• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Using pet pens in a house a bannable offense?

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are trapping animals in your house solely for the purpose of skillgain and the animals have no way to escape, then yes it is a bannable offense. I forget which dev said it but it was posted here a while back. Also know people who have been actioned for it.

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it is. Especially if you use it to macro vet, provocation etc. I don't think you will be banned instantly if you put a rabbit in a pen for a RP event for 30 minutes.

This has been illegal for a very long time.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are using them to gain skill you better answer if messaged, otherwise I think boats are ok. The only issue was people using trapped animals to macro unattended.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can understand the logic behind it, but honestly, I don't agree with the policy. As long as you're not unattended macroing I don't see why it should be illegal to make up two pens to hold animals apart if I want to use them to train.

P

packrat

I paged a GM about a year ago and was told it was illegal for provocation. I paged a few weeks later and asked about dico and said it was legal.. so make your own decision...

He didnt use the word legal, he said acceptable.

F

Fayled Dhreams

just curious....this never used to be

anyone know???
STILL in the KB
QUESTION
Can I keep my pets in my house?

Answer
You can leave pets in your house, but if they are not "refreshed" by being targeted or damaged, they will disappear. If you have a pet you would like to keep, seek out a stable master or animal trainer and stable the pet. All animals and creatures are subject to decay, even pets. To prevent a pet from decaying, it must take damage or be targeted periodically. If a creature is not targeted, or takes no damage, for approximately 2 hours (the amount of time can vary), the creature will decay and disappear. You can target your pet using a skill such as Animal Lore, Anatomy, or Evaluate Intelligence.

It is not legal to block NPC's or monsters with objects. The deliberate blocking of monsters or NPC’s with objects such as boats, crates, house tiles, invisible pets or invisible players with the intent to gain an unfair advantage, like skill gain or monster killing is considered an exploit and can result in account penalties. This also applies to “animal pens” or “Safe areas” in the game world. If the animal/monster cannot damage you, then you are abusing the system and will be asked to stop.

However there are times in which we will allow this. If your home is set up to be a stable, or you are showing off various animals of Britannia and these animals are not being used to gain skill, attack other players (in Trammel), or provide any unfair advantage to you or others then it is ok to leave your pets/animals in your home. However, please be aware that a Game Master may remove any wild pets if those pets are found providing an unfair advantage to other players or are causing an issue with the game in that area. These decisions are made on a case by case basis and players should follow the decision made at the time.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol while doing a idoc run in felluca on europa i came across an olde style tower near the roadside too with lets say over 50 animals running riot in it....LoL.... i would have paged a gm but hey i dont want to waste 2 hours of my time with a canned response.. crazy skill gain scripter i guess???

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Me I like to tame different animals and put them in the Dead Zones in the walls of my Keep.....They usually vanish after a few days though :-(

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
on this note is it illegal to kill things like paras that are stuck behind a rock or something in the landscape?

and from that is it illegal to walk away ya your killing? ie if ya stood somewere and things keep attacking you and your char kills them while ya nip to the loo!!?

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was once training disco on a couple penned, non-agro animals in my house, a GM showed up, told me it was illegal and then ban the house owner acct for 24 hours. So I would have to say yup, or at a minimum, it is a roll of the dice and depends on what "rule" book the GM is using that day.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The rule is fairly simple...

If you're using it to gain skill, illegal.
If you're displaying tamed pets, legal.
If you're using it display untamed/released pets, not illegal, but pets may be removed.

The key here is simple: Are you gaining skill? If yes: bad. If no: basically fine.

V

Vyrquenox

just curious....this never used to be

anyone know???
STILL in the KB
QUESTION
Can I keep my pets in my house?

Answer
You can leave pets in your house, but if they are not "refreshed" by being targeted or damaged, they will disappear. If you have a pet you would like to keep, seek out a stable master or animal trainer and stable the pet. All animals and creatures are subject to decay, even pets. To prevent a pet from decaying, it must take damage or be targeted periodically. If a creature is not targeted, or takes no damage, for approximately 2 hours (the amount of time can vary), the creature will decay and disappear. You can target your pet using a skill such as Animal Lore, Anatomy, or Evaluate Intelligence.

