• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[vlog] UO => f2p ... Good or bad?

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I think UO will look more populated, populated with impoverished gaming refugees.

I wonder how many years these players too poor to pay a monthly fee will have to slave away in game to get gear that's going to allow them to compete in anything really, but I think of pvp because my youngest son use to go play the free shards to pvp since he could instantly create high end gear there.

It's not going to work that way for free UO I don't suppose?

I can see some of the FTP refugees getting some assistance from the paying players, but unless there's gold for sale for cash at the Origin store how will getting geared for high end content work after the new wears off?

If FTP is worth nothing else I guess a couple paid parents can put their little kids to farming resources on the FTP accounts?

Can't have a house or bank but they sure could hand off to a paid account.

Oh yeah so can the abusers, right?

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not really F2P. Its a trial account with restrictions. There is a difference. They have gone for the easy option of just lifting the time restriction on a trial account rather than develop UO to be a F2P game. Its a bit half-arsed. When you factor in that UO is also subscription based but with a cash store (which EA seems to be milking more and more) then the whole model is an awful hybrid which isnt doing the game itself (playerbase wise) any favours at all.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
free to cheat ? there will probably be more cheating than there is now. I also see some exploits that may occur. i guess we will see.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I personally don't see anything 'good' coming out of it.

1. I see a first flush of potential 'new or returning' players coming to check it out, but once they see they have to subscribe to get a house, drops, having to pay for additional bank storage etc etc will think what is the point, and leave again.

2. What I do see is a bunch of resource gatherers by the thousand coming and as the above said handing stuff off to the 'paid' account. If you thought scripting was bad now lets just wait and see. I also see a huge amount of 'free' spawners now pummelling the low pop shards for scrolls and again handing them off to the 'paid' account, I see macro'd beggers doing trick or treat, macro'd toons down in heartwood oh joy oh joy. And if those things don't give rewards then see 1 above.

3. I see very very few of the EJ people ending up actually 'paying' to play, in fact I think the bulk of the EJ players will be existing players just using the 'new' system to anonymously cheat. They can do it now but how much easier will it be with unlimited time, and not having to redo it every two weeks where you can have your 'cheatman' logged out in the Inn for the rest of UO eternity.

Yep, I guess I am just not a glass half full kinda woman. Sadly I see nothing but the death knoll. Whilever UO resisted the call of ftp it stood a chance, now, I don't think it will be long, maybe a yr or two more of the slow grinding life sucking whatever $$ it can get out of the die hards while cheating runs even more rampant. Why stop 'multiboxers' if the EJ accounts don't get drops? Seems a bit stupid to me. Fact is they haven't 'bothered' to stop them for the past how many years and all of a sudden they can?

Also anyone thought about what this will do on siege. I have, I see a gazillion more 'players' appear owned by existing players, so the need for the ONE character slot is absolutely redundant, (even more so than the impact of soulstones, now you won't even need to buy them, just create and train another toon) we can have whatever toon we want now just leave it logged at an Inn and pass off the goods to existing accounts.

Last edited:

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally don't see anything 'good' coming out of it.

1. I see a first flush of potential 'new or returning' players coming to check it out, but once they see they have to subscribe to get a house, drops, having to pay for additional bank storage etc etc will think what is the point, and leave again.

2. What I do see is a bunch of resource gatherers by the thousand coming and as the above said handing stuff off to the 'paid' account. If you thought scripting was bad now lets just wait and see. I also see a huge amount of 'free' spawners now pummelling the low pop shards for scrolls and again handing them off to the 'paid' account, I see macro'd beggers doing trick or treat, macro'd toons down in heartwood oh joy oh joy. And if those things don't give rewards then see 1 above.

3. I see very very few of the EJ people ending up actually 'paying' to play, in fact I think the bulk of the EJ players will be existing players just using the 'new' system to anonymously cheat. They can do it now but how much easier will it be with unlimited time, and not having to redo it every two weeks where you can have your 'cheatman' logged out in the Inn for the rest of UO eternity.

