• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

vista, what the heck?

• Thread starter imported_mr.blackmage
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_mr.blackmage

Okay, so now I'm upset enough about it to make a post for it. New computer, has vista (blah). Oh well, I didn't think it would be too big of an issue. But WHY oh WHY does my keyboard keep changing in the middle while I'm pvping, so that the alt key does not work, and my ;',./[]\ keys are all spanish characters. Why? It makes pvping impossible (most of my important macros are bound to these keys) and while I'm suspecting that it's a vista problem, google isn't giving me a solution. Maybe someone here can help? Thanks. I can't even open up my paperdoll or backpack because it uses the alt key. ARGHHH.

G

You see small SP or something to that effect in lower right corner by the tray icons?
When it changes to EN (english keyboard setup) it starts doing those things.
If you don't see it look for "show language toolbar" option and activate it. Yo may want to uninstall the English option all together and leave only the one you use i.e. Spanish.

*uses Portuguese keyboard*

I

imported_mr.blackmage

yeah, I have an english keyboard and that's all I speak, and there is no language bar. I tried the taskbar, toolbar, (which is where it is supposed to be), but no such luck. Thank you though.

G

When I right click on the toolbar (the very bottom one) the first option in the menu that pops is "toolbars" and inside toolbars there's another menu - language toolbar is there...
I have some programs installed in English versions, ex. ICQ, and using it sometimes makes the overall language switch to English...

I

imported_mr.blackmage

yeah exactly, i have no language toolbar. I have an option to add one, but I have to select the exact file that I want, which of course I have no idea what I am looking for.

I

imported_mr.blackmage

it might help to say that although this account (the only one on the computer) was setup to be administrator, however after about a week it switched and now I can't even access my taskmanager. So thinking upon this, it stands to reason that the language toolbar is an administrator function. Oh wow vista is upsetting.

G

Go into your control panel, then into the Region and Language Options setting and make sure Spanish isn't check marked in there. Better yet, since you don't speak Spanish, and if Spanish is listed as one of the keyboard layouts, just remove it from the list so that only English is checked.

I

imported_mr.blackmage

ahh you may have fixed it... everything is canada, canadian (eng), except when I check the properties the keyboard is set for US, canadian (french, and canadian multlingual standard. The icons that are appearing are those from the multilingual standard. And in the settings, the language bar is hidden. Okay, thank you very much, I think you just resolved this for me. I removed the other keyboard language options and hopefully this will work.

G

Hope it does sort it out for you. If not, reply back and I will do some more digging and we'll see if we can figure it out.

W

Wood

Why did you go with Vista???

Like the old saying goes, if it's not broke don't fix it.

G

Good_Ole_Lefty

"Why did you go with Vista???"

Only option with store bought these days. Many of the cheap models only come with 512mb of ram and they struggle to boot.

Every Tech I have talked to says vista is junk. It hogs resources and steals GPU cycles to boot. If you're a hard core gamer or want to get the best out of your computer. Go with XP.

G

I hope that's not true.
After many months of debating, I went Vista. No problem with it so far, but haven't done any major gaming. Eventually probably come back to UO, maybe check out WoW out of curiosity, other games. *shrugs* Still undecided. As usual... think think think think... until the cows come home, and even all the lost sheep, bah!

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vista is an excellent operating system and the problem the OP is having isn't caused by Vista. It's caused by the MUI (Multi-language User Interface) that the OP accidentally toggled to Spanish. Btw, MUI works the same in XP and Vista.

I find that most people that knock Vista haven't really taken the time to try it out, and most of the complaints are the same ones I heard about XP when it came out in October 2001 (performance dog, unstable, hard to figure out, stupid new menu, etc.).

I'm playing Unreal on my Vista system and I'm very happy with it. I moved Rise of Nations from my XP machine to my Vista machine and I can't believe how fast it loads (10 seconds versus 30 seconds) and plays. I have to admit though I moved it from a 2.8 GHz single core system with 1GB to a 2.4GHZ Quad Core Q6600 with 2GB of RAM, so it's really not a fair comparison.

Something I definitely have to point out about Vista is its stability. I've had one system running Vista since November 2006, and it has never ever blue-screened or frozen. I only reboot it after applying the monthly security patches. I normally leave it turned on or in sleep mode.

I

imported_mr.blackmage

Uh? How does playing UO accidently toggle my language to spanish? These are the default Vista settings, it happens either by pressing alt, or ', and since I never had this problem with XP, my remaining assumption was that vista is the culprit. So far, Vista is a p.o.s. For example, when I wanted to change something, I had to click EIGHT different "yes I am sure" screens before it let me do it. My microsoft branded webcam does not work, and my razer barracuda ac-1 sound card was a pancake to get working. My computer is similar to yours Setneffa, except I am at 3gb, and a 8800 gts 620mb vid card. Anywho, I am not sure if this is resolved yet. About to log in and see if it happens again.

