• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

VS on ATL

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
is there any way to get Vendor Search to work on ATL?

it use to be if you sat there and sent the search 10 times or so it would finally work but last couple days i haven't gotten any to work at all last couple days.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

it use to be if you sat there and sent the search 10 times or so it would finally work but last couple days i haven't gotten any to work at all last couple days.
You create an account on the dark age of camelot forums and pancake there. Since our dev's are off playing on their new server.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The main issue most of the time is the keyword search. If you can somehow search for something with just the drop downs, it usually works really well. If you need to use a keyword, use a single word. You can even try setting a specific price range.

Overall, the thing is busted as hell and I hope it actually works 100% of the time someday.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Didn't they plan for some video conference thing in february? I bet there will be questions about VS again. Just for them to 100% ignore them and listen to the one guy saying it's fine for him :)

I haven't used VS in a couple of weeks, but everytime I did in the past like 18 months it flat out didn't work @Poo

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The main issue most of the time is the keyword search. If you can somehow search for something with just the drop downs, it usually works really well. If you need to use a keyword, use a single word. You can even try setting a specific price range.

Overall, the thing is busted as hell and I hope it actually works 100% of the time someday.
@Poo - This ^^^

For example if you are looking for a conjurer garb with luck, don't even type anything because even "garb" might come back invalid. Instead use the menus to pick Robe slot + 140 luck --> search. It usually comes back within seconds.

The issue almost definitely seems like their keyword search is broken as I've had almost no issues when using the menus to pick properties (of course that won't always work depending on what you are searching for).

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Perhaps you all should be smarter about this...

Consider this... Find 2 or 3 other shards to start your selling warehouses on...

If you split up and say sell certain things on certain servers then it would solve so many issues...

Stowing and shoving everything from 20+ shards onto one server is quite frankly silly...

Ever heard of not putting all your eggs in one basket?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As long as players find excuses how other players are doing it "wrong", nothing will change. It's really not that hard to use some proper search engine. Only they seem very butthurt over something to the point where they straight refuse to do anything at all.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Consider this... Find 2 or 3 other shards to start your selling warehouses on...

If you split up and say sell certain things on certain servers then it would solve so many issues...
What is "smarter" about a player taking their goods to a dead shard that will seldom have traffic to allow them to charge "ATL prices"?

Stowing and shoving everything from 20+ shards onto one server is quite frankly silly...

I guess the idea of a shopping mall is lost upon you... but do you think it's more smart or less smart for a store to be in a shopping mall or down some back alley 3 states over from the mall where there is barely any foot traffic?

For that matter... I'm guessing rather than going to the grocery store to pickup bread, milk, & eggs you think it makes more sense to drive to a bakery on the other side of town, then to a dairy farm uptown, and then circle back south to the chicken coop farm to grab eggs before you make your breakfast in the morning... Yea you are right, one stop shopping is so silly o.0

Dimax

Adventurer
Professional
Supporter

Having the same issue, for quite a few days now.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Marketing, and sales in general are obviously not your strongpoints :rolleyes:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i actually logged in 5 accts one day and had them all searching for the same thing...did finally get an answer tto :)

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I haven't been able to find anything for several days.
but today the search is quick.
and it finds everything I am searching for.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What is "smarter" about a player taking their goods to a dead shard that will seldom have traffic to allow them to charge "ATL prices"?

I guess the idea of a shopping mall is lost upon you... but do you think it's more smart or less smart for a store to be in a shopping mall or down some back alley 3 states over from the mall where there is barely any foot traffic?

For that matter... I'm guessing rather than going to the grocery store to pickup bread, milk, & eggs you think it makes more sense to drive to a bakery on the other side of town, then to a dairy farm uptown, and then circle back south to the chicken coop farm to grab eggs before you make your breakfast in the morning... Yea you are right, one stop shopping is so silly o.0

Take a look at RL ... Malls are dead... or dying. That's so 80's...

I go to the local gas station to get milk and eggs and banana's because it's way cheaper.

But no hey, continue to stuff 20+ shards worth of material into one shard ...

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Take a look at RL ... Malls are dead... or dying. That's so 80's...

