• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vanguard Invasion another tamer event?

S

SDragor

Hi all,

I must say, I am a little disappointed by the Vanguard Invasion. It is basically a nice event, but it neglects a lot of players:

- Again, players with medium skills have no chance contributing anything to this event.
- Melee weapons are pretty useless against the interesting foes, like the Vanguards.
- Spells are ineffective against the hard monsters, too. Summons and area spells do not work in Cove.

The only players who seem to profit from the event, are tamers. You see tamers everywhere, with their greater dragons. Tamers even harrass other players if you disrupt their Dread Steed taming progress. Another nifty reward for tamers. (Ok, pets do not seem to be able to harm Shadow Iron Elementals, but on the other hand, those are no real threat anyway, and they have no interesting loot whatsoever.)

I somehow have the impression that tamers have become the favoured class in UO. Am I the only one who is wondering that?

P.S.: What about the Restless Souls? They attack you, but they don't do damage and they cannot be harmed. Is it a bug?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are sort of stuck in the middle. People don't want to them kill monsters and don't want them to PVP. Their pets are to be used solely for companionship and bank sitting.

S

SDragor

I just think that the hard monsters should not be resistant to all but tamed pets.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vanguards are definitely not resistant to everything except pets. I used my mage to bring down a few last weekend. Pets may be an easier way to kill things, but it is never the only way.

S

SDragor

How did you kill a Vanguard with a mage?
Flamestrike: 6 damage points
Ebolt: 2 damage points
Summons: impossible to cast
(with 110 Magery, 110 Eval Int, exceptional equipment and skills)

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not a tamer. I am, in fact, a Chiv-Swordsman; I've done OK so far.

Plenty of cool fights toe to toe with Vanguards. No, I can't solo one. Maybe other warriors can.

Me and another Chiv-Swordsman did cross-heal our way through the last third of one.

I've been having a decent amount of fun this event.

-Galen's player

H

HeathBar

You can cast summons and EQ at the docks but, of course that doesn't really help if the vanguards are elsewhere. I do feel bad for anyone who doesn't have a tamer for this event, mages especially seemed to have gotten the shaft.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I'm glad someone else finally noticed.

In the time I've been playing tamers have had (just out of the stuff thats worthwhile or once was):
unicorns
ki rin
firesteeds
giant beetles*
lesser hiryu
hiryu
rune beetles
bake kitsunes
fire beetles*
cu sidhe
reptalon**
greater dragons
dread war horses

*The beetles may not be specifically for tamers but as tamers are the only ones who can tame them their essentially another thing for them to sell.
**when it first came out and had nerve strike

& comparitively bards last added content was:
Enticement changed to discord

I don't consider slayer instruments a content addition as they don't allow you to do anything new just increase the chances nor replenish charges for the same reason. I suppose firehorns could be considered but imo their too weak/impractical to be anything but laughable compared to the amount unique additions tamers have had.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have no issue hitting these with my dexer with a 30 SSI 38 fireball 40 DI katanna.

Enough dmg to get looting rights each time and got a few shields so far.

Enough of the tamer whining. Man up and pick up a blade.

L

Lord Drakelord

You cannot cast EV in Cove.
you can on the city Docks, also you can summon earth ele's on the docks.

I been using a bard mage stealther, along with a peace tamer, in hopes of taming a dread.

I used the bard to stealth up on the Vangaurd and dismount it using a bola and then lure it away from the dread with the idea of logging in on the peace tamer to tame, but so far every time I arrived with the tamer it was already tamed or I end up helping others peace it as there is so many around it trying to tame, and if you step in with another newly arrived tamer, many look at you like "Hey I was here first" when it was I that dismount it and lure it off.

Once all the dreads are gone, I go play the bard and prov all the stuff to attack the Vangaurds.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, I have brought my tamer to the event, but mostly because taming is new to me and it makes for great practice.

The dread warhorse is hardly going to become a staple of the tamer's arsenal since they take up 3 control slots and have dismally bad fire resist, which is very important against anything that casts spells. In essence, that means that the 2 slotter pet, I'd probalby choose a bake kitsune, would have to be the tank against magic casters unless you're working with teams of tamers (one w/ GD, a second with mare/WH combo... or something like that). But overall, the DW is nice to have but not required taming like the greater dragon.

