• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Venting frustration and disappointment

Seelendolch

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hello there, so I have been playing for nearly 2 weeks so far, and for the most part I am really getting into the game and having lots of fun, and last weekend I saw on the town crier in britain that a special event was coming up, and got very very excited, I have a friend that played uo about 13 years ago and he came back to see the new expansion coming out, well he told me about all the events he used to go to and how much fun they were. So now this is really really hyped up, and I couldn't wait to go along. So, finally, the time comes, just managed to get home from work in time to go along. The community is great, people asking me if im new, someone added me to a group and said they would help me out and stuff. Great! we get in, start killing a few things, feeling like a part of the team, even though i dont have any skills to gm level yet, awesome! then theres a puzzle to figure out - more.awesomeness. then, when we go through the next room, you cant use magic (or at least magery, dont know about the rest). so, after all the kindness and welcoming community (both here and on oceania) i am completely useless. I cant damage things, nor heal, i have no pets, i have no melee, no archer. I only really have 2 characters, partially built, both with magery. So whats the point? I am not comfortable with being carried/ not putting in my fair share of the work. I waited about 5 minutes or so, to see if people were going to be like "hey you have to do this certain mechanic to use magery" or whether me being there was completely unneccessary and unjustified. I started to feel guilty, like i was taking advantage of all these nice people by being there and doing nothing. So, I waited another minute, then realised that because i only had magery to offer, and that didnt work, that i may as well go. I was so excited for this event, and felt so depressed when i wished everyone a fun time and left. I feel like it would have been less depressing if i couldnt come because i was too new, or didnt have enough skills to gm or something, but being accepted by a group and feeling happy and excited one minute, only to feel utterly useless and depressed a minute later cause there was nothing i could do to help out... idk... i just feel horrible. Being useless, i felt bad and left. As a note to ea or broadsword or whoever, please either make a valid restriction ie "your account is too new", or "you are not skilled enough to take on these mighty villians" or something. I am not a very emotional person, but after these people waited for me to get there, helped me out, i felt like a right prick being there and not being able to help. I now have some mixed emotions when i think about playing this game, mainly negative at the moment. It is less cruel to disallow someone a thing, than to give them a taste and say, if you were a warrior instead of a mage you could have this. Maybe this is the norm, but i am new and havent had time to learn whats what with these sorts of things. Perhaps I am over reacting, idk, but i have to vent and get this off my chest, been thinking about it all day and i feel absolutely crushed. I might try playing for a bit tomorrow to see if i can have fun in this game again. If not, then broadsword, uo has lost a new player. How you going to keep running if you make people that come to the game feel alienated, useless and depressed?

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
no worries. no one thinks anything about it if you do to an event and can't do anything. heck there are people that show up at events all the time and do nothing but stand around.

there have been many times when i've attended an event on the wrong character. there was one event i attended on my mage only to see 'thou cannot cast in this town'. if the event you attended was 'the lost king', there were areas of the dungeon where you couldn't cast but as you went further into the dungeon magery worked just fine.

in my opinion, tamers, throwers, and archers are the best characters to take to events.

Lady Lavendar

Seasoned Veteran
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Hello. I would suggest if you feel that you haven't learned how to play yet, perhaps ask if any guilds are recruiting, join a guild, get some help , and just have fun. Everyone understands a new player can't do a lot. If you have even minimal magery you can heal with the simple heal spell and use magic arrow to attack. If you are a warrior with healing you can heal others with bandaids. I take new players out all the time and give them simple things to do to learn the game. We were all new once.

Seelendolch

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hey, thanks for the replies! I went to a mystery event they had on oceania last night and had a ball, an 'EM' was there, we all played hide and seek, i was the second person to find the EM twice (out of about 15 places), just using a moongate and clues to find them:) So, it looks like I will be here for a little while at least.

I started a tamer, and one of my friends did too, so we are roaming around levelling those in case of any more proper events :) I have 2x bake kitsune now, but none of them have bonded yet.... With a ring and bracelet my friend managed to get a dragon too, and I helped him to get a nightmare, so once I get a dragon we should be set to come along for the next event!!(even though we wont be doing max damage)