• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What bow to craft for best Damage Per Second overall?

B

BadManiac

Or, what archer weapon to craft with a high end runic, if and when you get one? Which bow type has the best damage/swing speed, and the highest chance of exceptional success? What do you recommend crafting with a runic fletch kit?

I

imported_GFY

Bow types are like the flavor of the month. A while ago everyone loved magical short bows. Now the posts I read seem to favor heavy cross bows because the leeches seem to do better with a heavy hitting bow.

The best damage per second is the repeating crossbow. It's the fastest bow type but it doesn't hit very hard. (not my personal favorite)

Next is the magical short bow. It does a bit more damage per shot but it's still a fast bow type. These are more popular and in much more general use. (I have a few.
)

A popular bow type right now, (according to what I've read) is a heavy crossbow. These are slower and if you want to make a very good one you'll need at least 30 ssi on it. These are popular ATM because they do good damage per hit and that allows better leech per hit with whatever leeches the bow has.

The rest of the bows are really more personal preference. I like composite bows because I like the armor ignore special. Others like different bows based on what the specials are.

If your making something for yourself make what you'd liike to use. If your looking to make good gold on a bow make on that is popular with the players on your shard. ATM the heavy crossbow seems like a good choice.

C

Connor_Graham

A heavy crossbow with 30+ SSI has a higher DPS than any other bow.

B

BadManiac

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, shame they are so hard to make exceptional.

Also another question, semi related, I recently read that the craftable mini arty bows could be made exceptional, and gain the 40% DI bonus, is this live yet or not?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This is not live yet I believe its supposed to be coming next though
I personal cant wait

I

imported_Jimmy Pop

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Put these numbers in the Stratics weapon calculator:

100 Str
100 Tacs
100 Anat
150 Dex
50 Damage Increase
30 Swing Speed

30.0 Heavy Crossbow
30.5 Crossbow

Another thing to remember is that is with every shot hitting. It doesn't take misses into account.

When you include Hit Specials or Special Moves into the equation, those limited shots mean limited chances for specials to be applied.

For the OP, also consider what bows would sell. That way if you get 2-3 very good bows, you can sell a couple and still have yours.

Composites, Shortbows, Crossbows and Heavy's are probably the most sought after.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I personally don't like the heavy for pvm it has poor specials and 1 miss and your dps is shot I recently bought a decent one with 35ssi 35 mana leech 39 DI
and it sucked I could kill ogre lords faster with my 30 ssi bow with 30 mana leech and 37 Di and thats with out using the specials at all if I use the specials the heavy is no competition and my magical short is just as good and shoots so fast that if i continually hit I can stop or seriously slow them down and it is 20 ssi 20 mana 20 stamina no DI and 32 lightning the only draw back is I go through a lot of arrows fast but to each there own its all about play style and what you enjoy the most oh and the short also has 22 life leech

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This was just posted
# Weapons should no longer lose properties when runic- or exceptionally-crafted. This should apply to everything, including ML recipe weapons
# ML recipe bows will be able to be exceptionally crafted and get the Arms Lore bonus as well

This will go into test center next week they say

M

MrMiagi

Does this mean we can craft stuff like the night reaper with a heartwood runic and get 4 extra properties?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
the properties will stay the same the only difference will be that the lore and exceptional bonus will be applied there will be no chance for extra mods
this is still very cool basicly the named bows you can craft now can have 40% damage increase i believe atleast thats how I came to understand it

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, shame they are so hard to make exceptional.

Also another question, semi related, I recently read that the craftable mini arty bows could be made exceptional, and gain the 40% DI bonus, is this live yet or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 4 heartwood runics waiting for that.

B

BadManiac

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]4? Wow someone's been busy

What are you crafting once the changes go live?

G

Reading what was posted, I'm not exactly going to be rushing to make the minor arty bows. a whopping 5% exceptional at GM fletching means eave with my +25% tali I'm only looking at a 30% chance. My Smith can make anything 100% exceptional with the right hammer, Tailor pretty close to the same, Tinker, Carpenter all pretty good but Fletcher gets a whopping 2 bows with 100% exceptional chance. Add that to the fact that you need at least a Yew runic to make a decent bow, and its pretty much only the scripters with the runics to burn trying for exceptionals.....

Rey~

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]4? Wow someone's been busy

What are you crafting once the changes go live?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure just yet. The first couple of runic's I got, I used for Magical shortbows. I tried crafting from ash at first, then normal wood then enhancing. I didn't see much of a difference, except that when I failed enhancing.

The last one, i made crossbows, h.crossbows, and composite bows.

The bow I use currently is a composite bow, 30%ML, 42% Velocity, 35 SSI, 45DI. There is something else on it, can't rememeber right now (i am in class).

But, I'll probably test out the changes on test and see.

G

It's hard to do batch testing because I didn't have a house on test, and with the recent issues, I cannot place one. So, I am limited into what I can do sitting at the bank, which I hate.

Also, there isn't a tali on test. And the bows are 50/5 (would be 77/32 with my tali on atlantic).

I've gotten a couple of nice ones, but right now, I am holding back any verdicts until I get a better sample set.