G

I am more than happy with Vista. I have vista Ult. and I play both WoW and UO (PvP) and have had no problems. Tho I have quad core extr. and dual 8800 gtx I dont think any game can bog me down much.

I

imported_mr.blackmage

after much hunting, I found "hot keys for input languages". Although I already deleted the other 2 default inputs, I found that alt + shift would change the input languages. I changed the key settings so that it isn't possible. This is not the same as XP, since I never had this problem with xp in my years of pvping in it. Ahh it is satisfying to fix this... Will be good to pvp without half my macros suddenly not working and being unable to talk in party chat or anything. Thanks all.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Uh? How does playing UO accidently toggle my language to spanish? These are the default Vista settings, it happens either by pressing alt, or ', and since I never had this problem with XP, my remaining assumption was that vista is the culprit. So far, Vista is a p.o.s. For example, when I wanted to change something, I had to click EIGHT different "yes I am sure" screens before it let me do it. My microsoft branded webcam does not work, and my razer barracuda ac-1 sound card was a pancake to get working. My computer is similar to yours Setneffa, except I am at 3gb, and a 8800 gts 620mb vid card. Anywho, I am not sure if this is resolved yet. About to log in and see if it happens again.

[/ QUOTE ]The advanced MUI is an option with XP, but I believe it is standard on most of the Vista SKU's. It's also possible your keyboard software has a hotkey configured to toggle your MUI settings. If you removed Spanish as an option as suggested above, that shouldn't happen again.

I must agree the "User Access Control" prompts can be irritating but they are there to prevent unauthorized access to your system from zombies or Bots. There is a way to disable them, but I don't recommend it.

I

imported_mr.blackmage

Yeah, I do know my ways around computers, I just did not know my way around Vista. There is no software to install with this keyboard, it is purely plug and play, but clearly there is a difference between how vista and xp register this keyboard.

No worries though, I already disabled the multiple prompts. If I want to do something, then I want to do it then, not 100 clicks later.

K

Kratos Aurion

windows xp SP 3 makes vista almost obsolete.

Vista is good in most cases on a 64mb processor, but on 32s it runs lousy and sloppy. They cant process fast enough to bring the OS to life

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since neither XP SP3 nor Vista SP1 are out yet, let's wait until then before we start comparing them. I know XP SP3 is due out on March 8. Vista SP1 should be out tomorrow. They both include performance boosts and optimizations, and considering how better SP2 was over SP1 for XP, things could definitely change for both.

I must say though, I had XP SP3 beta on my system for 4 months (I removed it because I couldn't install the current security updates) and I saw no significant performance boost over SP2...no new tools/utilities that I hadn't already installed (MMC 3.0, Windows Installer 3.1, XML6, etc.). The nicest thing about SP3 is that it rolls up over 50 hotfixes so companies won't have to deploy them all to every new system anymore.

Btw, pretty much all processors are 64-bit these days. Also the game performance comparisons between XP sp2 and Vista showed XP SP2 winning by a nose. It was pretty close on most benchmarks. I'm curious how they both do after the upcoming SP's.

Here's a look at SP3.

An overview of Vista SP1 can be found here.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Okay, so now I'm upset enough about it to make a post for it. New computer, has vista (blah). Oh well, I didn't think it would be too big of an issue. But WHY oh WHY does my keyboard keep changing in the middle while I'm pvping, so that the alt key does not work, and my ;',./[]\ keys are all spanish characters. Why? It makes pvping impossible (most of my important macros are bound to these keys) and while I'm suspecting that it's a vista problem, google isn't giving me a solution. Maybe someone here can help? Thanks. I can't even open up my paperdoll or backpack because it uses the alt key. ARGHHH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also this could be a firmware problem what name brand is it.I use logitech and have to download the firmware its like mini drivers for your keyboard and mouse and that usally fixes any issues i have.

G

<blockquote><hr>

"Why did you go with Vista???"

Only option with store bought these days. Many of the cheap models only come with 512mb of ram and they struggle to boot.

Every Tech I have talked to says vista is junk. It hogs resources and steals GPU cycles to boot. If you're a hard core gamer or want to get the best out of your computer. Go with XP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate vista witha passion all my comps run Windows Xp media center addition i hate Vista.

I

imported_Heartseeker

That is what I did also.

Firstly, I disabled the prompts from popping up, and secondly, after a few days I uninstalled Vista.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

not reading all of this threed, but my guess would be the way you have your macro's set up your triggering a windows shorcut command when you are hitting your macro's .. more than likly at the same time.
i had this problem with xp and some macro's if i didn't move my fingers fast enough when switching macros and left a key pressed when i hit another wierd stuff happened.
try alt+f4 for the win :p