And in my time, the only skill that's even close to where it was when I first quit UO is bard skills, where there has been one change. Every other skill is vastly different than way back when.

Now, back to the event. I've seen warriors do well, but only working together. I've seen mages do well with summoning from the docks. I don't like that way since my mage is my preferred character, but it works. Archers do extremely well, especially when working with tamers. I've only seen one bard there, and he was disrupting the tamers with peacemaking spam more than anything else. I don't think he was there for the fight.

So overall, every offensive skill combination does very well. But all those skills work more than 100% better if you work in teams (including taming. I teamed up my bake with someone else's mare for a while and we did a lot of good work). So for those of us who are trying to play solo in the middle of a group, it's time to make some friends.

From what I've seen, it's also the tamers who work in groups who are getting most of the new pixel crack.

Hunter Moon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually I mostly see archers at the events in cove and Moonglow with Mystic or Vanq bows and I have seen a lot of people using the Beserkers Scyth in Moonglow (they do run by swackings on the demons) and the Vorpal Blade on the Vanquards. Thrown in has been a good amount of mages using EQ on the Demons and Mind Blast on the Vaguards so I don't know what shard your on, but the other classes are very well represented on Atlantic most of the time.

Hunter Moon [HOT] Atlantic

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I agree killing them isn't any issue imo on any type of char, my objection is just that it's ANOTHER pet, after the dragon, after the 2+ per expanision and the rest of us get very little by comparrison.

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sure am glad that the tamers get yet another new pet. They sure were neglected.

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Again, players with medium skills have no chance contributing anything to this event.
Since when have any events in UO catered to the less-than-GM characters? I have a just-barely-GM'd swords/chiv character who still can't hold her own in these battles, and yes I do unfortunately go solo since A) many other people seem to be able to, and I wanna do what the cool kids do, and B) I'm not in an active fighting guild and it's hard to just walk up to someone and say 'wanna team up?' because from what I've seen they'll just run away to take down the next foe. The only time I've seen teams on Chessy was for the Shadowlords in Moonglow and they disbanded as soon as it died - they just wanted looting rights. Medium-skill characters aren't good for anything on their own and no one wants them in groups because they're a "weakness". I used to like this game because I didn't think I had to GM anything in a set amount of time... I'm now learning that GM'ing is necessary if you want to participate in anything "big". Otherwise, you're stuck killing minor spawn in trammel while everyone else collects event rares.

- Melee weapons are pretty useless against the interesting foes, like the Vanguards.
Dunno for sure since I haven't stopped in, but I bet a good weapon and well-timed running passes would work pretty well. The run-hit-run tactic seems to work well for stuff that doesn't cast too hard, or stuff that you can get out of casting range fast enough (which you usually can on a mount). I've seen it used to solo fallen warriors and I get one-hitted by them. So it's probably HARDER than standing back and watching your dragon do it for you, but I bet it's more fun once you find a method that works... or at least more of an adventure.

The only players who seem to profit from the event, are tamers.
I hear this far too much... I have a tamer and she's totally useless ('cause she's not GM). :p SOME players will profit no matter what. Just because tamers get a new tame doesn't mean it's going to unbalance anything - if other people are right the warhorse looks cool but isn't the greatest tame out there and 3 control slots is a lot to pay for a horse with bad fire resist, imho. Sure, Tamers are getting some neat pixel crack but the heritage tokens gave the house decorators a lot of pixel crack and I don't hear any complaints about that!

K

Kayne

I went to the Cove invasion a couple of days ago. Can safely say my GM mage does very very little damage to vanguards. Lets not forget the no summons or area effect spells in a guardzone which all of cove is. Maybe i can summon on the docks but thats no use if im not near the docks.

Another let down on the event front. Moonglow was terrible and now this is too.