Yep, I guess I am just not a glass half full kinda woman. Sadly I see nothing but the death knoll. Whilever UO resisted the call of ftp it stood a chance, now, I don't think it will be long, maybe a yr or two more of the slow grinding life sucking whatever $$ it can get out of the die hards while cheating runs even more rampant. Why stop 'multiboxers' if the EJ accounts don't get drops? Seems a bit stupid to me. Fact is they haven't 'bothered' to stop them for the past how many years and all of a sudden they can?

Also anyone thought about what this will do on siege. I have, I see a gazillion more 'players' appear owned by existing players, so the need for the ONE character slot is absolutely redundant, (even more so than the impact of soulstones, now you won't even need to buy them, just create and train another toon) we can have whatever toon we want now just leave it logged at an Inn and pass off the goods to existing accounts.
Yeah, but apart from all that it’ll be great, don’t you think?

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aye well I hate free to play stuff as it basically lets in all the horrors of the internet, as why respect what you don't have anything invested in?

But rather than this 'pretend' ftp EJ they would be still be better off just making it fully FTP, with housing and the whole kit and kaboodle. (although I hate to say it).

That may actually lead to more active servers, could even get in all the stray lambs from the free to play existing servers, and if those of us who currently subscribe and are 'settled' in as much as we can't be bothered to scour the net for another reasonable game, spend the same amount per yr per account on the price gouging UO Store on want to have items, then they are no worse off and perhaps if with housing and all the benefits of a 'full' UO free game they may get in more funds enough to pay someone to be on around the clock to actually enforce the damn tos.

The existing playerbase will already be above the line as we have our houses etc so it is not like a bunch of newbie players are gonna take anything from us that we don't already have, they will just 'fill' in the empty lands and perhaps actually STAY and play. Although how you stop people just opening accounts to get houses is something to be ironed out. Perhaps the old having to log in once a week on house owner account should come into play and if the 'lands' do get full just add a 'housing' facet with empty blocks and a moongate, who knows, there must be ways of controlling it.

The fact is the 'haves' and 'have nots' that the EJ is gonna bring is a total waste of time and energy. Soon as they realise they have to pay for the most important 'content' ie housing, they will leave. I currently spend about $420 aud per yr to play 3 accounts so I would spend that at the UO store if it was free to play for no loss to myself. I rarely buy anything from the store now as I hate the double dipping and basically think it is a price gouge when I am actually paying to play already.

The way this EJ is structured will not do anything for this game, and I am really surprised they think otherwise.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From a gamer’s perspective, I see small benefits, but a lot of issues. They really need to rework on this ftp model.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sometimes when I travel I have a few hours to kill a week. It'd be nice to play without paying. I would have come back to just look around a lot if this was active. Sometimes I just want to go kill some earth eles for some reason... or grind out some cyclops/titans.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Free 2 Play is a joke. The game is unplayable and that right there will make it a epic failure

I was told the Free 2 Play accounts cannot even goto Fel?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Free 2 Play is a joke. The game is unplayable and that right there will make it a epic failure

I was told the Free 2 Play accounts cannot even goto Fel?
Disregard anything your told unless you see it in a pic or audio clip from the anniversary party. 1st hand rumors are bad enough without people saying they heard 2nd or 3rd hand another rumor.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh f2p will be great, just surprised no ever thought of that before. Lots of new faces, it will revitalize the game. All the nay Sayers will be like wow we never guessed at what f2p would bring to this kind of game.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Disregard anything your told unless you see it in a pic or audio clip from the anniversary party. 1st hand rumors are bad enough without people saying they heard 2nd or 3rd hand another rumor.
No Bank
No Fel
Cant wear any legendary armor
No Housing,
No Boat Storage.
No Stables?

As a person coming back this would not entice me to go subscription.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh f2p will be great, just surprised no ever thought of that before. Lots of new faces, it will revitalize the game. All the nay Sayers will be like wow we never guessed at what f2p would bring to this kind of game.
Is this that new sarcasm thing I’ve been hearing about?

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The official FAQ doesn't mention any of those three points.

So, is there any official word on that or are you just spreading rumors?
just from the meet and greet when she talked about it
legendary armor requires SA and none of the trial accounts have it.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
But Messana already said that all accounts will soon be upgraded to Stygian Abyss, probably before EJ even starts.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The FAQ states:
Endless Journey accounts receive complementary access to all Ultima Online expansions through Stygian Abyss. Other expansions can be purchased and applied to an Endless Journey account.
English might no be my native tongue, but I read that as getting SA for free plus I can add any other expansion to my EJ acc. So even if it wouldn't be free, I could add it...