I go to the local gas station to get milk and eggs and banana's because it's way cheaper.

But no hey, continue to stuff 20+ shards worth of material into one shard ...
Malls are only dying because of this little thing called the internet, not because people don't like all of their items from one source.

See record sales for Amazon. Walmart. Etc.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Malls are only dying because of this little thing called the internet, not because people don't like all of their items from one source.

See record sales for Amazon. Walmart. Etc.
We still have 4 Malls left. Malls were losing business to giant strip centers. Especially ones that have many outlets for big brands. They started closing here in 2005. They have been losing business for a long time. Rackspace took over one of our closed Malls. I live across the highway from one. It is packed every day with idiots.

A lot of people go to malls and outlet centers just to get out with the family to shop and spend the time.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yesterday I could not do searches with rubble as the term until after 1 am. Today I found a few scrolls.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gas station foodstuffs are cheaper where u live? Generally, scale comes into play for low prices......how big is that gas station?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Gas station foodstuffs are cheaper where u live? Generally, scale comes into play for low prices......how big is that gas station?
Not that it's really big but they have them everywhere around here... so I guess they get stuff in bulk...

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There was a national bank once where one of the employees put together an MS Access database to keep track of their department's inventory. This app proved to be very useful and before you know it, the whole national bank was using it, or I should say trying to. By that time it underwent multiple functionality expansions and barely worked. The programming shop I was working for at the time was asked to fix it. No amount of explanation than neither Access nor it's Jet engine are capable of handling enterprise demands helped. They did not want to spend the money and time required to move to something like SQL. Our shop did not take the job. The Access DB existed (if you could call it that) until the banks demise during the financial crisis.

Why am I saying this? That DB worked about as well as the VS. And just like BS devs, the bank's IT thought that some extra maintenance and tweaks will fix the unfixable.

Vendor search is an extremely vital part of the game. It is much more important than whatever publish they think of inflicting on the game next. Maybe they should postpone whatever is on their pancake list that no one cares about, and instead ripped out the mess that VS currently is, and built something that works instead? Just a thought.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There was a national bank once where one of the employees put together an MS Access database to keep track of their department's inventory. This app proved to be very useful and before you know it, the whole national bank was using it, or I should say trying to. By that time it underwent multiple functionality expansions and barely worked. The programming shop I was working for at the time was asked to fix it. No amount of explanation than neither Access nor it's Jet engine are capable of handling enterprise demands helped. They did not want to spend the money and time required to move to something like SQL. Our shop did not take the job. The Access DB existed (if you could call it that) until the banks demise during the financial crisis.

Why am I saying this? That DB worked about as well as the VS. And just like BS devs, the bank's IT thought that some extra maintenance and tweaks will fix the unfixable.