P

Phoenix

Really it would of been nice to see A mystic or scyth type book or flute or something else drop to balance out the field the way it seems to be going is if you dont have A tamer, warrior or archer your pretty much A second even third class citizen in uo after all if your not one of the above three it will eather take you 1-2 hours to kill what they do in minutes if you can at all and I really feel sorry for any newbe cant even enjoy what the devs seem to be offering.

L

Lord Kynd

i have yet to have a issue killing a restless soul, just war mode and attack. simple works everytime with my archer. but why ? they don't hurt you.

EV's there are a few places not guard zone if you walk around you'll notice the system message telling you you have left or entered. simple

dread mares, just kill them fast or yell guards :p if the tamers are being jerks. and most are being jerks right now.
personally, it attacks me, it die's... no amount of ..please don't i want to tame that.. BS will stop it. why do i want to help you rip someone off at bank for 2-5 mil for one ? charge 100k and i might hold my arrows back.
remember.. no creature is 'yours' to kill nor tame, the creatures are free for all, so get off your high horse.

the greed is sickening :(
ya'll couldn't even hook flutter up with one for free, thats sad.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been taking my archer to Europa Cove, and, whilst I've died a few times, I've done ok. The vanguards take some dropping, no matter what char you're on. I've been using night reaper for the demons and mischief maker for pretty much everything else and it seems to work just fine.

If you're not in an active guild, and you don't want to join one there's nothing stopping you from teaming up with others. If it's a problem on your shard, come on over to Europa. We, and our allies, attend most major events and have no bother at all about teaming up with anyone who's around. Neither do most other people. We're a friendly bunch here :D

HOLLYWOOD_Siege

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i play my Vamp dexxer whit macing and useing a diamond mace whit 25 ssi 40 hml 30 hsl 30 hdl and yes i solo them, in fact i soloed one in about 15 secounds criting for 120 per hit ppl didnt even get to attack it befour it was killed :D

E

Evilminion

And trust me when I say that most Devs/Programmers are nerds who dress funny and have NO social skills at all.
Eeeeeeeyah. You just keep telling yourself that, whilst I snuggle over here with my gorgeous, funny, considerate, romantic, brilliant -- and did I mention gorgeous? -- game programmer hubby.

Just because you may have met a programmer or two who fits your stereotype, that's no reason to go insulting the rest of 'em.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I have met programmers from Microsoft, Sun, Adobe, Corel, Cisco, Google, Citrix, Oracle, Novell, EA, Sony, Unix, Linux etc and in most cases they are just as I described.

It seems you are one of the lucky few, after all there is always the exception to the norm.

But the fact remains that the programmers for EA (or decision makers) have a pitiful track record for fixing bugs. For the longest time they were more concerned with the next release than they were with fixing in game issues.

Now I would applaud them for the crafting changes they just made, but the introduction of super dragons at the same time takes that applause away.

Here’s a thought: How about fixing most in game bugs and game imbalances before adding new content. Or does this just make sense to me? Heck, I’d even consider paying a one time fee of $10 bucks per account to have them fix bugs instead. But if this was the case I would want to see a list of bugs they were going to work on and their priority as well as a guarantee that they would actually fix the bugs.

E

Evilminion

Well I have met programmers from Microsoft, Sun, Adobe, Corel, Cisco, Google, Citrix, Oracle, Novell, EA, Sony, Unix, Linux etc and in most cases they are just as I described.

But it seems you are one of the lucky few, after all there is always the exception to the norm.
Again with the piffles. :p I've worked in the games industry for fifteen years (as a writer, not a dev), and the only difference between the majority of devs there and non-dev people elsewhere is that the devs are generally more fun to hang out with.

Do you see more jeans than ties when you walk through the halls? Of course you do. In this industry, when you come to work in a suit, everyone assumes you have a job interview. Does that make the devs poorly dressed? Only in the eyes of somebody who equates suits with success.

