• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vet a must or can I live with greater heal?

M

MrMiagi

GM vet vs greater heal from a mage with 109 magery and 115 eval, with 2fc/6fcr can I heal the pet with magery just as fast as I could with vet?

How much does a bandage generally heal for at GM vet anyway? I take it animal lore makes a difference, if so, include GM animal lore into that also.

G

You can find out what vetting can do at different skill levels using this calculator .

I've used magery on top of vet, but I would never drop vet for just mage heals. Some pets and hunt spots would still be ok if you just cast heal, but I wouldn't like that restriction. You also can't res a pet with magery which is a big disadvantage if you like more risky hunts, or have a pack where the little guys will die more often

Vet has a 2 sec timer on it.

Wenchy

K

Kurgan

Besides getting off heals fast. You also get more stable slots..
120 in all 3 skills = 14 stabel slots..
A must in my eyes..

I went this way with my templet..

Legendary: Veterinary 120
Legendary: Animal Lore 120
Legendary: Animal Taming 120
Elder: Musicianship 115
Elder: Peacemaking 115
Grandmaster: Magery 104.5 (Going for 110)

I

imported_Sarphus

You can get away without vet on some templates.

I generally perfer templates that have vet.

I

imported_Leto

I run my main tamer without vet. It takes a little adjustment but it works really well for me and freed up skillpoints so I could add Spellweaving.
Main thing you gotta keep in mind is: A tamer with vet and magery can out-heal the damage coursed by pretty much any creature in game. If you go with just magery you have to be much more carefull. Having pets with good resists helps a lot though.

F

frodofeet

Another small consideration is what you intend to do with your pet(s), for example, high level T-Maps or Champs would be extremely difficult without vet. But in contrast, if you were only going to use say a Cu or Hiryu on 'normal' spawn like Dragons, Blood Eles, etc then you probably don't need vet because they won't really take much damage.

Imho though I think vet is a must for any Tamer Template, for the reasons already mentioned above. Tamer templates are very versatile, with only 3 required skills (tame/lore/vet), it leaves space for any other 3/4 GM+ skills, so it's not like you have to drop vet to make room for something else.

G

Eval won't matter for gheal, magery is all you need for that (more magery, the better). eval be if you want to do damage with spells for whatever your purpose is
. main thing you need if you rely on magery is to sustain your mana somehow, through med, focus, MR items, etc.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Nothing like being able to vet your pet if it is attacked by another tamer in pvp as well. Most pvp tamers don't have vet. Being able to heal your pet while you pummel theirs to hamburger, or keep yourself alive, is a great advantage.

I

imported_Tina Small

I cannot find this information posted anywhere, but I believe that when you let someone else rez your pet, the pet will be rezzed with a 0.2 loss in each skill. However, if you rez the pet yourself, it will be rezzed with a 0.1 loss in each skill. (This assumes you didn't run into one of those annoying situations where pet dies while you're vetting like a fiend and it actually rezzes and then dies a second death immediately.)

That extra 0.1 loss in each skill for every death may not be enough for you to decide to invest in Veterinary skill if you don't think your pet will die a lot. However, if your pet's skills will be one of the main reasons you are going to be using it (versus just using it as a meat-shield because of its high hit points) and you anticipate a fair number of deaths, you will want to consider how much extra time you're going to have to spend retraining all those lost skill points because you will be having other people rez your pet. Also, and I'm sure you have already thought about this, depending on which shard you play and when you play, finding someone to rez a pet can become a frustrating and time-consuming experience.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

I cannot find this information posted anywhere, but I believe that when you let someone else rez your pet, the pet will be rezzed with a 0.2 loss in each skill.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this used to be the case at one point, but no longer is. Of course, I've never let anyone else rez my pets, so I don't know for sure...

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I cannot find this information posted anywhere, but I believe that when you let someone else rez your pet, the pet will be rezzed with a 0.2 loss in each skill.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this used to be the case at one point, but no longer is. Of course, I've never let anyone else rez my pets, so I don't know for sure...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you are incorrect, it is still the case.

I

imported_Leto

Nah it isn't. Go test it yourself.

Like I said in my earlier post: I actually run my main tamer without vet. While my pets don't die that often, when they do they get ressurected by somebody other then their master and still don't loose any more then 0.1 in skills.

K

Kurgan

True about the Vetting. But I like it for the extra stable slots..

Egg's

Hatched

Adults

MadTexan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

No, you are incorrect, it is still the case.

[/ QUOTE ] It matters not who rezzes the pet, the penalty is the same (-.1 to all skills)

I

imported_Hinotori

They took out the .2 loss from other rezing your pets a long time ago. It's a flat .1 loss in all skills if the pet is rezed.