• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Want to make a seige thief. Can I get some pointers?

InfinitePudding

Adventurer
So I made a character on seige, the Ninja template. I wanted to be a Ninja and a thief, but then I realized I couldn't fit a all of the skills I needed to be both in one template. So I think I'll drop Ninjitsu unless someone can help me come up with a way to keep it and still be a good thief.

I need some template suggestions. Right now what I have in mind is Fencing, Anat, Healing, Hiding, Stealth, Snooping and Stealing. Leaves precious little room for powerscrolls I know.

I am open to suggestions though, expecially ones what would let me be a thief and a ninja. :) I really like the Ninjitsu skill. I'm also an elf, forgot to mention that.

Also, I've been snooping in NPC packs. Do NPCs not have anything to steal? I didn't see anyting in any of thier packs.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Your initial template sounds great!

Except there is absolutely zero value in it, unfortunately.

Thieving is just one of those skills that got shat on and now has very little practical use, unless you want to steal dungeon arties but that kinda sucks tbh.

I tried this once and quickly realized there just wasnt that much to do with a thief template anymore...

But hey - go for it. Always best to avoid having someone just hand you a template. Give it a whirl and experiment. Just wanted to give you my two cents.

I just personally feel that among many other things in UO, the thieving skill has been grossly neglected and you may find yourself quickly getting bored of wandering around with nothing but useless crap to "steal".

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
he did say he wanted to play a thief on Siege Perilous, although he mispelled it "seige". On Siege thieves actually work like they are supposed to.

Stealing from NPCs won't work, try monsters instead.

regarding the template: Fencing without tactics is pretty useless (no special moves), go with wrestling instead so you can use disarm and stun (disarm and steal last target works nicely against players).

120 wrestling, stealing, ninjitsu, 100 snooping, hiding, 75 stealth. Leaves you 85 points to spend on whatever you like (magery for gating? remember: no recall on Siege). If you find a burglar's bandana or some other thief-related artifact to Siege bless you could have even more skillpoints to play around with.

120 ninjitsu along with hiding and stealth is more than enough to survive. If in danger - smoke bomb, stealth away and go into cat form for hp regeneration. Mirror images make it harder to hit you, as does tiger form if you want to use the mastery. 75 stealth is all you need to stealth in medable armor.

You should realize though, that thieves are rather hated on Siege, so don't be surprised when people attack you on sight, dryloot, reskill etc. etc. after they find out you're a thief.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
120 wrestling is great if you can manage. Consider parry skill (at least 110). You can go without parry, of course, if you want to be that sissy type of thief that won't steal from a group of people that knows you're there. But, what fun is that? Just remember to drop that shield before hitting your steal hotkey and rearm ASAP.

Stealing against players....100 skill is plenty. Less if you're only going after scrolls. 110 is nice, though. 120 isn't necessary unless you want dungeon arties or if you want to just steal a few extra bandies out of a player's stack. GM hiding and snoop is necessary. Ninjitsu is very useful to you at 110.... but you can go with less if you are only using ninjitsu for tiger form. I wouldn't bother going to 120 with it.

Now.... stealth. Here is the kicker. You can get away with 75-85 stealth but the higher the better. You can take more damage and run more steps without being revealed. It also helps (albeit, not much) in avoiding trackers.

There are a bunch of ways to make a nice thief template. Make it your own! Just try to remember that you aren't there to kill people or act in combat capacity. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't.... :D

You should realize though, that thieves are rather hated on Siege....
Awww :(

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
listen to Nonel...he's one of the peskiest thieves on Siege and very hard to kill.

Jhaelyrr

Visitor
Old returning player - my thief on Siege was maxed out with the following - whether it still works well or not, I don't know :D I just logged in for the first time last night in years upon years...it's not very defensive - any attacking needs to be a surprise and interruptions against a dexer are a for sure.

Teleport, invis, stealth away on an ethereal llama was key :)

Note: I have a blessed Burglar's Bandana for +10 Snooping, +10 Stealing, +10 Stealth

100 Hiding
90 Snooping (+10 Bandana)
100 Stealing (+10 Bandana)
70 Stealth (+10 Bandana) - get minimum 80 for no failures on entering stealth from hiding.
90 Evaluating Intelligence
110 Magery
100 Meditation
60 Resisting Spells (Not much, but it helps a little)

Caor Reod

Visitor
Choosing snooping and stealing qualifies you to be a thief in game mechanics wise.

To be a thief without game provided mechanics you can go around with or without any skills and loot and pickup stuff, also dazzle people to swindle some coin.

Anything else is up to you.

More traditional thief probably would be:
snoop
steal
lockpick
detect hidden
hiding
stealth (or tracking)
remove traps

However, remember that the stealing skill reveals you these days (which is a bit meh), were you successful or not with your stealing attempt.

Last edited: