• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vet Gains

B

Banner

OK folks I have read the forums on Vet gains and the problem is that I'm not in a guild.. So how would one gain in Vet doing it solo??? I mean It only took me 5 1/2 months to get Taming to 101.3 that's working an hour or two every other day.. Just want to take a short cut on the Vet.. I'm currently at 66.3 Vet..

M

MoneyMaker

For the solo tamer, the spawns are your greatest friend. There are usually a few tamers at any spawn at any given time, and most would be happy to have the help of keeping their pets alive.
If spawn is not your cup of tea, you can help tamers in Doom or some of the higher end monsters.
A good many times I have been greatful to a fellow tamer or herder who is training vet, for helping keep my pets alive. Especially when I am using a combo or a pack.
Just remember to ask before you start healing someones pets, its just good manners.
Its probably not the fastest route but it does work pretty fast.
Good Luck.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I start a new tamer character with 50 taming and 50 magery skill, I usually get very nice taming, lore, vet and magery gains by using the critters I'm taming to kill another critter of the same type. To start with, I tame two of the creatures (e.g., brown bears), release one, and then have the one that is still tamed kill the one that I just released. Because they have more or less equal skills, it usually takes a bit of work for the tamed critter to kill the released one and the lore and vet gains from vetting the one doing the killing stack up very nicely. I usually have the tamer try to help out with the killing by casting whatever magery skills she can cast so the magery gains go up.

After I tame the next creature, I release the one that did the killing the last tme around. Thus, no creature sticks around long enough to really train up skills to any degree and always takes a good beating that needs lots of bandages to heal.

When taming skill is high enough to tame a unicorn or nightmare, I don't release the one that's doing the killing. Rather, I keep training it by killing off the unicorns I'm taming for gains and have released. (No karma loss for killing a released unicorn or ki-rin.) For variety and to make some gold, I'll often take an unbonded unicorn to the wisp dungeon to kill wisps. Vet and lore gains are good and I make some gold. Don't usually try the paragons until the unicorns at least partially trained and/or bonded. However, if an unbonded unicorn dies to a paragon wisp, it's really no big deal to go get another one.

If you have a pair of bonded unicorns or nightmares, take them to kill ogre lords. Or if you have just one that's bonded, kill ogre lords with it and cast an EV to help. You'll get decent vet/lore gains and can build up some honor and make some gold at the same time. And it's a heck of a lot less boring than just standing and having two pets fight each other and keep vetting them, wondering the whole time whether someone's going to come along and report you for doing stuff in-game while being unattended.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doing that in Felucca may work as well without being in a guild.
Besides that - invest 25k for a temporary guild with only you in ...

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK folks I have read the forums on Vet gains and the problem is that I'm not in a guild.. So how would one gain in Vet doing it solo??? I mean It only took me 5 1/2 months to get Taming to 101.3 that's working an hour or two every other day.. Just want to take a short cut on the Vet.. I'm currently at 66.3 Vet..
You don't need to be guilded to train vet :)

I've always trained the same way - grab bandages and my pet of choice and go out hunting. I pick a monster that will provide my pet with a challenge (thus requiring me to vet steadily) while also giving the pet gains. Then you'll be able to collect the gold to pay for your bandage supply, and both you and your pets will get good gains.

Tina's suggestions are good too, I've often had either a pack critter or a "stunt bear" that followed me around a spawn killing my tames for me.

Wenchy

B

Banner

Thank you all for your help.. I will try them all. I have a Uni and a Frinz Osi.. I have been using the Osi to kill Gamans after I tame them then collect the hides for my Tailor.. I just seems to put me to sleep though. :sleep2: I will tame another Uni and try the Ogre Lords That sound like fun.. I'll try not to fall asleep doing that...

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just took my fresh tamed Cu Sidhe on a fresh trained Elf tamer char and reached in approx. one hour 82.5 Vet (started with around 74), burned a lot of bandages.
(Could not see the bulls any more, which I had killed before with a normal beetle, which I vetted during that process with good gains.)
*Salute*
Olahorand