• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

WARNING DO NOT DL/INSTALL IE 8

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Microshaft has done it again! Launched a so-call final version that really should have been called Beta part 3.

I DL and install IE 8 this afternoon on one of our computers her at work. Well now you can not connect to the internet.

I spent an hr and a helf on the phone with a Mircoshaft so-called support guy who hung up on me. No, I wasn't mean, nasty or rude. He had me reset IE to default settings. He kept asing if it was done I said no not yet. He asked 3 times then hung up. So much for Microshaft NO support.

I'm doing what I should have done to begin with...delete the dang thing and reinstall Explorer 7.

I just wanted to give everyone the heads up to stay the heck away fro Explorer 8 and save ya'll from my mistake.

JJ

A

Aboo

I downloaded and installed IE8 on my computer at work last week and haven't had any problems so far. *knocks on wood*

But thanks for the heads up!

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is why I wait at least 2-3 months before trying any new MS programs.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry to hear of your issues with IE8, but those are most likely exceptions rather than the norm. I highly recommend IE8 to anyone currently using IE6 or IE7.

I updated all three home machines and 2 work test machines and I haven't had any problems on any of them. Two of those machines have been on IE 8 since an early beta. IE 8 is a definite step up from IE6 or IE7.

S

Stupid Miner

That's why I use firefox.
Well I would be using Opera, but it's a tad too obscure for certain websites to be compatible with... so that's why I use firefox.
(Was long gone before IE got tabs, never going back)

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I should start using firefox too :)

Check out reviews for IE 8 on cnet's download.com apparently I'm not the only one having issues with IE 8. :eek:

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Firefox here too.

"The day microsoft make something that doesn't suck, it'll be a hoover."

O

Old Man of UO

Yep... I love Firefox and use it for every site but Microsofts... which seems to disable Firefox.

However, my favorite email client Thuderbird started dropping over half of my incoming mail. It just never got delivered. I just switched back to Windows Mail (yech) and now getting all of it. I have NO clue what is wrong and neither does my ISP... they show their server sending the mail, and it just never arrives to Thunderbird.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I (for the most part) use yahoo mail. I have a few things set for my ISP's address that I use with Outlook Express. Never have any problems with it, but then again I pretty much only use it once a week for less than an hour, and all that time I'm just reading downloaded messages.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No reason to use IE. There are much better options out there.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, Firefox is a lot less tempremental. Though if your windoze has done a hissy fit altogether, maybe you want to come to the dark side and try linux :D

Wenchy

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, Firefox is a lot less tempremental. Though if your windoze has done a hissy fit altogether, maybe you want to come to the dark side and try linux :D

Wenchy
LOL! Wenchy, you sound like my RL buddy Marky who's a IT security guy for EDS all his home system run on Linux minus the Craptop er laptop lol. He's forever singing the praises of Linux and the "darkside". Since you brought the StarWars refence ther is it me or does the Microshaft tech no support people sound a lot like Yoda...."Help you I can, Yesss! LOL

B

Beer_Cayse

Firefox ... IE only if absolutely, 100%, no other option - and then a tried/true version which in this case is IE6 or 7.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL! Wenchy, you sound like my RL buddy Marky who's a IT security guy for EDS all his home system run on Linux minus the Craptop er laptop lol. He's forever singing the praises of Linux and the "darkside". Since you brought the StarWars refence ther is it me or does the Microshaft tech no support people sound a lot like Yoda...."Help you I can, Yesss! LOL
LOL. I guess poor old Yoda has been feeling the pinch during the credit crunch and got himself a job at MS. Poor git ;)

Wenchy

T

Teeshy

I *much* prefer Opera to firefox, and both those to IE. I only use ie if I can't any other way, read a website in opera or firefox =P

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Tried Opera once LONG ago and didn't like it (also it had trouble connecting to websites subsequently AFTER connecting to them a first time). It did not last long on my machine.

T

Teeshy

Hrmm, I've never had a problem using Opera. I do find this last couple of builds to be more of a memory hog, and I totally dislike the change they've made to the way the cache is stored. But I find it a much lighter, faster, more easily customisable browser for me =)

I should add, for me and the way I browse internet i.e. with flash turned off, images set to cached images only (so I manually load any image I want to see), cookies accepted only on sites I choose etc etc

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FireFox And only firefox. Its safer, Faster, tabs, not microsoft.

S

sikooovision

Yup

FireFox FTW ....

I d/l and gave IE8 a try, It was decent I guess, but seemed slower for me than IE7 was? IDK ...

