level allows"

Yes, that is correct, I just checked it on Test Center.