As for social ineptitude, again, I have to wonder what standard you're judging by. :rolleyes: Are there a few Asperger's cases in every game company? Sure, just like in any company of any sort you'll find a few people who can't quite get the hang of interpersonal communication. Are they the majority? Of course not. If you can't communicate extremely well with your teammates, subordinates, and colleagues above you on the corporate food chain, you can't effectively work on a game. These days, a "triple-A" title can involve more than a hundred people of assorted disciplines. Sad to say, the ones who have trouble communicating tend not to last long on a game team, unless they're so genius-brilliant that everyone just works around them. And it goes beyond day-to-day interaction; my hubby has spoken at industry trade shows in both the U.S. and Japan (in both languages), and let me tell you, if you can master acceptable social interaction in Japan, dealing with people in the States is a piece of cake.

And lastly, you say "nerdy" like it's a bad thing. :p Do game devs, in general, have a fancy for science fiction, fantasy, old music, new electronics, exotic forms of caffeine, and videogames? By and large, yes they do. :D And really, would you want anyone else trying to make a game?

M

MysticLlama

Back to the OP (and some of the folks who complain about mage damage), you CAN indeed damage the monsters on pure mages, necros, necro mages, necro warriors, and even regular melee fighters. Damage them enough to get looting rights, and a sword/shield.
And for a lot more than 6 points of damage. You just have to expand your use of the spellbook to more than flamestrike, ebolt, EV, invis, and greater heal. As opposed to warriors, mages even have the advantage of casting from a distance, and not having to follow the vanguard around when they teleport erratically when 20 people hit em at once.

E

Evilminion

NOW, on the subject of tamers and play balance, which I believe was the original subject of this thread, I have three primary characters, and I've found two of them to be fairly useful so far in this event. One of them is indeed my tamer/mage, although the "super" dragon I brought to Cove turned out not to be quite so super as I'd hoped; I didn't get looting rights on any of the three Vanguard that spawned. Had there been less people fighting three monsters, and thus more opportunity for sustained damage over a longer period of time, I'm sure this template would have yielded loot.

The other character who managed to stay alive and still do good damage is my paladin/ninja, armed as she was with a vanquishing katana from the Magincia event. The trick, as always, is to time your run-by attacks.

As for my warrior/mage, this is definitely not the event for her, heh. Can't summon EVs close enough to the fighting to really participate, and basic weapon damage without special attacks/buffs from the more modern skill types... well, let's just say it's not what it could be, heh.

Thank goodness we're not limited to one character on most shards! Seems to me that the best idea is to try all your different profiles and stick with the one that seems most useful for the current event. :D

K

Kratos Aurion

LOL, "have become"? WTH? They have been for years. Are you kidding? Really?...lol...la

considering that we only benefit as tamers by having pets while the tamer him/her self is usually fairly vulnerable.

not to mention the sheer time it takes to obtain good pets, let alone train a pet to be fight decently well.

I hate when people cry when they can't solo a "boss" portrayed figure.

If everyone honestly thinks tamers have it that great, make one your self. Put a little elbow grease and hard work into it and maybe you'll stop whining your self.

M

MysticLlama

If everyone honestly thinks tamers have it that great said:
Since you bring up elbow grease... there'd be a lot fewer tamers out there were it not for advanced tamer tokens and bird talismans/jewels. Although people would still complain about the tamers having the upper hand.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If everyone honestly thinks tamers have it that great, make one your self. Put a little elbow grease and hard work into it and maybe you'll stop whining your self.
Ummm, tamers type in a few macros.."all kill" "all follow"...and away they go. PvP, PvM...you pick it, they can dominate. As a thief, I can loot at the events...lol, that's it. Thanks for all the fun...la

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL, "have become"? WTH? They have been for years. Are you kidding? Really?...lol...la
Actually I totally disagree with this sentiment.

When UO came out, I was pretty much a Tank Mage on one character and a Tamer on another. I left UO about 8 months after Trammel came out.

I have been back for under 3 months now and I keep wondering what did the Tamers do to PO the UO Gods so much that they have been so greatly nerfed. It is unimaginable, by me, what has been done to the Tamers. Yah fine so walking around with a small Army of Dragons/Nightmares may have been over powering. But Greater Dragon? That takes all the control slots so you end up walking? And you are a solo act with that Greater Dragon. Sure it is nice but hardly anything to get ones underware all tied in knots over. I am not sure that a Pair of BK's might not be just as effective or a Nightmare + Dragon.

