• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Warrior's Guide. Part 2. Special moves and weapon selection.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
The first thing any warrior must to do is to choose a weapon skill. Weapon skill choice is actually a choice of weapon that you are going to use and it's based on special moves.

2.1. Special Moves

Each weapon type in the game has a primary and a secondary special move. The primary/secondary moves require 70/90 weapon skill and Tactics. Some moves as well require Bushido/Ninjitsu.
Performing two special moves within 3 seconds will double the mana cost of the second.
Special move mana cost can be decreased by having multiples of certain skills. With 200 to 299 combined skill points, the cost will decrease by 5 mana. Having 300 or more it will decrease by 10 mana. The included skills are weapon skills, bushido, parry, lumberjacking (and some others that rarely used in PvM).

There are just few special moves that usable in PvM: Double Strike (DS), Double Short (DS), Armor Ignore (AI), Whirlwind Attack (WW), Feint.

Double Strike and Double Short double your damage. They also double chances to trigger your weapons effects like Hit Fireball, Velocity, etc.
Armor Ignore increase you damage due to ignore target's resistances. Since most of mobs have lowest resistance under 50 DS in combination with Concentrate Weapon usually does more damage than AI. But in some mobs have 70-80 in their lowest resists. In this cases AI does twice more damage. AI does the same damage to all mobs so it's more universal move.

WW is an excellent move when you fight several mobs at the same time. It hits all mobs around you and also gives you a bonus up to 100 based on bushido skill and amount of enemies (it's required 120 bushido and 5 enemies to get max bonus). WW is especially effective in combination with Confidence because it allows you to unkeep HP and Stamina while crowded.

Feint reduce the damage a target does (up to 50% at 120 Bushido or Ninjitsu). It sounds good but there are few drawbacks. It's useless when you opposite to several mobs because it affects one mob only. In one per one situation using Feint means less damage and therefore less mana for special moves. So after applying feint you often don't have enough mana for DS/AI. But it can be very handy vs heavy damaging mobs when you have very high mana leach (100% HML reforged or wrath form) or use bandages as your main way of healing and/or don't use DS/AI for some reasons.

2.2. Weapon selection

Now all weapons with the same base damage have the same base speed so selecting weapon is really selecting special moves you are going to use.
Slower weapons do more damage and therefore leach more mana for special moves. In addition HML/HLL are scaled on weapon speed - you can imbue less HML/HLL on faster weapons. There is an unpleasant effect known as Positive feedback: if you do less damage you leach less mana, can't chain DS/AI and as result do even less damage.
It's usually better to don't have SSI on your weapon. In addition to occupying a slot than can be used for HLA or other useful mod it also decreases HLL/HML values.

DS/AI weapon must do enough damage so you are able to chain the special move. So minimal weapon speed for those weapons is 2.75s (if you have 120 tactics/anatomy and reforged 96 HML). Faster weapons is not good because they do low damage that usually is not enough to chain AI/DS. Optimal weapon speed is 3.00-3.25 if you have a good suit and 2.75-3.00 if you haven't. If you are going to get SSI on your weapon than optimal weapons speed is 3.50-3.75.

For WW weapons base damage is not so important. Therefore it's better to have faster WW weapon (to get max speed without potions and Divine Fury). It's low sense to use 1H WW weapon except the case when you haven't parry but use a shield for mods. So maximal weapon speed for those weapons is 3.50s. You can use slower weapon but it will be less effective.

Good Feint weapon should has DS/AI as another special move. There is little sense in good defense when you can't do offensive moves.

2H weapons do more damage than 1H weapon. This is more noticeable for faster weapons (and more important due to positive feedback effect described above). Also 2H weapon has 600 imbuing intensity and therefore allow to imbue more properties. And finally 2H weapons have slightly higher chance to block.

Tinkering weapons are can be reforged using Blacksmith Hammers.
Carpenter weapons are especially good because they can be enhanced to get additional mods.

Your main weapon must have AI or DS. If your main weapon has DS than you need also AI weapon for rare mobs with high lowest resist (like Unbound Energy Vortex and some bosses).
To clean up crowds fast you need WW weapon. If you have 120 chivalry and some FC/FCR you can use Holy Fire instead.