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Been using Opera since '00. Have IE6 installed, none of that slow fangled stuff for IE.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
did u enable ie 8 to your firewall, and i run opera

GOOD ONE!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Well um yeah the firewall was part of it but apparently IE 8 doesn't like McAfee, spybot S&D, Adaware, and most all of my anti-spyware/malware arsonal. I had to disable McAfee completely, uninstall adaware and Spybot S&D then reinstall IE 8 with the help of a Microsoft tech who called me back my boss conferenced me at home. He'd sent the puter to my sis to straighten out (Its good to have a techno-geek in the family!). Anyway 15 mins and Volia la! it works go figure. *shakes head* I'm just happy it works!

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
most things like this are simple things

gald u could get back to uo addiction

Well um yeah the firewall was part of it but apparently IE 8 doesn't like McAfee, spybot S&D, Adaware, and most all of my anti-spyware/malware arsonal. I had to disable McAfee completely, uninstall adaware and Spybot S&D then reinstall IE 8 with the help of a Microsoft tech who called me back my boss conferenced me at home. He'd sent the puter to my sis to straighten out (Its good to have a techno-geek in the family!). Anyway 15 mins and Volia la! it works go figure. *shakes head* I'm just happy it works!

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Had only problems with a very few sites, which I could resolve by enabling the so called compatiblity view for those.
*Salute*
Olahorand

G

gjohnson5

I dunno
IE8 works just fine for me
Windows Update works fine as well

But then again I installed the pre release IE8 release candidate

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IE8 installed and runs fine for me. Also rolled it out in several client environments right after release... no issues.

Jirel glad you got it working. With a new release to millions of users, there will always be some installs that don't work properly. Just need a little tweaking (shoe horns and rubber mallots work well). ;)

I have Chrome, Firefox, Flock, Internet Explorer, Opera, and Safari installed at home on my dev PC. Firefox is still my browser of choice, but then I develop and publish... and nothing is better at that than Firefox because of the extensions and tools for it. FF is my daily browser of choice.

For those that don't know about Flock, it is built using the same engine and technologies as Firefox (it even uses Firefox extensions), but is geared towards social networkers... people who live, breath & die for Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, YouTube, etc. Flock is great for casual users, especially ones into social networking. Flock is the best of the FF derivatives.

Opera is nice. There are features about O that come by default that other browsers need add-ons to do. O is clean and well thought out, but sometimes chokes if sites are not W3C compliant and doesn't always switch well between compatibility modes very well.

IE8 is good, and a must-have upgrade for anyone still using an older version of IE. IE8 brings IE up with everyone else now... it is quick, better add-on/customization support (ie: slices, etc.), and is a lot more secure than older IE versions. If you use IE, get it.

Chrome and Safari... both lots of potential. The new betas look great. Neither are secure, although Chrome is better on security than Safari... and has the potential to be the security leader when some bugs get worked out. I only use C & S just to test with, I wouldn't use either yet for daily use, but the future for both looks good later.

Just in my opinion, I rank them this way...
6. Safari
5. Chrome
4. Internet Explorer
3. Opera
2. Flock
1. Firefox
Your mileage may vary, batteries not included, and please... no wagering. :p

For those running Firefox or Flock, some key add-on extensions to have...

• Adblock Plus - Will block ads, but allows whitelisting so you can still support your favorite sites.
  • BBCodeXtra - A must have for "forum warriors" posting & editing needs.
  • ColorfulTabs - Colors each tab differently, makes it easier to distinguish between multiple tabs.
  • Cooliris - Visual media selector... awesome for Flickr, YouTube, etc.
  • Download Statusbar - Watch your downloads progress from the status bar at the bottom of your browser.
  • DownThemAll - Download manager, perfect for large downloads like game clients.
  • Fasterfox - Performance and network tweaks.
  • Flashblock - Blocks Flash objects from auto running, but with an option to view.
  • IE Tab - Allows you to run IE from within FF. Great for sites that are IE only.
  • McAfee SiteAdvisor - Tests web sites for spyware, spam, viruses and phishing.
  • PDF Download - Gives you options how to save or view Adobe PDF files.
More advanced...

• All-in-One Sidebar - Opera-like, configurable sidebar.
  • Rip (Remove it Permanently) - Permanently hide page elements (different than ad or flash blocking).
  • Tab Mix Plus - Configurable tab behavior... such as duplicating tabs, controlling tab focus, tab clicking options, undo closed tabs and windows, plus much more.
Oh and one bit of gratuitous promotion... GameXbars work with numbers 4, 2, and 1. :D

K

Kratos Aurion

Of course you wouldnt happen to be an Apple fan with that list now would ya? :D

Back to topic..

To the OP. A lot of network administrators don't like IE 8 because of its hidden priviliges. A lot of firewalls and servers block the use of IE 8. I've dealt with a lot of employees where I intern who complain to our help desk about the issue and I'm not sure if this is your problem, but possibly might be.