But the REAL nerf to Taming is the horrendous nerf to skill ups. I can not believe the devastation worked here vs the way it was in the Bad Old Days. Any concept of Risk vs Reward in the context of Tameing Skill ups is so far out whack that it is a joke

*Sigh* It isnt time for me to lay this complaint down yet as I am still way to new to THIS version of UO and need to just cool my jets while I get a better perspective of the BIG picture.

I will tell you this, the Tamer today is but a pale wispy image of the POWER of the Tamer when I left. They went way to far in the nerfing of the Tamer. My instincts tell me they did this because the Melee play style drove the nerf of the Tamer.

K

Kratos Aurion

Since you bring up elbow grease... there'd be a lot fewer tamers out there were it not for advanced tamer tokens and bird talismans/jewels. Although people would still complain about the tamers having the upper hand.
The advance token IMO was a fatal mistake for all skills.

IMO i think all tameables should be based off of real skill, not jewelry.

"Ummm, tamers type in a few macros.."all kill" "all follow"...and away they go. PvP, PvM...you pick it, they can dominate. As a thief, I can loot at the events...lol, that's it. Thanks for all the fun...la "

And what planet are you from?

My tamer uses a full macro'ed out mage list. heal, attack spells etc. Just like a mage but with the benefits of a pet.

Not only do I have to keep my self alive, I have to keep my pet alive and worry about spawn in a literal 360 degree dispersion.

Unlike the easy way out stealthers who only have to push space bar> hide >then never become revealed again while walking through countless spawn traffic and yes I do have a stealther with gm stealing.

J

Joyous2K

I got tuned up on my tamer this morning. I thought I would stroll out there before work with my 'mare. Get my tame on. Nope. Tuned up. Corpsed 3 times before I realized this was not a good morning for me.

BUt anyway. Yeah tamers rule dude! They can do anything a lousy player can do. Fight, defend, cast spells, heal itself. 7 X GM! It is great because I am not a big fan of the whackamole melee style that UO has. Also, I die more when I am the one fighting and that is really annoying also.

Tamers should rule the game. They have pets that are as competitive, or more so, than actual players.

I had a brainstorming session with a player yesterday... The result was that chiv/paladins need to be able to have hired employees bond. Stable them at an inn. All that jazz. Low chiv will get you loser thief or sailor, good chiv will get you a paladin. The weps and armor they spawn with are their desirable characteristics. NO taming, but you hire and then use some made up chiv spell on them to see if they will bond because you are so noble. Etc etc

It is too hard to create though with the current team though, so let's get more pets that can be sold to regular players!! Like a paladin can take a noble nelly or something and some loser newb can take something useful etc. More pets for the masses that hate tamers!!

R

RedDaTeef

Mages should get new stronger Summons-9th circle spells

Warriors seem to have it ok with power/vaq/mystics + EOO and other things

Bards should get like a Mystic lute or such.

Necros are ok cause they can be warriors or mages, maybe a new spell or two

But I agree enough is enough with new pets for tamers

Better everyone in the game become a tamer with the way it is going now.

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mindblast works just fine..

They have low cold resist. So mindblast does like 25-30 damage, and harm does 25+ damage as well..

You can't PvP in the Fel side cause its GZ, which is a buncha BS. But oh well.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

"considering that we only benefit as tamers by having pets while the tamer him/her self is usually fairly vulnerable."
No their not, you have 0 necessary suit requirements and can easily build full anything in to a tamer suit. If this wasn't the case then why are tamers pretty much the only template that can wear full luck suits? Since luck has existed I've only ever seen one person use luck on a different template (on atlantic - a dexxer).

"not to mention the sheer time it takes to obtain good pets, let alone train a pet to be fight decently well."
Well it's a good job you have such a wide choice then isn't it, 2+ added every expansion plus the latest 2. The training (much like the playing) requires almost no input either, stick it on a shadow ele and done.

