• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Veteran rewards...

Scruffy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Do you think they will ever allow a veteran reward token or something similar to be bought from UOstore? I think it would sell very well cant think of many downsides to it.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would all depend on how they set it up. Is it a token that gives you a choice of any vet reward regardless of account age or is it a token that just adds a vet reward count to the vet reward gump that comes up as your account ages. If it just gave another reward count then it would be a good idea as you would still need to be the right age to claim the reward and IMHO it would not affect the price of some of the higher demanded rewards and UO could price it accordingly.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Not a fan of this one. One of the main reasons vet rewards are sought after is for a slight "status symbol" due to their rarity. But hey, I hated the "anyone can ride any ethy mount" crap they did a little while back as well... soo.. I am indeed biased in my feedback.

Even if the token allowed you to "buy" a token for the reward at that accounts age it could/would still flood the market rather quickly.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd like to see a "Vet Reward Cleanup Box".

You turn in an existing vet reward to it, you get a certain number of points, or an option to exchange for a different item of similar level.

Level, in this sense, would include things of the same value, not just the year level. If you don't do the exchange, you get less than face value in points.

Items received via exchange cannot be returned to the system at a later date for points (but can be exchanged for a like item), and marked as exchanged.
You could turn in a cloak/robe/dress, and either get back 1/10 of a point per year level (max of 1.0), or a clothing item up to your current reward level.

Statues and dye tubs would allow direct swapping for any statue or tub of the same or lower reward level, or 1/10 the Year level in points (max of 1.0).

House add-on deeds would work the same way, but could potentially be subdivided into multiple groups.

Account-bound items (including some non-reward items that are analogous to vet rewards, such as soulstones) would be worth half-normal value for the person turning it in, but the account that owns it would get half the value applied as well. This allows an account whose house fell to recover replacements for some of their soulstones or shard shields should they reactivate at a later date.

Note: this could also be used as a means to "change up" the reward clothing, given that the existing bonuses are kind of pathetic compared to easily acquired drops. The exchanged vet cloaks and robes could have random properties, or choices of set new properties, based on year. Say, Year*10 Luck, random regen 1-3, Resists up to +5%, etc. organized for making the items actually attractive to wear.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you think they will ever allow a veteran reward token or something similar to be bought from UOstore? I think it would sell very well cant think of many downsides to it.
What's the point of rewarding players for sticking around with the game with items, which you can also buy in the store? Makes absolutely no sense.
If they really would do that, the could completely ditch the whole vet reward program and put every of those items into the in-game store...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I'd like to see a "Vet Reward Cleanup Box".

You turn in an existing vet reward to it, you get a certain number of points, or an option to exchange for a different item of similar level.

Level, in this sense, would include things of the same value, not just the year level. If you don't do the exchange, you get less than face value in points.

Items received via exchange cannot be returned to the system at a later date for points (but can be exchanged for a like item), and marked as exchanged.
You could turn in a cloak/robe/dress, and either get back 1/10 of a point per year level (max of 1.0), or a clothing item up to your current reward level.

Statues and dye tubs would allow direct swapping for any statue or tub of the same or lower reward level, or 1/10 the Year level in points (max of 1.0).

House add-on deeds would work the same way, but could potentially be subdivided into multiple groups.

Account-bound items (including some non-reward items that are analogous to vet rewards, such as soulstones) would be worth half-normal value for the person turning it in, but the account that owns it would get half the value applied as well. This allows an account whose house fell to recover replacements for some of their soulstones or shard shields should they reactivate at a later date.

Note: this could also be used as a means to "change up" the reward clothing, given that the existing bonuses are kind of pathetic compared to easily acquired drops. The exchanged vet cloaks and robes could have random properties, or choices of set new properties, based on year. Say, Year*10 Luck, random regen 1-3, Resists up to +5%, etc. organized for making the items actually attractive to wear.
Great idea Basara! And about time the Devs do something like this!

Scruffy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I was thinking of it adding to your count. The reason I was curious is they keep adding new ones to the mix. Like the auction safe 1st year not sure when it was added but i know its not that old. I still have 14 choices on mine but just basically wondering if its ever came up before in one of the meetings.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Basara this has been asked for many, many times and it always seems to fall on deaf ears when it comes to getting any kind of reaction from the DEVs but it is always an excellent idea every time it is asked for.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The variations that I suggested a bit different than many of the earlier suggestions, in that they try to answer criticisms of such a program.

The first difference is that you either exchange like for like (with the inclusion of some new items, and new items might become account-bound/owned by), or only get a fraction of the item's worth. Too many of the faults seen in earlier suggestions were the possibility of trading a copper robe one for one for a shard shield, which is really a bad idea; or the opposite idea that everything count at a fraction of value, which really sucks if you want to trade a high end item for a more useful mid-range. There was room for something in between, that would allow someone to, say, trade up for an item that becomes account-bound, one-for-one, within the same category - or use a bunch of lower items to get something in a different category much more useful.

The second is that if you turn in someone's account-bound item, the owner's account gets partial credit, making it easier for them to claim a new version of the item when they return (after all, it's all-but-impossible for someone to find their empty soulstone labeled "unknown" for the character name in a soulstone graveyard).

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They would have to make anything gotten from these new tokens to be Account bound.
That way you cannot "ruin" the economy of "real" vet rewards but at the same time you could have that extra 5th year Statue you always wanted but were dambed if you were gonna waste a 20th year vet reward on getting it!.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think they should leave it as is and only add items to the store that are not already in game.

I'm still mad that they added the mini house deeds to the store because I spent countless hours/days/months shard trading them before shard shields existed. Now they're not really worth anything in game but in the store they sell for 200 last I checked. Grrrr!