• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Was making the Halloween drops shard bound overkill?

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This has been kind of bugging me over the last week. Obviously the goal from the start was to curb unattended harvesting of drops in Deceit. The addition of paragons and removing the ability to life leech them were simple but pretty effective in combating unattended scripters. It should have been enough.

But no, it wasn't. They had to go and make everything shard bound too.

I hate the fact that I can no longer transfer a character somewhere else with his damn outfit in tact. I have to remove one piece of it now...it's just irritating.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope and I applaud that specific decision and hope they do it with all event ****.

Like it's not my fault atl is over crowded so ppl go to low pop shards which F that shard.

Last edited:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I like the shard bound concept personally. I mean maybe it is not needed on the very low tier items (less than 20) but on the higher ends it works well imo. Will make people have to change gear up if they are leaving shards to farm scrolls etc elsewhere as well.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yes. That theory was one theory, about the shard bound items, that it will keep them on the different shards.
NOW however, the writing on the wall is that lots of people if not ALL, will develop characters in ATL, and play those during these shard bound item events! Or those that can xfer chars there, will DO so and stay there for these evets. So that they can sell these items very much far easier. Not complaining here, and my 2 stam epps are not ATL bound, neither the invasion plans I got. But lots of folks are talking about MOVING their game to ATL next few weeks/months. So the fear is that low pop shards will get even deader for the most part. And that the "mall" will get even more populated.
Flip side of this, imagine doing Deceit event items competing with 15-20 other players, vs competing with 150 or so others in ATL. In ATL you will have to wait till 3:00 AM when less people are on, maybe? However 3:00 AM in the US may be prime time elsewhere, and there still could be lots of players on doing the same thing.
It will be interesting to see how population dynamics play into this esp. with new folks, trying to make some UO gold.
Also, if the rewards are junk, this will affect it also. From Deceit stuff, other than deco, the only 2 items that were decent for most players were the stam eps, and perhaps the Katakotl ring for some people, and possibly the Serp Jawbone, other stuff not too hot.

Its a hard thing to say, but the only thing that could "normalize" x-shard items, is first to get rid of shard bound property, and same time make gates to ALL SHARDS, that allow you to cross anywhere for a price. That would neutralise or reduce the power of the Shields, that could still be able to be used by their owners for free, as it is now. Any subscribing player would be able to xshard anywhere for a price that is attainable. Make it the less years the more price etc. Or open it for free, completely. This may destabilize some markets like the Real Estate sellers that sell for mint in ATL, etc. But possibly help the game overall, and increase its longevity.

We will have to wait and see what happens.

**Slowly goes to a quiet, dark corner and hides under a table, to avoid the onslaught of missile objects, and rotten tomatoes and vegies coming this way..** :devil:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
That gets us back to the overall 'should shard xfer be allowed' deal imo. Never been a fan of it, but the Devs saw a way to turn a profit, so they did it. Imo it should be limited to a one way xfer every 6 month basis, or a one way from a dead shard to a livelier shard only. Neither of which will ever happen.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I understand "shard bound", it prevents RMT and arbitrage across shards (farming/buying here, selling there).

However, I think "account bound" would have accomplished the same while allowing players to move to other shards in the future.

I also understand that "shard bound" also somehow helps traders, however, let's be honest, nobody is selling such (good) stuff on smaller shards anyway. Everybody went farming for himself. Just go to any smaller shard and look for the epaulettes on vendors - nothing.

So the only shard where "shard bound" items are on sale, and this way revitalizing the economy, is on Atlantic, where prices are heavily inflated and the RMT-ers are already anyway.

Last edited:

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The whole Atlantic/transfer/shopping/etc damage is done. It can never be undone. I told them on the official forums way before this event and the shard bound stuff that basically the cat is out of the bag & they needed to allow some way all players had access to some sort of a global shopping system. People cried about how unfair it would be for people who spent vet picks on shard sheilds, blah. blah. I don't give a ***. The situation in this game is a complete cluster & the devlopers are 100% to blame for letting it happen. I have a crapload of money from this event & I have nothing to spend it on. Almost everything I want to buy is on Atlantic & I do not want to go through the hassle of buying shard shields & the whole char transfer thing.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The whole Atlantic/transfer/shopping/etc damage is done. It can never be undone. I told them on the official forums way before this event and the shard bound stuff that basically the cat is out of the bag & they needed to allow some way all players had access to some sort of a global shopping system. People cried about how unfair it would be for people who spent vet picks on shard sheilds, blah. blah. I don't give a ***. The situation in this game is a complete cluster & the devlopers are 100% to blame for letting it happen. I have a crapload of money from this event & I have nothing to spend it on. Almost everything I want to buy is on Atlantic & I do not want to go through the hassle of buying shard shields & the whole char transfer thing.
I get what your saying but you cant buy shard shields, those are account bound.

But I'm paid out til 2024 which is when I'll get them. It's a gamble I'm worth taking and that bored.

But I'm an implant from Baja to gl. Plan on staying on gl but would like to "visit" friends hence the gamble.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
really bad idea, to pick and choose what is to be shard bound.

Either make everything shard bound, or make nothing shard bound. Get some F&*%$^%(* consistency in this game for a change.

Wharton

Adventurer
I kind of like the shard bound boots of escaping! They are shard bound, but have no durability! No repairing them ever! :)

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have no issue with them being shard bound, gives you incentive to have a home shard. Plus with the 30 day length I was able to get what I needed on 3 shards with what little playing time I have these days.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have no problem with shard bound. My only beef was that the highest point items should be in the 100 pt range. Since the original Doom event there has been turn in cost creep. But overall I liked shard bound. It at least stops transfer dupes which I consider a good thing.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no problem with shard bound. My only beef was that the highest point items should be in the 100 pt range. Since the original Doom event there has been turn in cost creep. But overall I liked shard bound. It at least stops transfer dupes which I consider a good thing.
Ya... some of those pts were ducking (intended) nuts.

I'm glad I got what I wanted which was jawbone & the map.

Then this was more impulse buy which I don't really regret, but I bought drops for book of three bec I did kind of want that as well but then I bought more for morpheus bec it works as a fall / Halloween deco.

So really I'm out 48m but its whatever...