"If everyone honestly thinks tamers have it that great, make one your self. Put a little elbow grease and hard work into it and maybe you'll stop whining your self."
They do have it that great, I absoloutely hate the class and I have a tamer. Why do I have a tamer if I hate them? Because their easy to play and because they have more new content than any other class hands down.

"Bards should get like a Mystic lute or such."
Bards should get a helluva lot more than a % success chance increase, we already have that. It doesn't remotely compare to the endless tamer additions this game has had and is still having.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I beg to differ.....during the moonglow event, the greaters had no advantage over my archer......
Also, I can see a tamer getting upset when someone's inconsiderate and interfering with their game play by attacking a creature they are trying to tame, that's just being ignorant......

Take it for what it's worth, it's just a game.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you see more jeans than ties when you walk through the halls? Of course you do.
It's not the Jeans, it's the Star Trek T-shirt that I'm talking about.

my hubby has spoken at industry trade shows in both the U.S. and Japan (in both languages), and let me tell you, if you can master acceptable social interaction in Japan, dealing with people in the States is a piece of cake.
I spent 16 days on business in Japan that included trips to the US Bases there, from Tokyo to Zama to Okinawa, but I don't speak the language.

And lastly, you say "nerdy" like it's a bad thing. :p Do game devs, in general, have a fancy for science fiction, fantasy, old music, new electronics, exotic forms of caffeine, and videogames? By and large, yes they do. :D And really, would you want anyone else trying to make a game?
Actualy no I wouldn't want anyone else to make the games.. but it does become annoying after 10 years of playing this game with the same crap happening.

Ever since AoS it was more important to release the next update that it was to fix content. EA would lie and say they were going to fix it in the next publish, then low and behold it would get pushed back because of the next release..

EA has historicaly:
Added content that no one asked for.
Made game changes that no one asked for.
Nerfed skills that no one asked for.
Made some skills godly, that no one asked for.

And with all the bugs and imbalances in the game they decide to include greater dragons? It is these types of decisions that make us all mad at the Devs and their bosses.

Couldn't your hubby had said, Gee Mr. Boss, Greater Dragons are a good idea, but we have these 400 bugs that we should fix first..

Or Gee Mr. Boss, Greater Dragons are a good idea, but they will imbalance PvP and PvM even more.

I don't want to get into a mage vs warrior vs tamer discussion.. but just about every class of warrior and tamer can do over 60 HP damage in one shot to someone or two hit kill them with an all 70's suit, yet a mage can't.

A mage will rarely ever do more than 38 damage with a flamestrike to someone with 70 fire resist. Yet even though with my suit that is 88 Phys, 86 Fire, 60 Cold, 78 Poison, 75 Energy, I get almost redlined by a greater dragon in one hit, and for that matter and archer with a crossbow does like 60-75 damage with a conc blow.

How is this fair?

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find it hilarious when people slam on tamers. Taming is THE most difficult skill in the game to raise. I can GM or better almost any skill in this game in days to weeks. I have been working on my tamer for 17 months and she is STILL not Legendary. I think it is justified that there be some perks for that kind of effort. And my guildmates will tell you I play my tamer a LOT, so it's not like she's not legendary for lack of effort. Secondly, as others have mentioned, there is a lot more to the template than "all kill". Mine is a mage tamer (also a peace/disco tamer on stones). I have a full array of magery spell macros to utilize. I don't have 2-3 buttons, but more like 20 macros to deal with. Tamers need to keep pets alive...if you think your G-drag walks into the glow event or the current invasion and massacres everything and then walks out with zero support or assistance by the tamer, you're delusional.

Someone mentioned that you have to find and tame good pets, then train them. This was met with the "big deal, you sick them on a shadow ele". First of all, GETTING great pets takes hours of time to get good pets to spawn and then taming them. Then you train. While that comment about the ele's is true, YOU stare at a computer screen for 20-30 hours while you do that, for ONE pet, and then talk to me about effort and committment. LOL. Besides, not everything can be raised on ele's like that. G-drags with higher skills often stop gaining on ele's, then you need to find help to get them discoed (and have that friend stay around with you so you don't lose disco) or you take the drag on endless hunts with swoops/sphinx to get the skills there.