2.2.1. Whirlwind Attack

Humans/elves:
Radian Scimitar (S, 1H, 2.50s)
Double Axe (S, 2H, 3.25s)
Black Staff (M, 2H, 2.75s)
Kama (F, 2H, 2.00s)
War Hammer (M, 2H, 3.75s)
Large Battle Axe (S, 2H, 3.75s)

Gargoyles:
Gargish Talwar (S, 2H, 3.50s)
Gargish War Hammer (M, 2H, 3.75s)

2.2.2. Armor Ignore

Humans/elves:
Hatchet (S, 2H, 2.75s) - can not be reforged
Bladed Staff (S, 2H, 3.00s)
Broadsword (S, 1H, 3.25s)
Longsword (S, 1H, 3.50s)
War Axe (M, 1H, 3.00s)
Hammer Pick (M, 1H, 3.25s)
Leafblade (F, 1H, 2.75s)
Spear (F, 2H, 2.75s)
Composite Bow (A, 4.00s)

Gargoyles:
Disc Mace (M, 1H, 2.75s)
Soul Glaive (T, 4.00s)
Stone War Sword (S, 3.75s)

2.2.3. Double Strike

Humans/elves:
Daisho (S, 2H, 2.75s)
Pickaxe (S, 1H, 3.00s)
Scimitar (S, 1H, 3.00s)
Double Axe (S, 2H, 3.25s)
Two-Handed Axe (S, 2H, 3.50s)
Maul (M, 1H, 3.50s)
Repeating Crossbow (A, 2.75s)
Yumi (A, 3.25s) - you can't use Double Shot when walk by foot

Gargoyles:
Gargish Daisho (S, 2H, 2.75s)
Dual Short Axes (S, 2H, 3.00s)
Pickaxe (S, 1H, 3.00s)
Gargish Maul (M, 1H, 3.50s)

2.2.4. Feint

Humans/elves:
Daisho (S, 2H, 2.75s)
Leafblade (F, 1H, 2.75s)

Gargoyles:
Gargish Daisho (S, 2H, 2.75s)

2.3. Weapon skill

2.3.1. Swordsmanship

The best melee weapon skill for humans/elves in PvM is Swordsmanship.

A Double Axe is the only weapon in the game that good vs single mobs and vs crowds. You can use a Bladed Staff for mobs with high lowest resists and a Daisho when you need more defense (providing than mob has at least on low resist).
If you prefer 1H weapons for some reason then you can use Broadsword (3.25)/Longsword (3.50) for AI, Pickaxe/Scimitar (3.00) for DS and Radiant Scimitar (2.50s) for WW.

Broadsword + Scimitar + Radiant Scimitar make a good combo: with 5 SSI on the suit you get max swing speed with your DS weapon. When you need AI vs bosses you probably use potions anyway so you get max speed with AI weapon. And WW weapon is fast.
Double Axe with 30 SSI + Bladed Staff as well make a good combo for the same reason. You need switch between DS and WW weapons. You also get an opportunity to add Feint weapon to this combo.
You can use Double Axe without SSI if you get 35 SSI on your suit.

2.3.2. Macefighting

There is no reason for humans/elves to take Macefighting. Its main drawback compared to Swordsmanship/Fencing is absence 2H mace weapon with AI or DS. And there are no any advantages (like a weapon with two good special moves) to compensate it.

There are templates like mystic dexxer or 4/6 paladin for which 1H weapon is better. In this case you may prefer to be a Gargoyle because you can imbue more HML/HLL on gargish weapons. And the only gargish melee weapon with AI is a Disc Mace.

For example, compare weapons:
War Axe (3.00s): 12-16 dmg, 30 DI, 100 HLL, 75 HML, 22 HSL
Bladed Staff (3.00s): 14-17 dmg, 50 DI, 100 HLL, 75 HML, 50 HSL
Disc Mace (2.75): 11-15 dmg, 45 DI, 93 HLL, 93 HML, 30 HSL
Disc Mace (2.75): 11-15 dmg, 50 DI, 93 HLL, 75 HML, 36 HSL

Black Staff is the best WW weapon in the game but its potential will be wasted because your suit must be designed to use a War Axe or a Hammer Pick.