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You're just spreading rumors. Unless you know 100% something is going to happen just don't speculate unless you make it clear you're speculating or assuming details. The UO population is very prone to false rumors.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Taking my staff hat off for a moment - speaking ENTIRELY as a normal Stratics user that happened to BE at the party.

Most of what you have been saying has been HEARSAY that is the OPPOSITE of what was actually stated. Or, totally made up bovine manure.

FIRST.

Legendary Equipment does NOT require SA, unless it has a property that only comes from SA.
I have a Legendary bracelet that is 4x15 skills, STR+8, Mana+4 MR 3, 150 Luck, FC 1, and is Antique - but doesn't require SA.
I have a Studded Tunic, also legendary, that is Brittle, STR +4, Dex +4, HPR 4, MR 3, Luck 150, RPD 15%, LRC 25%, 17/24/18/3/4, and it isn't "Requires Stygian Abyss" either.
What is it about the word "Assume", again?

Plus, as others pointed out, SA for all accounts is coming - hopefully before EJ. People keep trying to tie it to EJ, but it was NOT SAID IN CONJUNCTION WITH EJ AT ANY POINT (someone across the room mentioned EJ, but they were told to save that for the official announcement). I was THERE. EJ wasn't even discussed until 10-20 minutes or more AFTER they told us about the upgrade to SA for everyone.

SECOND.

IT WAS SAID, VERY CLEARLY, THAT EJ WOULD HAVE ACCESS TO FEL. What MIGHT be an issue is if they will have access to Fel Champ Spawns or not. This was actually discussed, if you'd actually watched the video (and you've repeatedly proven you haven't). They hope to find a way by the time EJ is released to allow EJ accounts to participate in Champs, without EJ accounts being turned into Ghost Cams (one possible fix stated was to have EJ ghosts booted from the areas, even when the spawn was inactive - especially if logged out. but nothing was set in stone as yet). Yew Gate PvP will still be as unfettered as the EJ account restrictions on equipment would allow (they might not be able to used items made of special materials/enhanced).

THIRD.

They mentioned POSSIBLY having LIMITED stable slots. not, "no stable". Stable restrictions aren't even mentioned in the official announcement on uo.com. Any limits would probably function similar to the limited bank access (where you might be able to pull some things out, but not put them back), or have tamers limited to non-tamer slot numbers, plus additional slots from the store tokens. Again, that was something that was still in flux.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Its not really F2P. Its a trial account with restrictions. There is a difference. They have gone for the easy option of just lifting the time restriction on a trial account rather than develop UO to be a F2P game. Its a bit half-arsed. When you factor in that UO is also subscription based but with a cash store (which EA seems to be milking more and more) then the whole model is an awful hybrid which isnt doing the game itself (playerbase wise) any favours at all.
Yeah, but apart from all that it’ll be great, don’t you think?
Is this that new sarcasm thing I’ve been hearing about?
And yet the worlds largest free MMORPG (RuneScape) must be doing something wrong then... cuz it's pretty similar to what UO's Endless Journey will be offering. If there wasn't restrictions then going F2P wouldn't be worth doing, what your proposing is another freeshard and we all know the current population couldn't keep it afloat on a full F2P model. Freemium is the way to go for UO, people can play for FREE but have to pay for additional content (Housing, Ships, Vet Rewards, EM Events, Holiday/Promotional, etc)

