• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Veterinary gains incredibly slow

I

Imyaidu

Hi all,

I'm trying to train up Vet, but holy man is it taking boat-loads of bandies. I've run through about 3500 bandies so far for a total of .4 gain. My current skill level is 93.4, and I'm using two pets to attack each other while I vet each of them. Doesn't this seem a little crazy? I've tried killing the pets and getting new ones, different facets, etc. with the same result. I'm going to go broke buying cloth at this rate!

Lady Arwen

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess I never really noticed my vet going up slow because I never really paid attention to it. Its at 120 now but I never really trained it at all.. I used an adv char token to start my tamer.. but after that I just kinda let it go and gain whenever lol. And thats the only char I have vet on so, I cant really tell ya if thats normal or not :lol:

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like... bad luck. It didn't take me that much to get to GM from 90, let alone 0.4 gain. But I think I had very good luck as well.

Maybe try poisoning a pet?

Ring up a point to see if it makes a difference?

Make sure you aren't skill capped (aka stone off any given skill)?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all,

I'm trying to train up Vet, but holy man is it taking boat-loads of bandies. I've run through about 3500 bandies so far for a total of .4 gain. My current skill level is 93.4, and I'm using two pets to attack each other while I vet each of them. Doesn't this seem a little crazy? I've tried killing the pets and getting new ones, different facets, etc. with the same result. I'm going to go broke buying cloth at this rate!
Here are a couple of suggestions:

Try using a veterinary skill power scroll, even a 105, if you haven't already.

Make sure you let the bandage finish working before you apply another one (you can hear when it finishes plus you get a message that says you have finished applying the bandage). I believe it takes about 2 seconds (maybe less) for bandages to work on pets. If you use UOAssist, you'll get a bandage icon and timer in the toolbar that can be helpful in getting used to the timing for applying bandages to animals.

Let the pet(s) take as much damage as possible before you apply the bandage so it heals more damage. You may get much better gains if you take your pet(s) out to hunt something that's a bit tough for them so you have to really work at the vetting to keep them alive (i.e., let them get to half-health or lower). You can always throw in a greater heal now and then if you are having trouble keeping the pet vetted. I'm not sure what your taming skill is, but if it's still pretty low, try taming a bear of any type and then having it kill another bear or two at the same time. Gamans are also good for this, if your taming skill is high enough, since they have a large number of hit points. Just make sure the animal(s) you're vetting have taken a significant amount of bandage before you slap on a bandage. At the level you're at, you will not gain much by healing lots of minor amounts of damage.

Good luck.

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had started my newest tamer a couple months ago. She got up into the 90s on vet and lore just fine from me vetting my pet that was doing the killing when I tamed. Then the skills pretty much stopped except for the GGS. I tried fighting two pets but it was so slow doing that. Lots of aids for little gains. So I killed a pet on another account and sat there rezing it with her and not accepting the rez with the pet owner. That helped better, and I did get her to GM which is all she needs. I actually resorted to using Lore on pets to finish that off.

I wonder if they put in something to slow the actual gains for tamers.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd just go out and hunt with pets. You've got enough to keep pets alive, and res them. Rather than sitting and just getting bored as you burn the bandaids, go out and either train a pet up (though hunting, if you park at shadow eles you'll just get bored somewhere else lol),while you raise vet, or just hunt for items or event mobs. Once the gains slow down, I think the last thing you want to do is sit still focusing entirely on how long and expensive the skill is becoming.

Put it this way, in the graveyard spawns just "pottering" around with a group who did the lich skellies, my draggy and I burned through in the region of 2k bandies and I never even noticed... well I did when I ran out :D But you get my point. Go out and use the skill and just do short bursts of static training if you really feel the need. But none of my tamers have sat still vetting like that for their end gains. For one thing, they had to earn gold to pay for the darn bandaids :D

Wenchy

F

FishinFool

I finally bought a 120 vet scroll and I found that my gains so far from 114 -up have been pretty consistant at .1 per 100 bandages.

Go hunt mummies or juka lords for a while, you'll have more bandages than you know what to do with.

U

uoBuoY

I'd just go out and hunt with pets. You've got enough to keep pets alive, and res them. Rather than sitting and just getting bored as you burn the bandaids, go out and either train a pet up (though hunting, if you park at shadow eles you'll just get bored somewhere else lol),while you raise vet, or just hunt for items or event mobs.

Wenchy
Amen to that...that's the best advice!

Take your pet(s) to kill something slightly tougher. You'll be so busy vetting and looting that you won't notice the the clock ticking.

My example: last night I took my 2 Kits to play with the White Wyrm in Ice. I gained 0.2 Vet from 109.8 to 110.0. My Kits finished off their training. I put over 200k in the bank. Dog knows how many gems. And, I earned an Honor dot (2.5 to 2.6)! A solid multitasking evening!

Don't use Vet jewelry. Buy the highest Vet scroll you can afford. Use normal bandages not enhanced. Train with poisoners so you can Vet poison. Vet a lot and have fun?

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hence why I say Rotting Corpses. They use high lvl poison alot and have high hps. Great gains.

I

Imyaidu

I ended up getting to GM in just a few hours time. Not sure why the gains started to kick in! What I did was use my bonded unicorn to attack a freshly tamed Gaman. I sat there and kept up with the bandies as best I could. The unicorn makes quick work of a gaman, so every two seconds I had to throw another bandie on the gaman. I'm just happy it worked...