• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Using Old Artifacts to Make New Ones?

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has already been talked about somewhere, but I thought it would be nice to bring up again.

Is there any chance we could get something made that would allow us to use older artifacts to make new ones? Kinda like taking the Nox Rangers Heavy Crossbow, adding some "ingredients" to make a new type of crossbow?

Artifacts that I'm speaking of include:
- Doom Artifacts
- Tokuno Artifacts
- Minor Artifacts (including ML drops)
- Plus any other I forgot to mention

Any thoughts on this?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Artifact recycling! I like the idea, not sure how to implement it though...

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well they would have to make the old artifacts drop again for a start, I think only a few of them actually drop still?
But I think anyone who has more than one of these has already dumped them in the trash for cleanup points by now.
No point making new out of old....just make better new ones.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This has already been talked about somewhere, but I thought it would be nice to bring up again.

Is there any chance we could get something made that would allow us to use older artifacts to make new ones? Kinda like taking the Nox Rangers Heavy Crossbow, adding some "ingredients" to make a new type of crossbow?

Artifacts that I'm speaking of include:
- Doom Artifacts
- Tokuno Artifacts
- Minor Artifacts (including ML drops)
- Plus any other I forgot to mention

Any thoughts on this?
There have been a few of these types of artifacts worked into the last couple publishes. Hopefully they will continue the trend of dropping recipe scrolls to do this.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I really liked the ToT event and also the one that ran in the old original dungeons. Had some fun times doing those! :D

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The minor artifacts still drops, just worth 100 points if trashed, too little. hopefully, they can be useful again !

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The minor artifacts still drops, just worth 100 points if trashed, too little. hopefully, they can be useful again !
These really need an upgrade, and using them as ingredients our cooler yet keys to item specific quests with potential buffed up reward versions of the same.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
These really need an upgrade, and using them as ingredients our cooler yet keys to item specific quests with potential buffed up reward versions of the same.
I always liked the armor set it's unique and nice looking however it sucks as armor... It needs some help

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
recipies for improving doom arties was good idea but would not be for all the minors. just be wasting all the devs time. also just too many around. just my opinion.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I believe that using the old artifacts to create new ones was a pretty useful model for Doom. They definitely need to extend this to drops from Peerless bosses and other areas of the game.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the DOOM revamp notes?
Artifacts – Doom Gauntlet – Ultima Online

That's artifact listing. Some of the other notes can be found in publishes section of UO wiki.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I believe that using the old artifacts to create new ones was a pretty useful model for Doom. They definitely need to extend this to drops from Peerless bosses and other areas of the game.

Artifacts – Doom Gauntlet – Ultima Online

That's artifact listing. Some of the other notes can be found in publishes section of UO wiki.
And ruin them too so no one can do them but a select few people????

Screw that.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
And ruin them too so no one can do them but a select few people????

Screw that.
And do what instead? Have Peerless bosses (and other encounters) drop a bunch of total crap that no one uses for anything other than clean up points? That's far worse. A team of 5 or 6 people can over run Lady Mel or Medusa in less than 10 minutes. Their difficulty and loot tables should all be upped.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have zero issue with artifacts being upgradeable via recipes, I think that's a great idea.

My concern is that the recipes, specifically those from Zippy and Doom rely on the RNG to acquire. Recipes from Zippy aren't too bad, though nobody seems to be doing that content anymore (likely because the quest chain forces you to redo the obnoxious war every time). Recipes from Doom are virtually unobtainable since the loot table is fairly large and the odds of a drop are still fairly low.

This has already artificially limited the number of people who can craft the enhanced artifacts, as evidenced by their scarcity. Adding recipes into the BOD system (as was done with the ToK drops) makes the most sense for crafters.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have zero issue with artifacts being upgradeable via recipes, I think that's a great idea.

My concern is that the recipes, specifically those from Zippy and Doom rely on the RNG to acquire. Recipes from Zippy aren't too bad, though nobody seems to be doing that content anymore (likely because the quest chain forces you to redo the obnoxious war every time). Recipes from Doom are virtually unobtainable since the loot table is fairly large and the odds of a drop are still fairly low.

This has already artificially limited the number of people who can craft the enhanced artifacts, as evidenced by their scarcity. Adding recipes into the BOD system (as was done with the ToK drops) makes the most sense for crafters.
But there are alot of crafters who utterly can't stand the mess that is BOD's. I would much rather fight for my rewards than collect 349587234908562034895723498502349857 BODS.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whenever I ask what you need to do 'doom' every single time the answer is a couple of sampires and a healer who does nothing but heal the sampires. To that end I have not even bothered doing Doom since it was 'revamped' (nerfed for all other classes). Now I am sure I will get the usual 'oh I solo it with xyz' or 'you can take in abc and it is easy' yadda yadda, however in real terms every single time I have asked various groups of people in game the above answer is what I have ALWAYS been given, so forum warriors don't bother telling me how 'anyone' can do it.

I just wish when they had revamped Doom they didnt destroy it as it seems they have. It used to be that any class could have a wail of a time there, now, well don't have a sampire then don't bother unless you want to be the complimentary healer. The reason people stopped doing doom was the artis were so shocking and random that people didnt want to spend hours and hours to get junk that noone wanted. All they had to do was actually put some good artis in there for people to 'desire' and left the AI of the dark father alone so that all classes could compete equally. As for the new 'recipe' drops and the dark father blood or whatever it is, they are scarce as hens teeth as far as drops go, then you need to have the 'other' old arti to actually craft the new thing. Yet again a highly convoluted system to actually 'obtain' something worth having.

