• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

We want to share your Voice.

How Excited are you over Shroud of the Avatar

• Extremely Excited. I may not sleep til Launch, my Bank Hates, me and Kickstarter Loves me.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Very Excited. Lord British has crafted an RPG! All is right with the world.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Excited. As the heavens opened, and a jubilant chorus rained down upon us. "SotA"

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Happy. "Oh, I kept the first for another day....." This day is coming.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Intrested but want to know more. “What is God singing in his profound Delphi of gold and shadow?”

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Curious but Not Interested at the Moment. "Hey would you look at that....what were you saying?"

• Undecied. "What happens to a dream deferred? "

• No Concern. This point in your life has past. "Yet knowing how way leads on to way..."

• Total voters

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I was extremely fortunate to have the chance to speak with Lord British himself, about Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues. Most of us will not get that opportunity, but that does not mean your voice can not be heard. We know that Lord British views these forums, he has posted requesting feedback in the past, and very likely will in the future.

We want to hear from those of you who have viewed the interview, checked out the the Prototype Assets we were provided, and have been following the project as news has released. There have already been discussions on the potential of a follow up interview, and instead of us having the limits of an NDA, we want to voice your, the communities, questions. Provide a realistic sense of how interested you are in Shroud of the Avatar to Richard Garriott and his Portalarium team.

So please complete the poll, and provide feedback on the various released media, and submit your questions below. We want your voice to be heard.

BenK

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
"Extremely Excited. I may not sleep til Launch, my Bank Hates, me and Kickstarter Loves me." Sums it up about perfectly :)

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tossed $100 at this one. Had it been anybody besides Garriott and Hickman I probably would have only backed it enough for beta access. :)

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I been mostly happy about SotA - although I think the upping of gifties for support is borderline bribery. I glance at the updates mostly - until I saw a familiar name...

THEN I got a bit more excited and am just about squee-ing all over mahself seeing the announcement of Tracy Hickman joining the team. If they can pull Margaret Weis and Clyde Caldwell in as well... heh... I'll move back to Texas and become a groupie in Austin again! I think I still have ties with the Celestial Kingdom there-- :D

Dragonlance was the first "MODERN" fantasy series I really got into as a kid (Narnia was first, sowwy, then came Rainbow Horse, then Watership Down & Book of the Dun Cow) - that was back... augh... early 80's I think? I was the lone girl in the D&D club in middle school and yes, this persona was born on that shaky table with a set of crystal dice on loan from the teacher-advisor! Tasselhoff was my theiving hero (I had a "theif" character modeled after him, her name was Hullaballoo Verbosa) and Kaitlin was such a tragic anti-hero, I UNDERSTOOD her! Raistlin was my crush - I so wanted to be the girl to ease his torment! Dragonlance opened the world of "chicks in chainmail" for me... I still have my very raggedy paperbacks (I want hardbacks for mah library collection!) and a whole lot of DL franchaise items (gaming modules, "art of" books, even some fan-fics before there was fan-fics!). Shoot, I even carved and resculpted lead miniatures to mimic the dragons I saw in Caldwell's art!

.... I'm.... such... a .... geek....

Wow... just... wow! I feel almost like a young girl again thinking about it all! The fantasy! the adventure!

And I'M HELPING MAKE IT HAPPEN!

*gasp gasp gasp*

Payday is tomorrow! :D Already a kickstarter (see siggy?), m'thinks I can put forth a bit more because NOW I'm excited about something again (sorry UO.... ).

Dag Nabbit

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I will play this game and I have donated through Kickstarter,but it is starting to feel like it is leaning toward 'pay to win' with addition of free starter weapons,free village plot deed,ability to tame an otherwise untamable beast,and commission-free vendors. RG needs to slow down on that I think.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I been mostly happy about SotA - although I think the upping of gifties for support is borderline bribery. I glance at the updates mostly - until I saw a familiar name...

THEN I got a bit more excited and am just about squee-ing all over mahself seeing the announcement of Tracy Hickman joining the team. If they can pull Margaret Weis and Clyde Caldwell in as well... heh... I'll move back to Texas and become a groupie in Austin again! I think I still have ties with the Celestial Kingdom there-- :D

Dragonlance was the first "MODERN" fantasy series I really got into as a kid (Narnia was first, sowwy, then came Rainbow Horse, then Watership Down & Book of the Dun Cow) - that was back... augh... early 80's I think? I was the lone girl in the D&D club in middle school and yes, this persona was born on that shaky table with a set of crystal dice on loan from the teacher-advisor! Tasselhoff was my theiving hero (I had a "theif" character modeled after him, her name was Hullaballoo Verbosa) and Kaitlin was such a tragic anti-hero, I UNDERSTOOD her! Raistlin was my crush - I so wanted to be the girl to ease his torment! Dragonlance opened the world of "chicks in chainmail" for me... I still have my very raggedy paperbacks (I want hardbacks for mah library collection!) and a whole lot of DL franchaise items (gaming modules, "art of" books, even some fan-fics before there was fan-fics!). Shoot, I even carved and resculpted lead miniatures to mimic the dragons I saw in Caldwell's art!