It is not legal to block NPC's or monsters with objects. The deliberate blocking of monsters or NPC’s with objects such as boats, crates, house tiles, invisible pets or invisible players with the intent to gain an unfair advantage, like skill gain or monster killing is considered an exploit and can result in account penalties. This also applies to “animal pens” or “Safe areas” in the game world. If the animal/monster cannot damage you, then you are abusing the system and will be asked to stop.

However there are times in which we will allow this. If your home is set up to be a stable, or you are showing off various animals of Britannia and these animals are not being used to gain skill, attack other players (in Trammel), or provide any unfair advantage to you or others then it is ok to leave your pets/animals in your home. However, please be aware that a Game Master may remove any wild pets if those pets are found providing an unfair advantage to other players or are causing an issue with the game in that area. These decisions are made on a case by case basis and players should follow the decision made at the time.

For some reason I thought I'd throw in for anyone who doesn't know, loading up your blue beetle and logging out without being on it can result in no more blue beetle as well as just leaving it loaded down anywhere for a long time.

S

Sarphus

on this note is it illegal to kill things like paras that are stuck behind a rock or something in the landscape?

and from that is it illegal to walk away ya your killing? ie if ya stood somewere and things keep attacking you and your char kills them while ya nip to the loo!!?
Of course it is. The "technical" term for that is using a pathing exploit. It only works because the pathing for the monster is bugged and by definition is abusing an exploit.

That being said, I don't think I've ever seen pathing exploits actually enforced in UO even though devs have said many times that you're not allowed to do it.

L

Lord Kynd

If you are trapping animals in your house solely for the purpose of skillgain and the animals have no way to escape, then yes it is a bannable offense. I forget which dev said it but it was posted here a while back. Also know people who have been actioned for it.
yepperz, i remember this also.
most people that do this are generaly doing it away from where others might travel to and 90% of the time at the least are un-attended.

it's also considered griefing if you tame pets and leave them at another players house, fall's into the line's of lureing.. ( log in to find 20 greater dragons wild inside your tower, see how nice that is :p ) remember GM's can see who tamed the creature and released it.. last i knew anyhow.

L

Lord Kynd

where something spawns on it's own and where a player put's something are very different situations.
not even comparable.

L

Lord Kynd

Me I like to tame different animals and put them in the Dead Zones in the walls of my Keep.....They usually vanish after a few days though :-(

getting to these 'dead' zone's is done by a exploit.

R

Revenant2

in my meaningless opinion, building a pen for a pet and using it in whatever way you see fit should not be treated as illegal.

However, it is.

I know someone who was (temp) banned for working disco on penned pets in a house, so, hearing that a GM told someone that it was okay to work disco like this suggests to me that something may not be right with their GM support.

It makes me wonder if they are using a 2-tiered system and the 1st tier guys don't actually understand quite as much?

hm.

C

Ceridwen

Revenant,
Yes, the GMs sometimes say it's ok unless unattended and sometimes they say it's not ok in which form whatsoever.
A friend of mine (who left the game) used to train her disco char in her house. Once a GM came and asked if she was there or not - she was there so he didn't mind.
Plus I think they mind less if you just train disco and stand in the middle of the pets/pen.

From what I remember it was: If the pets can't attack you or eachother when provoked, illegal. Afk - illegal. Otherwise - ok.
But that's just what a friend told me a coupld years ago, could be wrong. *shrugs*
All I know is that disco and provocation are a pain to train, and are nearly impossible to get to legendary through normal game use (I just tend to get my GGS now, and that's it).

How is recalling onto a rune which was marked before the keep was there an exploit?....
That is at least the way I know how to get in, although I've never done it since I don't want to rip down my keep.
(yes, I also know another way, but not even thinking of using that)

Faith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol while doing a idoc run in felluca on europa i came across an olde style tower near the roadside too with lets say over 50 animals running riot in it....LoL.... i would have paged a gm but hey i dont want to waste 2 hours of my time with a canned response.. crazy skill gain scripter i guess???
LOL, that was me filling up my guildhouse with sheep for fun :D ROFL. It was near Spirituality shrine / Minax base right?