I personally don't care for IE 8 but to each his own.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course you wouldnt happen to be an Apple fan with that list now would ya? :D
Apple fan? Yes. Mac fan? Yes. Safari For Macintosh? Yes. Safari For Windows? No.

I'd love to have a Mac, nice systems... but even if I did, I would be using Firefox for Mac. There a few Firefox extensions that do not work on the Mac, but the majority of them do... that vast library of extensions allows the user to really build the browser they want and need.

I agree though, to each their own. :)

T

The Home Guild

I use IE 8 at work and home and had no issues.
Seems to work flawless.

C

Chrissay_

I thought the rule with Microsoft was to use the product before the new one. I use Chrome and Firefox (depending if i need noscript or not).

Chrissay

V

Vyal

IE freezes and crashes on this site ALOT, loading up 2 page threads.
Not to mention there is no security and just about every virus,spyware,adware all comes off of IE.

Use Opera there is nothing better ;) mmmm Pandora Widget.

C

Connor_Graham

I've used IE the entire time I've used computers and have NEVER had the problems that everyone seems to want to attribute to it. My comp doesn't crash, I don't get invaded by adware and spyware, and whatever other urban legends people want to blame IE for. I currently use IE 6 and plan to continue to do so, mainly because I can't stand the tabbed pages. I've tried Firefox and hated it. I don't think it lasted longer than opening 1 website after dl'ing it before it was deleted and I went back to IE.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've used IE the entire time I've used computers and have NEVER had the problems that everyone seems to want to attribute to it. My comp doesn't crash, I don't get invaded by adware and spyware, and whatever other urban legends people want to blame IE for. I currently use IE 6 and plan to continue to do so, mainly because I can't stand the tabbed pages. I've tried Firefox and hated it. I don't think it lasted longer than opening 1 website after dl'ing it before it was deleted and I went back to IE.
I primarily use IE, but I also have Firefox installed just to keep up on it's abilities. I find IE to be much easier and responsive, so I don't know what everyone else is talking about. I believe it's the old "Amiga" Syndrome.

As everyone knows, Amiga came out with a very nice computer system in the late 80's/early 90's. Even though it had a few superior technologies, it never caught on, but the few zeolots who bought into it, constantly "reminded" all of us PC nuts that their machine was better. They never mentioned the shortcomings of the Amiga; they just extolled the few superior features (which I can't even remember now). It never had more than 5% of the market and it eventually died out.

Firefox has more then 5% of the market (not really a market since all browsers are free) and it has a few really nice features that are better than IE, but I can't really say it is overall superior to IE or Opera.

I would never recommend IE over Firefox and vice versa, but since IE is integrated into XP and Vista, anyone using either Microsoft operating system uses parts of IE every day.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First, I wonder what this has to do with UO.

Second, I wonder VERY MUCH why anybody would use IE???? I mean, there are really GOOD browsers out there (Firefox, Opera). Why would anybody use the crap from Microsoft?

G

gjohnson5

Second, I wonder VERY MUCH why anybody would use IE???? I mean, there are really GOOD browsers out there (Firefox, Opera). Why would anybody use the crap from Microsoft?
Because many site have IE specific extensions such as VB, ActiveX, Silverlight, and .Net. Firefox does not render some of these properly.

C

Connor_Graham

Why would anybody use the crap from Microsoft?
I could ask the same question about Firefox and other browsers. Personally, I feel that Firefox is the crap, but then perception is reality, and perception is something that can only be determined by the one doing the perceiving.

H

Hanna

I spent an hr and a helf on the phone with a Mircoshaft so-called support guy who hung up on me. No, I wasn't mean, nasty or rude. He had me reset IE to default settings. He kept asing if it was done I said no not yet. He asked 3 times then hung up. So much for Microshaft NO support...

JJ
It took your over an hour and a half just to reset the default settings? His supervisor probably made him hang up.

H

Hanna

IE isn't bad, especially for end users. Now designers have more of an issue with it. IEs box model has been the bane of desgners for years. However when I layout a site I have just as many issues with firefoxes quirkiness as with IEs.

Now with IE 7 microsoft has corrected the box model, with IE 8 they have standarized even more.

As far as security, Firefox has just as many security issues as IE if not more, as Microsoft has alot more experience battling the hacks. Anytime a browser starts getting popular, the hacks will start targeting it for bugs.

Opera used to be very buggy, now It's fairly good. For designer it's a pain because they swap between mozzila engine and IEs depending on the operating system the user is running on. And because so few users actually use Opera it's often ignored by designers. However Opera is one of the fastest browser, if not the fastest out there. Firefox is by my experience the slowest.