• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Valorite Elemental - armor disentigrating ability

G

Quick question - does anyone know if your armor needs to be badly damaged to disappear, or can your armor disappear when it is at max durability?

Just wondering if the whole armor disappearing thing can be avoided at all

Thanks!
(miner is a lumberjack, so archery is out of the question for me)

J

Jhym

Do you have any magery? I just use mage-bows on my miner and do fine.

You do need to watch your armor closely if you melee them, I'd use junk armor that gives you good resists and not hi-end stuff.

Or use mage bows

L

Lilac Crypt

I believe they took that armor destroying factor away from ore elementals. (It actually was a property that belonged to verite eles, but since valorites get ALL the cool stuff that the others can do.. it got that one too.)

My smith battles valorite eles often, and with no noticeable loss of armor functionality.

G

I believe you must just be lucky... or my miner needs a little more training in her melee skills! I lost 2 pairs of + 5 mining gloves and some arms (some junk I had in a loot box at the house). I am glad I didn't wear anything worth a darn

I would do the mage bow, but I dont use magery. I use Chivalry so I can Enemy of One the elementals, and Sacred Journey if need be.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They were SUPPOSED to take that ability from Valorite (and Verite) elementals, but it still happens - ESPECIALLY to mining gloves (lost 2 pair that way between 2003 and 2006, before I switched to a 70s resist medable suit).

Sorta like how skele dragons aren't supposed to make pets go wild anymore, but sometimes still do.

I think that the way the spaghetti code that is UO is set up, when they change the code for a pre-AOS creature, they don't modify it as much as patch in a new version without removing the old version. Sometimes the server doesn't acknowledge the directive to use the new version and gives you the old one. Which, at least in the case of Treasure Hunting, this kept certain maps viable when the change to the "normal" dread spiders to turn them into death machines didn't effect the T-map dreads (I've not done one of those maps with the spiders to see what effect - if any - that the later depowering of the normal dread spiders may have had on the map ones).

J

Jhym

I've had several of their abilities fire off just as I killed them, almost like a "throw the kitchen sink at you" type reaction. Which is why I switched to mage bows and just keep my distance.

I suspect they didn't remove the abilities but made them far less likely (from 1% to say .001%.) Or else they thought they commented it out but it is still getting connected by some other script.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm I thought the disintegrating ability was removed too. It's rather unsettling to think that some of my armor or weapon may be destroyed, especially when I've used my personal bless deed on it. I'm going to rethink the amor I use just to be on the safe side. On a side note, the elementals do have a gas attack right before they die. I think that's a separate ability if I'm not mistaken.