• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Version 2 - Enhanced Client - Early Classic Client Music Addon for Pinco's UI

A Thought Elemental

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Download location: https://rapidshare.com/files/2728103862/EC-Classic-Music-V2.zip

Version 2 - Enhanced Client - Early Classic Client Music Addon for Pinco's UI

Publish for Pinco's UI Version 5.2d, EC Playsound version 1.5, assembled
by "A Thought Elemental" from the UO Stratics forums, February 9, 2012

This addon causes the Enhanced Client version of Ultima Online to play a recreation
of the music which the Classic Client utilized from 1997 until a few years after.

- - Repairs the situation with EC Playsound's fade-in (which was destroying the beginnings of the version 1's classic MP3s)
- - All .mp3s remastered as VBR4 (145 - 185 kbps) (I found lower bitrates to damage the clarity of some of the selections).
- - Musical selections are followed by several minutes of silence (no constant loop)
- - Wilderness music now expanded to 10 tracks
- - Some of the post-1997 towns have had classic music selected for them: Luna, Umbra, Delucia, Papua, Royal City.

With this addon, you will hear:

Stones as the login screen music,
The classic zone cities' (Britain, etc) music as it was,
Various other music (forest/wandering music, and more) similar to how it was.

Depending upon how you install it, you can cause the War-mode music to never play,
and you can choose to include or exclude the other music that was included with Pinco's
UI. Instructions on the 2 installation methods are in a separate file within the zipfile.

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ultima Online (as of its 1997 music version) had a rich history surrounding its music.
The musical themes within that version of the client date back to the Ultima series,
which predates Ultima Online. This music was included with the first release versions
of the Ultima Online "Classic Client", and then was replaced some years later with
different music. The "Enhanced Client" never had this early version music.

I have had a great appreciation for this early version music since I first heard it in 1998.
Back then, I even created several MP3s utilizing a professional-quality soundfont
for my own personal, out-of-game listening.

I was disappointed when I logged into Ultima Online in 2006 and found that the music had
vanished from the game. I could not understand who thought it was a good idea
to strip that amazing music out. After all, it could have been realized with a great soundfont
(the way I had years before) and shipped in whatever format the more modern client needed
(instead of old midi, of course). So each time I logged in, I missed hearing Stones, and
the wilderness music, and Trinsic, and... all of it.

Jump forward quite a few years.

On March 5th, 2011, professional sound designer Scott Lee
(Scott Lee | LinkedIn) released a realization of the
1997-era Ultima Online music. Part of his original description is below:

Quote:

In 1997 Ultima Online was released by Orgins, the original development team of the series.
Much like the past games, Ultima Online's soundtrack shared the musical history of the original
Ultima games that came before. The songs were MIDI based, not mp3ed so in order to hear
the music you would need a soundblaster or wavetable midi softsynth supported card.

What happened to the real original music? I work as a sound designer, audio director, song
composer for many many AAA video game companies over the last 17 years (composing
soundtracks to many games you guys have played). When EA picked up the intellectual property
known as Ultima, they ended up hiring a new team to work on the development. As I have seen
this before in my line of work, the new designer didn't seem connected to Ultimas long history of
audio and well, decimated the soundtrack. Imagine watching Starwars and waiting for the Darth
Vader theme to kick in, only to hear something else overdubbed. It just wouldn't sit right!

...This is my contribution to the restoration of the greatest time period in UO history! These are all
the bit perfect original midi songs I had from day one of UO back in 1997 redone using modern
hardware. YES Stones is in, Britains theme, all the towns travel music, etc. Its everything as it was
on release day!
The release location for that project is here: Original MP3 Download

Jump forward 7 months.

I was searching for some of the original game's midi files and stumbled upon the Scott Lee MP3
release. I listened to it - all of it - and found it to be more than just a high quality realization of the original
UO midis. A musical interpretation had been applied to some of the instrument selections as well as
what sounded like some clean-up work. The result was a high quality version of the original music
which was sensitive, and stayed true to the music while having a unique sort of sound. The sound was
in most cases lighter than the first 1997 producer's was. All in all it was a superb, quality realization.

Jump forward 2 more weeks.

November 22, 2011, Pinco's UI (an addon for Ultima Online's "Enhanced Client") version 5.1 was
released. One of the new features was that Pinco's EC Playsound executable had been expanded
to be able to play custom game music. Before this, it had been impossible to link custom music
into the Enhanced Client.

Nov 23 2011 - -Version 1 of this music mod pack

Feb 9 2012 - - Version 2 released, primarily to resolve compatibility issues caused by the later version EC Playsound but also has improvements.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
very cool just downloaded and listening to them! brings back a lot of memories

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't heard those particular classic music arrangements before. They are really really pretty and interesting.

LordHogFred

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I would love to get hold of this. Does anyone have the music they would be kind enough to upload somewhere? I can't find a working link anywhere :(