I don't know why the devs have to spend so much time making people grind stuff to death, as someone said above, zippy and the other side, sheesh, I have done it TWICE, and that is enough, who the hell wants to do that pit war over and over each time just to then have to complete the rest of that obnoxious quest. On siege, the easy bit you get to 'buy' costs over 300k per and odds are the reward you get on the completion of the quest makes it not worth buying that piece to get into the boss, let alone having to kill all those serpents and krackens and crap. When the cost of the quest is more than any reward is worth, other than a moonstone crystal, which is the only thing people actually want, then it is a fail, as is Doom.

And then the epic fail called DESPISE revamp........... the list is growing of areas that used to be good and are now borked.

I don't want another system of using old artis to turn in for new ones. I would rather see just a plain work round of NEW artis, more in keeping with the newer loot table. For an ariti be successful it must have mods unobtainable by imbuing and with complimentary mods on a single piece. Phase out the old stuff and put in new. I love the peerless bosses, it is just that the loot needs upgrading, weapons/armor etc, the paroxy swampie, grizzled mare, hair dyes, crimmy etc are all fine, but the stuff you can craft with peerless ingredients needs a full overhaul.

I am sick of all the big boss fights being turned into epic HOURS of questing or gathering to just get in. Give us stuff that from start to finish takes 2 hrs max. Boss doesn't have to be 'easy' but getting to it should be. And make it so all templates have an equal chance of beating the boss.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Whenever I ask what you need to do 'doom' every single time the answer is a couple of sampires and a healer who does nothing but heal the sampires. To that end I have not even bothered doing Doom since it was 'revamped' (nerfed for all other classes). Now I am sure I will get the usual 'oh I solo it with xyz' or 'you can take in abc and it is easy' yadda yadda, however in real terms every single time I have asked various groups of people in game the above answer is what I have ALWAYS been given, so forum warriors don't bother telling me how 'anyone' can do it.

I just wish when they had revamped Doom they didnt destroy it as it seems they have. It used to be that any class could have a wail of a time there, now, well don't have a sampire then don't bother unless you want to be the complimentary healer. The reason people stopped doing doom was the artis were so shocking and random that people didnt want to spend hours and hours to get junk that noone wanted. All they had to do was actually put some good artis in there for people to 'desire' and left the AI of the dark father alone so that all classes could compete equally. As for the new 'recipe' drops and the dark father blood or whatever it is, they are scarce as hens teeth as far as drops go, then you need to have the 'other' old arti to actually craft the new thing. Yet again a highly convoluted system to actually 'obtain' something worth having.

I don't know why the devs have to spend so much time making people grind stuff to death, as someone said above, zippy and the other side, sheesh, I have done it TWICE, and that is enough, who the hell wants to do that pit war over and over each time just to then have to complete the rest of that obnoxious quest. On siege, the easy bit you get to 'buy' costs over 300k per and odds are the reward you get on the completion of the quest makes it not worth buying that piece to get into the boss, let alone having to kill all those serpents and krackens and crap. When the cost of the quest is more than any reward is worth, other than a moonstone crystal, which is the only thing people actually want, then it is a fail, as is Doom.

And then the epic fail called DESPISE revamp........... the list is growing of areas that used to be good and are now borked.

I don't want another system of using old artis to turn in for new ones. I would rather see just a plain work round of NEW artis, more in keeping with the newer loot table. For an ariti be successful it must have mods unobtainable by imbuing and with complimentary mods on a single piece. Phase out the old stuff and put in new. I love the peerless bosses, it is just that the loot needs upgrading, weapons/armor etc, the paroxy swampie, grizzled mare, hair dyes, crimmy etc are all fine, but the stuff you can craft with peerless ingredients needs a full overhaul.

I am sick of all the big boss fights being turned into epic HOURS of questing or gathering to just get in. Give us stuff that from start to finish takes 2 hrs max. Boss doesn't have to be 'easy' but getting to it should be. And make it so all templates have an equal chance of beating the boss.
I wish I could like this 1000X... it's about how I feel.... I don't have 24/7 to farm crap in game... I don't have uber geared out Sampires... I don't play Flavor of the Month with my templates... I just want to have so (*)&$()!& fun.... I don't want to grind all day for jack squat... I have little time to be in the game and spending it farming till my fingers bleed isn't something I care to do..... I don't like Panic games if I wanted that **** I'd do it.... I just want to relax with my friends and have a good time..... and a good time does NOT including grinding the same (#($&*( thing over and over and over and over ..... it doesn't including dying every 2 seconds and it sure as ($$&U(&$ doesn't include just doing the EM Event 1 hour once a week.... if that's all I'm to play then by gods what the hell am I paying a sub for a whole month of time when all there is is 4 hours of stuff to do that month?????

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Maybe one day the Devs will realise that having a huge grind-fest in free to play games works because they are free.... UO is not free and content has to be less grindy as not everyone has huge amounts of free time, also I am not a big fan of convoluted access quests, they very quickly become a chore. They need to start keeping things simple and fun!