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm not sure if people realize what may happen when it comes to scripting, multi char use, idocs ect... I see so many cheats/exploits someone could do, running many accounts and not worry if they get banned. searching/timing idocs, friend many packies to one account and auto loot which ive seen at idocs. endless char storage and so much more. I'm not sure if possible to bod gather/fill scripting. its one thing to allow free to play but with no real enforcement of the rules and endless free accounts, this may be last straw for me. like I said, free to cheat. I thought it was going to go on steam, not free to play I mean cheat. i know people think a lot of new players will come and hopefully stay. maybe they will but can they buy anything? can they get repair deeds? there are a lot of good people that may help new players but many people don't need others because of multi chars use. they should of made a video library to help new players which would of been easy to do. there is so much to know. videos are the best way for people to learn.
just my opinions. I hope I'm wrong.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
we all know the current population couldn't keep it afloat on a full F2P model
Of course it wouldnt, theres probably under 5000 UO players still left. But a FULL free to play model would bring in a lot more players who would overall spend significantly more through a microtransaction system. EA want it all ways ... subscription and microtransactions (even for the sub players). EJ might bring back a few old players, and some new ones, but not many will convert to subscription, especially when people realise how behind the curve they are. A new shard would have been better.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Other gaming companies research has shown that people spend, on average, MORE per month in free-to-play games than the subscription cost. That is the main reason SoE made Everquest 2 free-to-play. But most of the games that started with a subscription at launch have a tiered subscription model now. It's not just free or full sub. there is often at least one middle road. I can see the in-game store selling more and more items here after EJ.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Other gaming companies research has shown that people spend, on average, MORE per month in free-to-play games than the subscription cost. That is the main reason SoE made Everquest 2 free-to-play. But most of the games that started with a subscription at launch have a tiered subscription model now. It's not just free or full sub. there is often at least one middle road. I can see the in-game store selling more and more items here after EJ.
Depends on the quality... F2P apps are notoriously bad investments.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not really F2P. Its a trial account with restrictions. There is a difference. When you factor in that UO is also subscription based but with a cash store (which EA seems to be milking more and more) then the whole model is an awful hybrid which isnt doing the game itself (playerbase wise) any favours at all.
This hybrid approach is exactly how every single successful F2P MMO ever has always done it.

F2P mode is just a gateway to the game, idea is to get the player to like the game so much a certain desire to go deeper happens. If and when it does happen, player typically begins spending money on game by subscribing and using the cash store.

Enough of these functions are at place for Broadsword to get away with calling whatever is coming as F2P. Which is why it kinda makes my heart bleed when Mesanna repeatedly insists "IT IS NOT FREE2PLAY!!" I really hope gaming sites and such writing about this won't follow her example. So much depends on sheer appearances. "UO introducing a Free2Play model!" makes news that holds some real weight. " UO extending their trial!" interests nobody. I feel this applies even in situation where feature-list is 1:1 in both scenarios. I don't get WHY they feel they need to make an effort to underline it is NOT F2P. It can only hurt them.

Even though cash shops of F2P MMos typically feature unlocks and whatnot designed for the F2P crowd to buy, I think the shop is there mostly for the subscribers. Cash shop in an F2P game is there mostly to ensure that the subscriber spends EVEN MORE money, on top of his monthly fee. ;p

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
* likes to start rumors*
Ej accounts will be fel only accounts to play in the other faucets you will have to pay a monthly fee.
I heard that EJ account characters all have their names randomly switched to Carol or Arron, as to not be offensive.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This hybrid approach is exactly how every single successful F2P MMO ever has always done it.

F2P mode is just a gateway to the game, idea is to get the player to like the game so much a certain desire to go deeper happens. If and when it does happen, player typically begins spending money on game by subscribing and using the cash store.

Enough of these functions are at place for Broadsword to get away with calling whatever is coming as F2P. Which is why it kinda makes my heart bleed when Mesanna repeatedly insists "IT IS NOT FREE2PLAY!!" I really hope gaming sites and such writing about this won't follow her example. So much depends on sheer appearances. "UO introducing a Free2Play model!" makes news that holds some real weight. " UO extending their trial!" interests nobody. I feel this applies even in situation where feature-list is 1:1 in both scenarios. I don't get WHY they feel they need to make an effort to underline it is NOT F2P. It can only hurt them.
I don't understand why she would even say something like that... if you don't have to pay to play... it IS free to play, even if the account is limited.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
[vlog] UO is gonna be Free-to-Play soon! I tried to consider my sins before it happens and to analyze - is it good news or not?