Anyhow, it doesn't really matter. I have done the event on an archer, bard, tamer and mage, and had good luck with all of them. You can be effective with almost any template at this event with some effort, find what you have fun with and play it. But to call it a "tamer event" is silly at best.

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
honestly whats pissing me off right now are the tamers who are going in, using honor or etheral void and dismounting all the vanguards, then luring the horses away to tame, basicly leaving the only reward for the other tamers, warriors, mages, are the sheilds, swords and grey robes...im not a tamer, and i respect the tamers that do come in and help with the spawns and then tame the horses..but the ones going in on a dismount frenzy then taming frenzy then leaving the rest of the spawn alone while they sit at the bank tryin to sell the horses, thats another story!!, they reaally need to fix that dismount dreadhorse disapearing issue asap

Hunter Moon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been dismounting and taming than getting the horses to the stables because if the horse is tamed after killing the vanguard, 90% of the time the people kill the horse no matter that we want to tame it. After I stable I log in my archer and come back and kill off all the spawn. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to kill the spawn afterwards. You can get swords and shields off the vanguards and threads off the wisps... and the rest is just fun.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been dismounting and taming than getting the horses to the stables because if the horse is tamed after killing the vanguard, 90% of the time the people kill the horse no matter that we want to tame it. After I stable I log in my archer and come back and kill off all the spawn. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to kill the spawn afterwards. You can get swords and shields off the vanguards and threads off the wisps... and the rest is just fun.

EXACTLY. I have done essentially the same thing. I have been doing the honor thing because if I don't, the horses get killed. Period. However, after I GIVE the horse to a guildie or friend (I haven't sold a single horse), I immediately come back with my drag to clean up the spawn. As far as the honor tame, oh well. That is another of MY rewards for hours spent killing succubus so I could get high honor to do things like that.

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
on my shard, the tamers and others are mostly working together now..we kill the vanguards, we help them as much as we can to tame the horses. most will ofer to tame you one later...its karma..i have very high honor aswell and when i see the same person doing that action on my shard over n over..well now im using my honor to follow them and take out the horses...karma is a ^5$^ and people have to work together eventually or noone's gunna be happy, im not saying im wandering around killing every horse..or every horse someone dismounts...but if i notice the same guy doing it over and over and selling them...sorry, im smoking them the second ya dismount, and i think everyone should start doing the same till its fixed....thats just my opinion

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that the reason most people complain about tamers at events is because they historicaly have been able to deal the most damage per hit.

I have had many times where I didn't get looting rights because the Drag or Wyrm killed the monster too fast.

I would be ok with pets being that strong but then the tamer should have to have the following skills at 120:
Taming to tame the beast,
Animal Lore to understand the beat you are taming
Vet to be the only way to heal or res the beast
Peacing to actualy let you get close to the beast to tame it.
Thats 480 points, which leaves you 220 points for other skills.

This is no different than any other template:
Magery Med Eval Inscribe Wrestle Magic Resist
Swords Tactics Anatomy Healing Parry
Archery Tactics Buchido Healing Anatomy

E

Evilminion

Couldn't your hubby had said, Gee Mr. Boss, Greater Dragons are a good idea, but we have these 400 bugs that we should fix first..
Heh, I never said we worked for THIS game company. ;)

Nor did I say that you're wrong to want game bugs and imbalance issues addressed. I simply disagree with, and disapprove of, your global slam on game developers. They're good peeps.

Now a question for anyone who HAS been playing a tamer in this event: have you had any trouble with your pet just ignoring the vanguard controller you asked it to fight -- despite making a sound of assent -- and targeting something nearby instead? Alternately, has anyone seen a super dragon beating on a vanguard controller and doing absolutely no damage whatsoever? I'm not sure which of these is the problem, frankly, but I'm leaning towards the latter; it's not like I'm seeing anything nearby being damaged either. After nearly twenty minutes of trying to keep my dragon alive and watching it do nada to the enemy, I kind of gave up and went back to farming fan dancers...

R

RedDaTeef

Tamers Are Just Over Powered Plian And Simple. Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers Nerf Tamers