• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vendor Search Server Merge?

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
@Bleak @Kyronix

Did you guys jam all shards into one search database with the last maintenance? :( The smaller shards are taking as long as Atl for some pretty simple searches now (which used to return within seconds). Searches on Atlantic tend to timeout a LOT, and when they do work it takes 15+ seconds.

I'm not going to pretend to know your architecture, but have you considered mirroring your vendor database into something like Lucene? Vendor Search is probably one of the best quality of life and most used features you guys have added in a while - some love for it in regards to performance would be greatly appreciated. :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm with Uriah on this one.

I'm trying to price some stuff for sale (was going to put it into the Rares festival) on Atlantic, and couldn't get a result for anything there, just the "too vague" message - which makes searching difficult when you're using ALL of the words in the description of the item, other than its weight to narrow the search.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I keep getting "No Items Match your description" on ATL and on other shards stuff showing up on one Characters VS and nothing or a much shorter list showing up on a different character using the exact same search words.

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It constantly doesn't work and it is getting really annoying. Please fix it.

Love Less

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even at early times in the morning when few people are on it's hit and miss whether it works or not. As someone who runs a vendor house this is making it incredibly time consuming to check prices and I to would appreciate if this could be fixed.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Atlantic search is almost useless. Maybe like 1 in 20 works if that. Haven't had any issues on Legends though. Can you imagine if EJ really works? Will search be able to handle it? Will the "not enough memory" thing on launch get worse? Will the random disconnects people are having get worse? There seems to be an up tick in shard transfers getting stuck. A few of these things could be explained by the surge of people coming and going to Atlantic for the rares fest but I think this illustrates what could happen with just a minor increase in shard populations. Oi. I think some servers are already living on the edge.

TheWolf

Adventurer
vendor search is working as intended I believe.

type in exact name of what you want "too vague". type less and all kinds of items that you don't want pop up.

its another time sink feature, that ropes you into playing the game for 6 hours a day.

Tildi Daintree

Adventurer
vendor search is working as intended I believe.

type in exact name of what you want "too vague". type less and all kinds of items that you don't want pop up.

its another time sink feature, that ropes you into playing the game for 6 hours a day.
No, I am afraid it is not working right now. (Occasionally it does but 9 times out of 10 it fails)

How can typing "Spellbook" or "Runic Atlas" be too vague?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Adds to the complaint list.
The vendor search function is unusable.
@Mesanna @Kryonix PLEASE fix this issue ASAP.
Sorry that's @Kyronix he'll more likely see that but in all seriousness you moreoverly should be saying @Bleak since neither of the two you listed can do squat about this...

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It should be merged as in players being able to buy things from other shards. Because f*** everything being shipped to Atlantic.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yes ATL has always had poor search performance and timeouts - the main point of this thread is that shards with tiny player/vendor presence are now also timing out.

Just smells like Broadsword cutting corners and cheaping out making our QoL worse! Coincidence that it happened right after the warehouse maintenance? I think not...

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
vendor search is so broken right now with the too vague messages. for a while it was just when you searched for a text string, but its mod checks too. sure makes it tough to find basic stuff, everything from power scrolls to imbuing materials.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Vendor search has been broken for months. Always "too vague" after waiting for like 5 minutes. Apparently nobody from Broadsword cares. Made me stop the thing I liked to do most in game and now my account plays the 90 day limbo *shrugs* I second the guy who ends his posts with "it's amateur hour in Bonnie's house" ;)