• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

vendor search on ATL is sooooo Painful!

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
why is the vendor search on ATL is sooooo Painful!
on any other shard in game, instant results.
ATL, grinds away for 2 minutes and comes back with "your search criteria is too vague'
well its not too vague, it worked on every other shard in the game just fine!

so broke.
so frustrating.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Shhh you'll anger it...then it'll stop working entirely...which it does multiple times per day as it is. As long as we keep sacrificing our sanity and firstborns to it, we shall be blessed with price checks and our merciful vendor search god won't crash the shard to punish us.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I start the search then tab to another toon playing on LS. Tab back in a while and look at the search results. If it needs to increase the price parameter then I repeat. process. Sux.

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The inventory of Stuff that the game has to sort through, each time on ATL, is probably as big as all the other shards combined. More crap to sort through = longer.

I've found it helps to check as many boxes (cursed, Promotional token, +15 Discord) as you are able.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The inventory of Stuff that the game has to sort through, each time on ATL, is probably as big as all the other shards combined. More crap to sort through = longer.

I've found it helps to check as many boxes (cursed, Promotional token, +15 Discord) as you are able.
I have found just the opposite, the BROADER the search, they more likely to get a response other than "too vague" @Bleak FIX IT! As paying customers, we deserve better than this. You have had plenty of time. It's not like y'all have been busy working on new content!

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

It's just horrible design on the Dev's end. And they religiuously refuse to fix it. If people complain hard enough @Bleak will eventually throw some smoke and say he will performe some "maintenance" (which will help for about 3 days and keep 5 people subbed for another 3 months).

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Interesting, I wonder what the backing data store is. I hate when people backseat dev, but I mean pretty much any search platform these days leverages sharding. They should be able to horizontally scale to support quick queries on large datasets.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ugh this pains me to say. Because I am not a fan of them , used to be, but the spin and rulebreaking went too far for me.

Anyways I use VS on Atl and it for the MOST part it works . I do get the vague sometimes, which I thought (maybe wrong), that it was updating when I got that text. Why? Because in a little while, not so many minutes, it works again with the same search item name in the box.

Reactions: dvv

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Interesting, I wonder what the backing data store is. I hate when people backseat dev, but I mean pretty much any search platform these days leverages sharding. They should be able to horizontally scale to support quick queries on large datasets.
Word of the street is UO still uses flat files as storage. Bet this whole thing is just collapsing under tons of io load over thousands of small files. But who knows..

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Word of the street is UO still uses flat files as storage. Bet this whole thing is just collapsing under tons of io load over thousands of small files. But who knows..
Well, it's confirmed that that's how they started, 20+ years ago, but I've not seen anything to say how they're storing it these days.