Hope to see your feedback! :D
You've been gone for well over a year, we want YOUR feedback...where you been ? :p

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure if people realize what may happen when it comes to scripting, multi char use, idocs ect... I see so many cheats/exploits someone could do, running many accounts and not worry if they get banned.
And this is no issue with current trial accounts?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Dude, you're wrong and spreading rumors. You're making assumptions and spreading rumors. We called you out on it and it's not a big deal. The fact that you're doubling down on your mistake just means you will continue to spread dumb rumors. Try to learn your lesson politely and just say thanks for pointing it out. Apologize as you feel necessary.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
seeing how the game comes raw, and you need upgrades to wear legendaries and for a boat. I think it eliminates you right there.
As has been stated in this post 1) not all leg's require SA, and 2) regardless, it was also stated that EJ accounts would have SA. So...

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Current trial acc limitations: They can't harvest colored Resources...
They aren't trial accounts though... Like others on this board, you're just spreading rumors. Speculation is great, but when you state things like fact it's bad.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They aren't trial accounts though... Like others on this board, you're just spreading rumors. Speculation is great, but when you state things like fact it's bad.
They said that's what EJ accounts would be. The only differences I have heard talk of is letting them into fel, and upgrading to SA. While not 100% for sure, It's safe to assume that the trial account limitations will be the same as the EJ limitations, unless stated.

Last edited:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You're making assumptions. Someone is going to read this and think it's true. Someone that could potentially come back to the game for EJ.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're making assumptions. Someone is going to read this and think it's true. Someone that could potentially come back to the game for EJ.
Assumptions based on the information given. Like I said nothing is 100%, but there are some safe general conclusions to be drawn. Primairly that it's safe to assume that EJ accounts will be very similar in limitations to current trial accounts. Regardless of the particulars, EJ accounts will be very limited, as that is of course the point of them.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Assumptions based on the information given. Like I said nothing is 100%, but there are some safe general conclusions to be drawn. Primairly that it's safe to assume that EJ accounts will be very similar in limitations to current trial accounts. Regardless of the particulars, EJ accounts will be very limited, as that is of course the point of them.
While I agree the restrictions will be similar to trial accounts (which they should be to avoid abuse), until it's made official your claims are assumptions... please review the official link here (Endless Journey – Ultima Online) in the meantime as well as anyone else that's making false claims of EJ

What are the other restrictions on an Endless Journey account?

Full restrictions are still in active development and a comprehensive list will be available as soon as it is finalized. As of this time Endless Journey accounts will not be eligible for EM rewards, promotional, holiday, or veteran rewards. Endless Journey accounts may not place ships. Endless Journey accounts may only enter public housing and may not access containers or stacks of items within a house. Endless Journey accounts cannot place or rent vendors and cannot be co-owned or friended to a house.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Seems like some of you are hoping they gimp these EJ accounts to the point where there's no enjoyment to do it for fear of some perceived abuse that already happens anyways. For any free to play model to be successful they can't feel too inferior to a regular account.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I agree the restrictions will be similar to trial accounts (which they should be to avoid abuse), until it's made official your claims are assumptions... please review the official link here (Endless Journey – Ultima Online) in the meantime as well as anyone else that's making false claims of EJ

What are the other restrictions on an Endless Journey account?

Full restrictions are still in active development and a comprehensive list will be available as soon as it is finalized. As of this time Endless Journey accounts will not be eligible for EM rewards, promotional, holiday, or veteran rewards. Endless Journey accounts may not place ships. Endless Journey accounts may only enter public housing and may not access containers or stacks of items within a house. Endless Journey accounts cannot place or rent vendors and cannot be co-owned or friended to a house.
Well, I did say they were assumptions multiple times, so... :p

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems like some of you are hoping they gimp these EJ accounts to the point where there's no enjoyment to do it for fear of some perceived abuse that already happens anyways. For any free to play model to be successful they can't feel too inferior to a regular account.
They will be very "gimped". That's not even a question. The only thing we don't know is the particulars. The entire point of EJ is to get people to subscribe, as such it must offer a very bare bones experience.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That's not the point of a free to play model. The point of a free to play model is to give the game to a player and have microtransactions. It takes trust from a developer that players will pay for little courtesies that aren't necessary to play the game, but make it more fun or convenient.

What you're describing is a trial account.

Hopefully Broadsword follows a successful free to play model and not what you are describing.