Vendor search is an extremely vital part of the game. It is much more important than whatever publish they think of inflicting of the game next. Maybe they should postpone whatever is on their pancake list that no one cares about, and instead ripped out the mess that VS currently is, and built something that works instead? Just a thought.
Well said. I remember when they first introduced VS. It straight didn't work on Atlantic on day 1 and there was some emergency rework needed to make it work at all. It was always broken by design on their single most popular shard. But they never seemed to care as long as it was working on the small shards where Mesanna's friends play. I'm pretty sure they run some homebrew search engine as you describe.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well said. I remember when they first introduced VS. It straight didn't work on Atlantic on day 1 and there was some emergency rework needed to make it work at all. It was always broken by design on their single most popular shard. But they never seemed to care as long as it was working on the small shards where Mesanna's friends play. I'm pretty sure they run some homebrew search engine as you describe.
I am guessing it's incompetence and the desire to hide this incompetence more than anything. You see the pattern over and over again. Having some experience with the corporate world, I am guessing it goes something like this:
1) BS Overlords tell Mesanna what her budget allocation is as far as programmers, artists, etc ( I know I am being generous using plurals there ).
2) Mesanna drafts up an impressive plan/scope of work for the next 1-2 years. Proudly shows how much her team is going to accomplish to the BS overlords.
3) The team works hard for the next half a year preparing the new publish.
4) Publish is released. For whatever combination of reasons - mismanagement, lack of talent, competence, or mental fortitude, the publish is a dud. Half the player base hate it. Twenty percent love it. The rest are not aware of the changes.
5) The problems with the publish are not mere bugs. They are nearsighted design decisions that require a complete rewrite of a significant portion of the code. That would take about 4 months on top of the six that already passed.
6) Now, remember that ambitious scope of work that Mesanna proudly presented to the BS overlords? Do you think she is going to go back to them and tell them - "The plan is not working out because the publish is a failure. And the publish is a failure because of my bad ideas or someone else's bad ideas that I approved. And all that money you gave us was largely spent to piss off half of the player base. We can fix all this if you just give me a bunch more money. Because NOW, now, I really know how to do this right."
7) Of course that would never happen. Instead, they allocate some minuscule amount of hours to fix the worst bugs, and immediately move to whatever is next on their "list." Player concerns are dismissed. At the end of the year, BS overlords are shown an impressive list of accomplishments. Arses are covered. Bonuses are given out.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am guessing it's incompetence and the desire to hide this incompetence more than anything. You see the pattern over and over again. Having some experience with the corporate world, I am guessing it goes something like this:
1) BS Overlords tell Mesanna what her budget allocation is as far as programmers, artists, etc ( I know I am being generous using plurals there ).
2) Mesanna drafts up an impressive plan/scope of work for the next 1-2 years. Proudly shows how much her team is going to accomplish to the BS overlords.
4) Publish is released. For whatever combination of reasons - mismanagement, lack of talent, competence, or mental fortitude, the publish is a dud. Half the player base hate it. Twenty percent love it. The rest are not aware of the changes.
5) The problems with the publish are not mere bugs. They are nearsighted design decisions that require a complete rewrite of a significant portion of the code. That would take about 4 months on top of the six that already passed.
6) Now, remember that ambitious scope of work that Mesanna proudly presented to the BS overlords? Do you think she is going to go back to them and tell them - "The plan is not working out because the publish is a failure. And the publish is a failure because of my bad ideas or someone else's bad ideas that I approved. And all that money you gave us was largely spent to piss off half of the player base. We can fix all this if you just give me a bunch more money. Because NOW, now, I really know how to do this right."
7) Of course that would never happen. Instead, they allocate some minuscule amount of hours to fix the worst bugs, and immediately move to whatever is next on their "list." Player concerns are dismissed. At the end of the year, BS overlords are shown an impressive list of accomplishments. Arses are covered. Bonuses are given out.
That sounds pretty plausible :D Just personally I would be way more conservative with the numbers, like: 10% hate it. 1% quits over it. 80% are indifferent just minding their own business and 10% wave their pom poms for every bullcrap saying "you can't please them all".

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That sounds pretty plausible :D Just personally I would be way more conservative with the numbers, like: 10% hate it. 1% quits over it. 80% are indifferent just minding their own business and 10% wave their pom poms for every bullcrap saying "you can't please them all".
Yeah, I took a more extreme example. Most of the time the numbers are much milder. Even with your numbers, if the team spent 6 months producing something that 80% do not care about, there is a problem, and that problem is at the very top.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Bonuses are given out.
?? WTF????? Mesanna already gets her bonuses, from her RMT friends. FYI, at one time, I had a couple of people displaying her level of "competence". They lasted about 2 weeks before I decided that they were better off in a different line of work. She is the textbook example of some promoted WAY beyond her level of ability.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
When people were requesting the commission vendors, didn’t someone argue against them saying that it would break the vendor search due to the sheer volume? I guess us turkeys really did vote for Christmas.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree, but I think you missed a step.

797DCFD4-CBC0-4E08-AE9C-CC50DAAF9AC2.jpeg

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, I took a more extreme example. Most of the time the numbers are much milder. Even with your numbers, if the team spent 6 months producing something that 80% do not care about, there is a problem, and that problem is at the very top.
Totally agree. When I played a lot me and my friends usually did content that was implemented when UO had a proper team. Thunting, peerless, Stygian abyss content, champ spawns, etc. Basically none of it was developed by the current team. I can't say I ever had fun doing anything in Eodon. I did the roof because it has OP loot, but that is the only reason to go there.