.... I'm.... such... a .... geek....

Wow... just... wow! I feel almost like a young girl again thinking about it all! The fantasy! the adventure!

And I'M HELPING MAKE IT HAPPEN!

*gasp gasp gasp*

Payday is tomorrow! :D Already a kickstarter (see siggy?), m'thinks I can put forth a bit more because NOW I'm excited about something again (sorry UO.... ).

Your bookshelves look like mine?

But seriously I'm excited to see Hickman get on board with SotA...

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
my shelves don't bow like yours :p
I started reading the Wheel of Time but honestly didn't really get into it like I did with the Dragonlance books. I got Xanth, did you read Anthony's Geodyssey books? Those are an interesting concept. I also got some much older stuff - the obligatory Hobbit & the LOTR books printed in the 1970s & hardback, Dune, Hitchhiker's Guide & the like - a slew of Stephen King/Richard Bachman - Pern books from the beginning, Avalon, oh, the Helliconia books! Dude, I really have a library! And yeah, I have all sorts of computer games (every single Ultima & UO version put out, except for the beta... my sis got that). I even have the collector's edition of SPORE (cos a girl gotta make the world right, eh?)

I'd take pics of my library room, but it is all crowded right now due to remodeling other rooms of the house so my bookshelves are hidden by furniture & stuff. Hard to believe how much stuff I can collect... oh wait... is like my UO home! LOL!
Yeah, I'm also playing RG's little Ultimate Collector game in FB (lol!) is what is biding my time with waiting for UO to get back online from their stuff. My one day off in the middle of the week for a long time, and UO is down!

I will say, my D&D book collection puts yours to shame, even have the first Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook (i swear that book was self published!)! :p

Last edited:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Up through Book 4 WoT was a great series... I forget if it was book 5 or 6 that I got a bit sick of the pacing, the starting of various storyline threads only to forget them and so on. A REALLY fun author to get into reading is Steven Brust and his Dragaeran series (Vlad Taltos and the Khaavren Romances).

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
my shelves don't bow like yours :p
I started reading the Wheel of Time but honestly didn't really get into it like I did with the Dragonlance books. I got Xanth, did you read Anthony's Geodyssey books? Those are an interesting concept. I also got some much older stuff - the obligatory Hobbit & the LOTR books printed in the 1970s & hardback, Dune, Hitchhiker's Guide & the like - a slew of Stephen King/Richard Bachman - Pern books from the beginning, Avalon, oh, the Helliconia books! Dude, I really have a library! And yeah, I have all sorts of computer games (every single Ultima & UO version put out, except for the beta... my sis got that). I even have the collector's edition of SPORE (cos a girl gotta make the world right, eh?)

I'd take pics of my library room, but it is all crowded right now due to remodeling other rooms of the house so my bookshelves are hidden by furniture & stuff. Hard to believe how much stuff I can collect... oh wait... is like my UO home! LOL!
Yeah, I'm also playing RG's little Ultimate Collector game in FB (lol!) is what is biding my time with waiting for UO to get back online from their stuff. My one day off in the middle of the week for a long time, and UO is down!

I will say, my D&D book collection puts yours to shame, even have the first Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook (i swear that book was self published!)! :p
Actually I only picked most of those up in the past 5 years or so, believe it or not I had a house break in and among the items taken were my D&D books, and my M:TG cards, the later I never started trying to replace. The Downside was this was after 3rd edition was released and finding 2nd edition books wasn't nearly as easy. Luckly after a move I wound up rather close to a used bookstore and managed to pick up those as I dropped in until I moved to where I live at now.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I had a house break in and among the items taken were my D&D books, and my M:TG cards.
OMG! a player raided your house!! What guild?!

J/K

Honestly - if someone were to steal my first edition Dungeons and Dragons books, I'd hunt them down personally. You cannot replace those - even the used book stores here (legendary for RPG stuffs) want my books. The owner of one regularly emails me seeing if I'm ready to part with them - he wants them for his own collection.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
OMG! a player raided your house!! What guild?!

J/K

Honestly - if someone were to steal my first edition Dungeons and Dragons books, I'd hunt them down personally. You cannot replace those - even the used book stores here (legendary for RPG stuffs) want my books. The owner of one regularly emails me seeing if I'm ready to part with them - he wants them for his own collection.
shhh don't tell anyone I got that first edition Monster Manual for just a couple of bucks. Best part is it's from the first large scale print run. They changed much of the art after that run, conservatives were complaining that the female monsters were too anatomically correct in the area of the chesticles. The various handbooks I've managed to acquire I think I paid $1.70 each for them. That's a perk from my job, I work at a thrift store, and get a 15% discount. The person that sorts, and prices the books knows nothing about D&D related materials...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Up through Book 4 WoT was a great series... I forget if it was book 5 or 6 that I got a bit sick of the pacing, the starting of various storyline threads only to forget them and so on.
That did get a bit annoying but those story lines all get tied up before the series is over. 6 books is less than half the series, everything just about get tied up by the end. He did get quite a few story lines started and unfortunately the author died and the series was finished by a different author he'd selected for the job.