• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

War Cleaver is a Joke

• Thread starter imported_Splup
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Splup

Really, just noticed how crappy War Cleaver is.

War Cleaver:

2 handed weapon
Base damage 9-11
Weapon speed 2,25
Specials: Disarm and Bladeweave

Is this some kind of joke? Compare it to Kryss

Kryss:
1 handed weapon
Base damage 10-12
Weapon speed 2
Specials: Armor Ingore and Infection

So War cleaver is 2 handed, it has lower base damage then kryss, and it's slower then kryss... And did I mention already that it's 2 HANDED.

And how about Katana:
1 handed weapon
Base damage 11-13
Weapon speed 2,5
Specials: dbl strike and armor ingore.

War cleaver really is very underpowered wep. It's base damage should be atleast 14-16 so there would be any reason to take 2 handed war cleaver instead of some 1 handed wep. Or then it should be changed to 1 handed wep...

Opinions?

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

Honestly?

Not every weapon in the game has to be useful.

It's ok for things to be just part of the scenery.

I think the only war cleaver anyone typically notices is the Bucher's War Cleaver, and fighting with that is pretty rare unless you're a fencer in the Labyrinth Champ Spawn, and you happen to have one of those runic-enhanced ones.

-Galen's player

G

I have a really nice one with 5 mods on it, one of them being 25ssi. The only thing I ever use it for is disarming at Citadel. Very useful. Base damage is too low to use for anything else.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep. If it was one-handed, I'd consider it. As it is, I only use the Butcher's War Cleaver; not as a weapon, but to skin the hides of dragons and such.

I

imported_Splup

<blockquote><hr>

Honestly?

-Galen's player

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, not every weapon has to be useful, but

Butchers knife:
One handed
Base dmg 9-11
Weapon speed 2.25

Butchers knife has exactly same dmg and speed, but it's one handed. Butchers knife is just a tiny knife, War Cleaver is long and thick sword + 2 handed and it makes same amount of damage as Butchers knife?

I

imported_Prince Erik

Well.. just a few thoughts.

Since it's two handed wouldn't that be a better weapon for say... a Sammy? Do you parry more with a two handed weapon? I'd also say in some pvp situations disarm could be pretty handy.

-P.E.

I

imported_Sarphus

<blockquote><hr>

Honestly?

I think the only war cleaver anyone typically notices is the Bucher's War Cleaver, and fighting with that is pretty rare unless you're a fencer in the Labyrinth Champ Spawn, and you happen to have one of those runic-enhanced ones.

-Galen's player

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it's ok for stuff to be part of the scenery, but if it's a weapon called a "war cleaver", it should be a viable weapon. It has war in its name!

If it was called "ceremonial sabre" or "Bought on HSN" or something like that, it would make more sense for it to not be a viable combat blade.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

If it was called "ceremonial sabre" or "Bought on HSN" or something like that, it would make more sense for it to not be a viable combat blade.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's too funny.

Here's a guy demonstrating the War Cleaver on QVC: Clicky Link

F

Fayled Dhreams

Fair enough ... but ...hold on a second ...
Is there really a direct correlation
Between the name of a thing ..
and the skill of the weilder ?

Just saying ... I've seen some Legendary Swordsmen
That have trouble cutting the crust off a sandwich ...
no matter the name/cost of the blade ...

The better "technicians"
Blame themselves
NOT their tools
Their decision to pick which tool for which job ...
From that which is at hand
Is how they "get the job done" ...
Rather than wishing/waiting for the best of the best ...

just saying ...
QVC guy there should have known ... he wasn't gonna pwnzer that formica top table ...
(no where did he CALL ....THAT bladed weapon: war and or cleaver ... not even blade of formica vanguishing ... that WAS/IS a display piece ...
ie... LOOKS like the real thing ... NOT the real thing ... a difference the op needs to study up on)

Burma Shave

D

DrMcguilicudy

If I remember right, it was supposed to be 1 handed, but they screwed up and never fixed it.

I

imported_Sarphus

it has the base damage, art and swing speed of a 1h weapon.

G

To be honest not many of the weapons make a lot of sense as many properties have been set for various reasons over the last 10 years and most of those reasons don't exist any more.

We just have to think ourselves lucky any weapon is useful because its not by design.

Similarly with armor. Plate is generally worse than leather but it still has higher STR requirements, can't med/stealth etc.

I

imported_Splup

Holy Crap! Some gamemaster has to be playing games with me or something. Now, few days after I started this thread, I looted this War cleaver from Lady Melissande:

War Cleaver:

Hit Fireball 44 %
Hit Lower Defence 50 %
Hit Chance Increase 14 %
Swing speed increase 25 %
Damage Increase 46%

This weapon has The Perfect mods, and it's still useless... What a waste of mods

G

weapons across the board need balance. it isnt just the war cleaver.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Weapon system and armor system are completely messed up. Over half the things in each are pretty much useless because of all sorts of random rules stacked up primarily due to knee-jerk "PvP balancing" over many patches, often without doing a good job at referring to why things were done a certain way in the past.

For instance, the importance of med armor has made non-med armor relatively useless.

The immediate casualties of all of this has been loss of variety and common sense in the system.

I

imported_Skrag

<blockquote><hr>

Weapon system and armor system are completely messed up. Over half the things in each are pretty much useless because of all sorts of random rules stacked up primarily due to knee-jerk "PvP balancing" over many patches, often without doing a good job at referring to why things were done a certain way in the past.

For instance, the importance of med armor has made non-med armor relatively useless.

The immediate casualties of all of this has been loss of variety and common sense in the system.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT