• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vendor Search question

RhysAyer

Visitor
I feel like I'm missing something with the vendor search thing. Just about anything I put into it comes back as "too vague," even if it is the precise name of the item. I'm trying to find some PS, and I am totally unsuccessful at it. Any tips?

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a case where less is better. Try to search just one or two words that are fairly unique to the item you are searching for. When you put in the entire name, the system seems to look for absolutely everything with ANY of those words in its description........quickly overwhelming it.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
try doing a search like
120 Magery
110 Magery
do number first and then skill

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm almost tempted to say "Don't Search on Atlantic". But, you won't find them anywhere else, and that's the actual root of your issue.

I'm pretty sure, from doing searches on all shards when looking to complete certain collections, that Atlantic is the only shard that has that "too vague" issue, as the database software they set up for Vendor Search can't handle the vendor volume there. Since 99% of the stuff being sold on vendors is on Atlantic, and there's too many people going around cross-sharding events that decide to loot local vendors to take stuff back to Atlantic for resale (I was one of several that used to sell resources on my home shard, until we realized that all of our vendors were being emptied within 6 hours +/- of event time, and some of our crafted items from the same vendor with name tags showed up for sale on Atlantic the next day). It's been almost a decade since the last time I was able to find a PS for sale using vendors on any shard (that allows transfers) other than Atlantic

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I feel like I'm missing something with the vendor search thing. Just about anything I put into it comes back as "too vague," even if it is the precise name of the item. I'm trying to find some PS, and I am totally unsuccessful at it. Any tips?
Every half a year they pretend to do something they call "maintenance". It doesn't help at all for longer than 2 days, but it buys them another half a year of acting like nobody told them it's broken.

They don't even react to the half a dozen feedback threads on the official forums. Go figure :cool: Thanks for paying your subs though lol.

Reckless

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I honestly believe the vendor search issues we are having is due to the 3rd party websites being advertised on a daily base. I believe it is them using multiple bots to crash vendor search during peek hours of the day where people normally tend to need things from UO shop like pet bonds a very common item needed to bond a pets with the high increase of tamers and people wanting pets this gives the third party websites to make their own money on items like that. Now how do they make a profit? Dupes, we all know this was and probably still is a issue but they find ways to do this. You'll know if you have a dupe by simply trying to put it on a vendor and its a "non-vendor-able" item people have said they took care of this issue I believe not. Until something is done about those 3rd party websites this issue will continue so don't expect vendor search to ever work correctly I doubt anything will be done.