They can call themself happy to have such a broad history of properly designed content. Even though they try their best to make this stuff more grindy and complicated whenever they can *cough* tmaps *cough*.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I would love to see other shards have a Luna Mall comparable to Atlantic. Maybe not AS big but most shards Luna is a ghost town. If more people would set up shop on their own shards, things might just get better. I have wanted this for a long time. Origin was that way once, I am trying to do my part but more people need to step up. I was on ATL yesterday and there was a random person running around looking for a full spellbook...something as SIMPLE as a full spellbook that didn't cost a ridiculous amount of gold. I ended up giving him mine. Vendors need to be newb friendly as well.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When people were requesting the commission vendors, didn’t someone argue against them saying that it would break the vendor search due to the sheer volume? I guess us turkeys really did vote for Christmas.
That's the problem with the VS, not the commission vendors. Commission vendors were about 15 years overdue.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Vendor search was broken most of the time on Atlantic even before commission vendors.

Vendor search is broken by the sheer amount of stuff transferred to Atlantic to sell, instead of selling on the originating shard. Atlantic's vendor item volume would be about 1/3 without 90% of the players transferring their stuff to sell on Atlantic (and still be 10x the volume of any other shard). The Vendor Search system was constructed by someone using any other shard as a test bed for it, and not realizing that 99% of the vendor volume was on Atlantic.

It would be like trying to use Cooperstown, NY (during any week other than Baseball HoF induction) as the template for designing traffic control for Manhattan.

Last edited:

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Vendor search was broken most of the time on Atlantic even before commission vendors.

Vendor search is broken by the sheer amount of stuff transferred to Atlantic to sell, instead of selling on the originating shard. Atlantic's vendor item volume would be about 1/3 without 90% of the players transferring their stuff to sell on Atlantic (and still be 10x the volume of any other shard). The Vendor Search system was constructed by someone using any other shard as a test bed for it, and not realizing that 99% of the vendor volume was on Atlantic.

It would be like trying to use Cooperstown, KY (during any week other than Baseball HoF induction) as the template for designing traffic control for Manhattan.
Vendor search is broken by the armies of EJ accounts belonging to the 3rd party sellers (that the devs refuse to do anything about). They are "'botting" VS constantly. Which is causing the "overload". Do away with the EJ accounts ability to access VS and I suspect it will work. That's the rumor going around ATL anyway.

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It would be like trying to use Cooperstown, KY (during any week other than Baseball HoF induction) as the template for designing traffic control for Manhattan.
The transfer shields that resulted in Atlantic becoming the trade hub were also a developer 'innovation'.

Whether we like it or not, at this point the game is tied to real-world economics through RMT (both through the UO store and 3rd party),
but the decisions made are not taking into account fundamentals of a market economy.

So even if the code was perfect on their publishes, we would still have a broken economy. (And 3rd party vendors who abuse endless journey for increased profitability.)

And on top of it, a portion of the player base conflates market price with in-game vendor/auction safe prices. This is even worse now that non-commission vendors exist. (Sorry, this last one is a bit off-topic.)

Lord Ron Fellows

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Vendor search is broken by the armies of EJ accounts belonging to the 3rd party sellers (that the devs refuse to do anything about). They are "'botting" VS constantly. Which is causing the "overload". Do away with the EJ accounts ability to access VS and I suspect it will work. That's the rumor going around ATL anyway.
What makes you think people scripting vs are exclusively using EJ's? The problem isnt botters. Its ****ty code. WoW has botters all day every day and their VS (Auction House) is silky smooth.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What makes you think people scripting vs are exclusively using EJ's? The problem isnt botters. Its ****ty code. WoW has botters all day every day and their VS (Auction House) is silky smooth.
Because WoW's dev team actually gets money to invest in a good query system unlike UOs?

I do agree that almost certainly poor code though. And a bad dev team, but nothing knew there.

Didn't WoW break the big auction scanning mod a while back though? Something about causing too much stress on the servers, or am I misremembering?