2.3.3. Fencing

The main drawback for Fencing is absence of slow AI/DS weapons. Both usable AI weapons - Leafblade and Spear - are 2.75s, and there is no usable DS weapon at all.
You can get 100 HLL and 82 HML on a Broadsword and leach 25 mana with 150 dph.
You can get 96 HLL and 68 HML on a Leafblade and leach 18 mana with 130 dph. It's not enough to chain AI.
You can get 68 HLL and 96 HML on a Leafblade and leach 25 mana with 130 dph. But in this case you leach two times less life.

So you cannot get good results with Fencing if you relay on HLL to keep yourself alive. But if we consider weapon without HLL (Vampiric/Wraith) the difference become less significant and it is partially offset by the fact that you need 15 less SSI on your suit.

A fencer usually can't kill monsters as fast as a swordsman does but there is a reason to sacrifice your raw damage output. It's named Leafblade. It's the best Feint weapon in the game. Daisho is not so good because when you need Feint to fight a monster it's usually have all resists high.
There is a potentially problem with feint - you can run out of mana. To keep feint on you need use it every 4th swing. Without AI your damage will be low so you leach little mana with those hits. The more you miss the more real the problem is. And it becomes essential when the monster you fight has 140-150 wrestling (for example, Fend). Fortunately the most of big bosses have 100-120 wrestling. To work around this problem you may use Wraith form.

Base damage isn't so important on WW weapons so Kama is good.

2.3.4. Archery/Throwing

The only PvM weapon for Throwing is a Soul Glaive. For Archery you can choose between AI and DS weapons but you definitely will need AI for mobs with high resists.
Since HML/HLL are halved on ranged weapon you can't chain AI (except in Wraith form). (Now you can - with 50 HML reforged and 300 skill points for cost reduction.)
Throwing is better when you need free hand. From the other side, bows have more imbuing weight and can be enhanced for additional mods.
You do more damage with a Yumi and probably will be able to chain DS vs monsters that have a low resist (especially if you use Discordance).

Last edited:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2.3.1. Swordsmanship

The best melee weapon skill for humans/elves in PvM is Swordsmanship.
I completely disagree with this statement. Having run all the skills, it is dependent on skills and play style. Simply put, my fencer outdoes my similar geared swordsman. In a situation where you have nothing to worry about and can just sit there and AFK bash a creature (UEV), sure, whatever is the highest DPS weapon will be the top.

A Double Axe is the only weapon in the game that good vs single mobs and vs crowds. You can use a Bladed Staff for mobs with high lowest resists and a Daisho when you need more defense (providing than mob has at least on low resist).
If you prefer 1H weapons for some reason then you can use Broadsword (3.25)/Longsword (3.50) for AI, Pickaxe/Scimitar (3.00) for DS and Radiant Scimitar (2.50s) for WW.

Broadsword + Scimitar + Radiant Scimitar make a good combo: with 5 SSI on the suit you get max swing speed with your DS weapon. When you need AI vs bosses you probably use potions anyway so you get max speed with AI weapon. And WW weapon is fast.
Double Axe with 30 SSI + Bladed Staff as well make a good combo for the same reason. You need switch between DS and WW weapons. You also get an opportunity to add Feint weapon to this combo.
You can use Double Axe without SSI if you get 35 SSI on your suit.
Double Axe is pretty good with 2 of the better specials for doing a spawn (AI/WW). The point of using a 1 handed weapon is for potions. Simply put, someone who uses potions will out do someone who doesn't. You can use potions with a 2 handed weapon, but it's not optimal.

2.3.2. Macefighting

There is no reason for humans/elves to take Macefighting. There are templates like mystic dexxer or 4/6 paladin for which 1H weapon is better. In this case you may prefer to be a Gargoyle because you can imbue more HML/HLL on gargish weapons. And the only gargish melee weapon with AI is a Disc Mace.
Again, disagree here- Blackstaff is one of, if not the top, WW weapon out there. And a War Axe is a very good AI weapon.