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I don't care either way, I do find it amusing that if it is being used for skill gain EVEN while attended it is illegal. Isn't there a way to macro most other skills in gain (casting abilities with lower reagent and macro- check, melee with golems - check, crafting with a big pile of resources - check)? I think this ruling is inconsistent.

Though considering that unattended macros aren't punished, I suspect no one will be punished for pet pens. I did the last few points of magery with an attended macro in the room right across from the unattended macro punishment room and didn't see anyone for two days.

From a historical note, I miss the days when people had balrons trapped in their houses. It was fun as a newbie to see "Collector of Souls" name pop up in the middle of some random jungle with its head poking through some large brick's roof.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i was told using the pet pens were only unallowed for skill gain if there was no recourse for the animals to take. IE: monsters provoked but unable to attack each other or you. or in the case of unattended macroing.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bah,

In one of my house I have created 2 Stalls (3rd Floor).

I use these to keep pets I can not fit in the Stable.

Most of the times this is Temporary as in I will put them in the pen and release them. Take something out of the Stables and do something with it. Go retame the MoB and stable it. On occasion, I have just swaped them. As as general rule the MoB will survive only 1 server reset and be cleared on the second one.

Funny Story, the other day I had tamed a fairly nice Greater Dragon. I didn't want to put it in the Stable as was looking to sell it/give it away. If I found a new home for it I would go retame it. Well it was the first and only time I have been killed in my own house :(

I just wasn't expecting the aggressive action and wasn't paying attention. I got my things, peaced the GD and tamed it. It ended up in the Stables when all was said and done.

I have kept Frenzieds and GD's there for several days.

I kept track of 3 Cu Sidhe's some one had released in the Physical stables at one of the stables. They were there for about 5 days then one day they just were not there. I am not an Elf so I could not tame them and I didnt feel like killing them. All were "Color" Cu's.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can understand the logic behind it, but honestly, I don't agree with the policy. As long as you're not unattended macroing I don't see why it should be illegal to make up two pens to hold animals apart if I want to use them to train.
I'd like to reverse my opinion on this. After explaining why it's illegal in another post, I now agree with the policy. It's really a dirty way to train now that I think about it. It's one thing to just stand in one place and mash a macro over and over again for something like hiding, but to train something like provoke or whatever by using caged animals, why even bother to play the game. A bit part of the game (at least for me) is to advance my characters as I go.

So, in summary, cage training = bad... (IMHO)

E

Eslake

EA staff have answered this question at least a dozen times in the past, and the answer has always been the same.

It is illegal to trap an animal in your home that is not tame, period.

Personally I don't see any reason for it to be illegal unless for skill gains or to harm other players somehow. I guess they just err on the side of suspicion.

M

monnie101

LOL, that was me filling up my guildhouse with sheep for fun :D ROFL. It was near Spirituality shrine / Minax base right?
OMGoooose! Careful court jester or you are going to be hanged fer yer pranks! You may think it funny, I may think it funny, your neighbors and guild may think it funny, virtually everyone may think it funny, but EA don't think it's funny. They may whip you for it.

Somebody call da law on dis feller here! :bowdown:

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it depends on what sorts of creatures, in fel it's not good cause they'll block, but if you're in tram and have a stealth herder it's a riot to get as many non argo pets into a friends house as a joke, but thats aside from the topic. I agree even though I hate training bard skill, it is against the rules to pen them for use to gain skill......go out and play, it's much more fun, and you really do gain at about the same rate, with the bonus of LOOTZ!!

Ori

A

Azazel of LA

I had someone tell me I would be banned for my stable too if there was a wild pet in it , the thing is that other people release horses and such there just for the hell of it (not to work skill gains). I put it there so when guests stop by to look at my house they can dismount their pet and walk through my house on foot. I think we need a reply from a member of the Dev team on this because I dont want to risk losing my Luna home over something this stupid.

T

The Home Guild

Exploit how?
you cast e field on yourself log out and back on and it drops you in the"dead" zone.People have known bout that for years.