Lord Ron Fellows

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because WoW's dev team actually gets money to invest in a good query system unlike UOs?

I do agree that almost certainly poor code though. And a bad dev team, but nothing knew there.

Didn't WoW break the big auction scanning mod a while back though? Something about causing too much stress on the servers, or am I misremembering?
I played wow classic when it came out last year for about 9 months or something. There are several current AH scanning mods.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Cooperstown is in NY and not KY. I know ... I live 2 hours from there. But I get your point.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yall are all idiots. Cooperstown is part of El Paso TX.

But Basara said the one with the baseball HoF. So he just put a K instead of an N.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
yeah it was just a typo. for some reason my right hand gets out of sync with my left hand when typing (left handed). I had damage to the nerves as a 4-year old (put my right arm through a storm door window, arm was so sliced up they had to put a cast on the forearm to reinforce/protect the stitches even though there was no bone damage). That or it was thinking for itself like Ash William's hand, and decided to put the state I'm in instead of NY.

Of course, there was also the Cooperstown restaurant (I believe in Arizona) that was owned by Alice Cooper, was baseball themed, and had a 2 lb. hot dog named "Randy Johnson's Big Unit".

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You might want to google something before sticking foot in mouth Cooperstown, KY
And @Xare - As was noted, Basara mention the baseball hall of fame - that dear friends is Cooperstown, NY which makes my statement valid. For your enjoyment: Basara's last statement (colored font is mine) " It would be like trying to use Cooperstown, KY (during any week other than Baseball HoF induction) as the template for designing traffic control for Manhattan. "

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
And @Xare - As was noted, Basara mention the baseball hall of fame - that dear friends is Cooperstown, NY which makes my statement valid. For your enjoyment: Basara's last statement (colored font is mine) " It would be like trying to use Cooperstown, KY (during any week other than Baseball HoF induction) as the template for designing traffic control for Manhattan. "
Yea, I was wrong and totally confused. Sorry about that.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cooperstown is in NY and not KY. I know ... I live 2 hours from there. But I get your point.
LMAO I just quoted your statement and maybe you need to go back and learn basic reading. You stated Cooperstown was in NY not KY and I proved %10000000000000000000000000000000 that in fact KY does have a Cooperstown. The only qualifying statement to your remark is the you live 2 hours from Cooperstown, NY, well good for you that still doesn't prove that KY doesn't have a Cooperstown, KY just because you don't live near it. According to your logic then Lancaster, PA doesn't exists because I grew up in Lancaster, Ca, oh wait I am smart enough that there may be more than one Lancaster in the world other then where I live.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow what depths you go to, to attempt dig yourself out of a hole.

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
?? WTF????? Mesanna already gets her bonuses, from her RMT friends. FYI, at one time, I had a couple of people displaying her level of "competence". They lasted about 2 weeks before I decided that they were better off in a different line of work. She is the textbook example of some promoted WAY beyond her level of ability.
I enjoy you, you to me are the Q Anon supporter of this forum. Your concepts and theories are so ridiculous, that you can't honestly have spent more time thinking about the plausibility of them, in relation to the time you spent typing them.

Mesanna isn't on any RMT company's payroll. First of all , most of these people aren't even companies by any real definition. It's one random guy selling melons out of his truck. Furthermore, she works a job for 20 years, gets to work with her husband, and I guarantee BS or EA's legal has that **** wrapped up nice and tight, she's not going to risk anything to make a few bucks on the side. She's not at the beginning of her career, she's going to want to retire (eventually) and have a stable existence. I would imagine, at the very least.

Second, my dearest Mike Liddell, NO ONE is ddosing the vendor search. Vendor Search is literally SO nice for rmt, the fact it's a broken tool costs more time and money for people trying to provide a quality service than you could even comprehend. This isn't even an actual rumor - that's typical head in the sand nonsense. This is some guy running a book dropping script, telling you what to think. God bless you if that is all the critical thinking you require.

It's just poorly coded. It seems to hit a wall when multiple text based queries go through within the same time frame.

If any further questions, happy to assist