2.3.3. Fencing

If you want to be able to do solo any monster in the game you can choose Fencing to use a Leafblade. Since it has low damage you will need to use Wraith form for additional mana leach. And you obviously can't kill mobs as fast as a swordsman does.
I'd question if you even have run fencing with leafblades with this commentary. Wraith form for mana leach... huh? I rarely run out of mana using a leafblade (or Kama). And other than creatures that you can AFK kill, Leafblades can take down creatures just as fast, if not faster.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm with NuSair on the weapons -- it is all personal choice. I run a fair number of swordsman and and equal number (if not greater) of mace fighters. I love my war axes and black staffs. I admit the one weapon skill I have not had as much success with is fencing, but I strongly suspect that is simply because of my playstyle. If I committed myself to improving my fencers I am sure I would find them just as viable.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Double Axe is pretty good with 2 of the better specials for doing a spawn (AI/WW).
Have they changed this recently? Been thinking about switching fencing for swords and both of those specials on the same weapon was going to seal the deal for me... but I get Double Strike and WW on a double axe. :(

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Have they changed this recently? Been thinking about switching fencing for swords and both of those specials on the same weapon was going to seal the deal for me... but I get Double Strike and WW on a double axe. :(
Double axe has double strike and whirlwind. It does not have AI.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
A Double Axe has DS and WW. But DS is as good as AI or even better for all monsters except may be ten ones.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yeah, I meant Double Strike, which can be better than AI, especially on low resist mobs.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
When you compare your fencer with your swordsman don't forget about the last weapon patch changes.

Leafblade: 13-15 => 11-15
Spear: 13-15 => 13-16
Broadsword: 14-15 => 13-17
Bladed Staff: 14-16 => 14-17
2H weapon imbuing intensity 500 => 600

Leafblade being 1H had damage like 2H weapon had Imbuing intensity was 500 on both. There wasn't sense to use 2H weapon. A leafblade without SSI had the same swing speed like a broadsword with 30 SSI and it has almost the same damage. So fencing was as good for pvm as swordsmanship or even better.

Macefighting was as good for pvm as swordsmanship while 1H imbuing intensity was the same as 2H imbuing intensity. (Now you can't use full potential of a Bladed Staff so a Double Axe or Kama is better).

Last edited:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A leafblade without SSI had the same swing speed like a broadsword with 30 SSI and it has almost the same damage. So fencing was as good for pvm as swordsmanship or even better.
I'd argue that it still is.

Leafblade 11-15 2.75
Longsword 14-18 3.5
Broadsword 13-17 3.25

You make the first point yourself, SSI. With 180 stamina and 0 SSI, you can swing a Leafblade at max. With just 5 SSI and 150 it's max. Being at 150 stamina / 5 SSI is almost a given in most suits. That frees up slots.

With 180 Stamina, you need 20 SSI to reach 1.25 swing. 35 SSI with 150 stamina. (Here's what I am using to calculate: http://www.knuckleheads.dk/ssicalc.php )

Secondly, with a leafblade, you get 2 of the best (and arguably the 2 best) specials for PVM on one weapon, that you don't need to min/max your suit to max it out. And if you do min/max your suit, it's just that much better.

I really haven't noticed the range in damage change. I still solo Rikktor, don't have to run, standing toe to toe the entire time.

Evasion + Feint + AI.

Macefighting was as good for pvm as swordsmanship while 1H imbuing intensity was the same as 2H imbuing intensity. (No you can't use full potential of a Bladed Staff so a Double Axe or Kama is better).

Not sure what a bladed staff has to do with Macing, but in general, I agree with your latter statement. But, I would add this- I've found in playing all 3 weapon groups regularly (I have a sword, macer and fencing sampires)- that the WW weapons really don't mean that much. While the additional base damage is nice (if i had to chose a WW weapon, it would be Blackstaff)- most of the damage comes from Bushido and Hit Spells. Which is why like on the Rikktor spawn, I can stand at the alter in Ish, and take out all the Dragons that spawn (including paragon ones), with my Kama.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Not sure what a bladed staff has to do with Macing
It's a typo - I meant Black Staff.

I wanted to say in my previous post:
In theory a Black Staff with 60 DI is better than a Radiant Scimitar with 30 DI because it has 30 more DI. But those extra 30 DI is useless if you have 70 DI on your suit (to use your War Axe that has 30 DI). So in practice there is no large difference. (except you use a "4-mods" War Axe like 100 HML, 50 HSL, 50 DI, Super Slayer).

In general a Black Staff is better than a Kama because you can reforge 96 HLL on a Black Staff and only 70 HLL on a Kama. But if you use VE or CuW and don't use HLL then there's no much difference. I agree that base weapon damage is not important for WW weapon.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I'm going to replace 2.3.2. Macefighting item in the article and I want to know your view. ("you" means "any reader")

2.3.2. Macefighting

There is no reason for humans/elves to take Macefighting. Its main drawback compared to Swordsmanship/Fencing is absence 2H mace weapon with AI or DS. And there are no any advantages (like a weapon with two good special moves) to compensate it.

There are templates like mystic dexxer or 4/6 paladin for which 1H weapon is better. In this case you may prefer to be a Gargoyle because you can imbue more HML/HLL on gargish weapons. And the only gargish melee weapon with AI is a Disc Mace.

For example, compare weapons:
War Axe (3.00s): 12-16 dmg, 30 DI, 100 HLL, 75 HML, 22 HSL
Bladed Staff (3.00s): 14-17 dmg, 50 DI, 100 HLL, 75 HML, 50 HSL
Disc Mace (2.75): 11-15 dmg, 45 DI, 93 HLL, 93 HML, 30 HSL
Disc Mace (2.75): 11-15 dmg, 50 DI, 93 HLL, 75 HML, 36 HSL

Last edited:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a typo - I meant Black Staff.

I wanted to say in my previous post:
In theory a Black Staff with 60 DI is better than a Radiant Scimitar with 30 DI because it has 30 more DI. But those extra 30 DI is useless if you have 70 DI on your suit (to use your War Axe that has 30 DI). So in practice there is no large difference. (except you use a "4-mods" War Axe like 100 HML, 50 HSL, 50 DI, Super Slayer).

In general a Black Staff is better than a Kama because you can reforge 96 HLL on a Black Staff and only 70 HLL on a Kama. But if you use VE or CuW and don't use HLL then there's no much difference. I agree that base weapon damage is not important for WW weapon.

You forget that you can enhance a Blackstaff with Wood.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been busy with and recovering from Dragon Con, I'll be posting stuffs soon.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
You forget that you can enhance a Blackstaff with Wood.
I didn't. This is why I wrote "a Black Staff with 60 DI" - 10 DI from yew enhancing. But unfortunately there is no sense to enhance a black staff.

p.s. I will write about fencing later.

Last edited:

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
+10 SSI doesn't increase you swing speed. You usually need +15 to get to the next level.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
+10 SSI doesn't increase you swing speed. You usually need +15 to get to the next level.

Blackstaff: 13-16 damage 2.75 speed

In terms of property values, 10 SSI is worth more than 10 DI.

According to here: http://www.knuckleheads.dk/ssicalc.php

at 150 Stamina, 5 SSI will get you to 1.25 swing speed.

You need to get to 20 SSI for the next tic.

It's more effective to have the free (ie- you don't imbue it) 10 SSI on a weapon than free 10 DI.

10 SSI on weapon, 5 from cloak and 5 from ring get you 20.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Granted, if you just wanted the 150 stamina and use a 5 SSI cloak to get to max (as long as you could stay consistently above 150 and didn't need more SSI for your other weapons)- then there wouldn't be much reason to add the SSI on the weapon. Unless you were going 120 stamina. Which would free up a lot of stat points.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
10 SSI on weapon, 5 from cloak and 5 from ring get you 20.
But what to do when you switch your black staff to your AI weapon? I don't think it's a good idea to imbue 25 SSI on a War Axe.

From those about 650-700 intensity that you can potentially get on a Black Staff about 150 intensity will be wasted because your suit must be designed to use a War Axe or a Hammer Pick.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why not? What's wrong with imbuing a War Axe with 25 SSI?

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
2.3.3. Fencing

The main drawback for Fencing is absence of slow AI/DS weapons. Both usable AI weapons - Leafblade and Spear - are 2.75s, and there is no usable DS weapon at all.
You can get 100 HLL and 82 HML on a Broadsword and leach 25 mana with 150 dph.
You can get 96 HLL and 68 HML on a Leafblade and leach 18 mana with 130 dph. It's not enough to chain AI.
You can get 68 HLL and 96 HML on a Leafblade and leach 25 mana with 130 dph. But in this case you leach two times less life.

So you cannot get good results with Fencing if you relay on HLL to keep yourself alive. But if we consider weapon without HLL (Vampiric/Wraith) the difference become less significant and it is partially offset by the fact that you need 15 less SSI on your suit.

A fencer usually can't kill monsters as fast as a swordsman does but there is a reason to sacrifice your raw damage output. It's named Leafblade. It's the best Feint weapon in the game. Daisho is not so good because when you need Feint to fight a monster it's usually have all resists high.
There is a potentially problem with feint - you can run out of mana. To keep feint on you need use it every 4th swing. Without AI your damage will be low so you leach little mana with those hits. The more you miss the more real the problem is. And it becomes essential when the monster you fight has 140-150 wrestling (for example, Fend). Fortunately the most of big bosses have 100-120 wrestling. To work around this problem you may use Wraith form.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Why not? What's wrong with imbuing a War Axe with 25 SSI?
You can. But it's not a good decision (or your template must be very weird). You can get 30 more dex (to have 150 stamina and use a Broadsword for more damage and more HML, for example).

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Updated Macefighting and Fencing parts.
I don't know, but I still think you are under valuing the utility of fencing and macing. All 3 Melee skills are viable and can be successful. If we as a warrior community endorse only swordsmanship then I think a new player will think that is their only option. Not to mention we would unnecessarily drive up the price of 120 swords scrolls and down mace and fencing power scrolls. I am not sure that is the message we want to send.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
All 3 Melee skills are viable and can be successful.
Yes. But some of them can be more successful than others.

Current Atlantic Luna prices:
A Legendary Scroll Of Mace Fighting (120 Skill) 50,000
A Legendary Scroll Of Fencing (120 Skill) 750,000
A Legendary Scroll Of Swordsmanship (120 Skill) 6,500,000

As to me it's sad. They must do something with this. I am not able to understand the last weapon patch. They improved popular sword weapons and nerved less popular fencing/mace weapons. What a Terrible Failure!

Years ago mace fighting weapon had inherit ability to hurt stamina and was the best weapon against fat melee monsters and dexxers. Fencing weapon had inherit ability to paralyze and was the best weapon vs casting monsters and mages.

Last edited:

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
. While the additional base damage is nice (if i had to chose a WW weapon, it would be Blackstaff)- most of the damage comes from Bushido and Hit Spells. Which is why like on the Rikktor spawn, I can stand at the alter in Ish, and take out all the Dragons that spawn (including paragon ones), with my Kama.
I replaced Swordsmanship with Fencing on my Sampire (120 fencing/bushido/parry, 100 tactics/anatomy) and did Rikktor spawn. It took me 50 minutes.

I wasn't be able to WW 4th level. Dragons have range attack and surround me too slow so there usually are just 2-3 of them close to me. And therefore bushido bonus is low as well as base kama damage. With a Double Axe I would be able to choose between DS and WW. I tried to switch between Leafblade and Kama but realized that in the most cases it's faster to use Leafblade only.
By the way I can WW Greater Dragons in Destard using Large Battle Axe. I believe it's impossible with Kama?

Rikktor is more easy than Rend. Rikktor has more hit points but doesn't hit as hard as Rend and has much less wrestling.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry for my lack of replies, been really busy....

Why is it impossible? I've WW the 4th level of Rikktor in ish, with multiple paragons and lived through it. If I get time, I can test it in Destard I guess.

It takes me ~40 minutes to do a Rikktor spawn start to finish. And that is without bumping the spawn.

Not sure what the problem you had was.... I use the kama all the way up unless there is a single Paragon Dragon to fight (or just all the way up in Fel). I just did it yesterday.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Updated Feint description: pointed that damage reduction depends on your skill value.
Updated info about Tinkering weapon: now it can be reforged.
Updated Archery/Throwing info: now you can chain AI without Wraith form.

Last edited:

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
"The first thing any warrior must to do is to choose a weapon skill. Weapon skill choice is actually a choice of weapon that you are going to use and it's based on special moves."

"There are just few special moves that usable in PvM"

I find both of these really limiting. All weapons have more or less the same specials available to them, and there is UBWS, unless this is intended only for people who wouldn't need it anyway it seems to overlook players that are hunting and using what they loot. I think basing your weapon skill on what you like the look of or a theme for your character is going to be more fun than just going with x because it can do y. Otherwise we'd all have the exact same templates.

All special moves are useable in PvM, and finding out what they do and where they're useful will make you a better player.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few gargoyle weapons are missing:
Gargish Warhammer , whirlwind
Stone war sword, armor ignore
( both of them need 55 ssi with 180 stam, but doable these days )
Pickaxe ( yes, gargoyles can use them ) , doublestrike

About throwing:
Cyclone is very useful for leveling spawns using momentum strike as long as you dont have a 210 stam suit to use soulglaive exclusivly. Can also be used without ssi or di on weapon these days.
Also infused throw does add a 50% damage modifier and is actually useful.

Maybe its your intention, but you did leave out quite a few weapons in the 2-2.5 sec range that got useful specials. For example Double Bladed Staff/ Dual Pointed Spear are better then nothing for doublestrike if you are on a fencer. Same goes for katana and tessen. There are multiple reasons to use these weapons, new player, high mana/low stam pvp dexxer, gargoyle dexxer that doesnt have much choice in weapon types or playing without insurance.

I have yet to see someone using a halberd for whirlwind, but technically its possible these days.

There is no best whirlwind weapon really, for example when doing void pool you really want the highest base damage since not everything there has a slayer at all. Talwar or even Warhammer are very welcome then.

Last edited:

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Updated weapon info (added pickaxe and 3.75s weapons).

Yes, I included 'usable' weapons only - in 2.75s to 3.50s range.
Now we can use 3.75s weapon. Although I believe that 190 stamina is not enough to use them but now day you can have 200+ stamina even with M&S.
I don't want to include 2.00-2.50s weapons (except WW ones) because you can't leach enough mana with them. Even new player can get 180 stamina suit for 1m or less.

I had idea to use Composite Bow + Halberd combo on my Melee Archer but didn't collected enough resources for a good 220 stamina suit. So I use Double Axe/Yumi and Composite Bow.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
211 stam, 60SSI = swing a halberd at 1.25? Wow.

I guess they need to make some slower weapons, given how easy having 60SSI has somehow become...

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've used a hally (the minor artifact one) on spawns to do WW with. It worked pretty well.

Waxx

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
interesting, perfect i spend about 100 mil for armor pieces to know now it will not work pretty good with 60 bushido as uo guide just states u need bushido but not how much

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well you can just raise Bushido or use a different weapon, right?

Waxx

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
not really, the complete armor is calculated for excact this template and weapon

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
interesting, perfect i spend about 100 mil for armor pieces to know now it will not work pretty good with 60 bushido as uo guide just states u need bushido but not how much
When I posted this info in Feint-Sampire topic some people said that it is off top and useless info that I shouldn't post.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When I posted this info in Feint-Sampire topic some people said that it is off top and useless info that I shouldn't post.
When the template posted used 120 Bushido... It was off topic.

not really, the complete armor is calculated for excact this template and weapon
I'm unable to picture a suit that's that specific, lol.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You need 50 bushido or 50 ninjitsu to use feint (assuming you have 70 or 90 tactics/weapon skill for primary or secondary weapon special moves).

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
You need 50 bushido or 50 ninjitsu to use feint (assuming you have 70 or 90 tactics/weapon skill for primary or secondary weapon special moves).
I believe with 50 bushido you reduce damage by 50/240 = 21% (I'm not sure about exact formula)

Xel N'Jare

Adventurer
Yes. But some of them can be more successful than others.

Current Atlantic Luna prices:
A Legendary Scroll Of Mace Fighting (120 Skill) 50,000
A Legendary Scroll Of Fencing (120 Skill) 750,000
A Legendary Scroll Of Swordsmanship (120 Skill) 6,500,000

As to me it's sad. They must do something with this. I am not able to understand the last weapon patch. They improved popular sword weapons and nerved less popular fencing/mace weapons. What a Terrible Failure!

Years ago mace fighting weapon had inherit ability to hurt stamina and was the best weapon against fat melee monsters and dexxers. Fencing weapon had inherit ability to paralyze and was the best weapon vs casting monsters and mages.
Welp, haven't looked this week but if 120 legendary swordsmanship scrolls are going for 6.5m I'll be running a sub-par swords build for a *very* long time!