• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Using Items for the block

P

PingThing

Greets, Question?
What are the rules conserning using Items(bagballs,vendors, candleabras) to block off whole sections of bases? I was under the impression that you had to leave at least a one tile path: that path could be fielded or trapped( this being the rule everywhere else, that you can not block off areas) But paging a GM , I get very conflicting answers on this? One Gm saids oh that Bad and removers the items , the next Saids Oh No it would be illegal any where but factions bases. Clearification Please And a place to have Gm's find this info?

Thanks
Ping

I

imported_Willow30

I have always been told that you must leave a path.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

It is illegal to place faction vendors in such a manner as to block entrance to any publicly accessible structures. You MUST leave a clear entrance to all buildings in the cities of Sosaria.

It is also illegal to "turret" guards, IE trapping them with vendors.

I've never heard of GM's removing vendors because they are blocking entrance to the base. It's a lame tactic, but I don't believe there is any explicit rule stating it an illegal act.

Yet another example of EA encouraging cheap tactics by not clearly stating and enforcing rules.

G

The confusion comes from a few different places. One is a lack of people playing factions so the GMs just don't deal with it anymore. The second are the rather "new" rules that you can block up any area in Felucca as long as you leave a one tile path.

Inside a faction base you are not required to leave a path. Any GM who tells you so is wrong (but you still better follow their directions and escalate to GM reviews) and there is probably not a single GM still working who knows this. If it isn't documented in their resources, then they would have to make new policy on it and who knows what it will be.

K

Kylas

A few corrections.

It is 100% legal to turret guards. It's been legal since day 1 of factions. (Yes I made turrets on day 1). Its always been legal.

ONLY new GM's unfamiliar with factions "unique" rule set incorrectly say otherwise.

I had this clarified by Gm Platinum and ever other head GM since.. If a GM tells you otherwise ask them to get on their GM Chat and check with the others.

Its legal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blocking public space is NOT legal. There must be a path.. It doesnt have to be a striaght line path.. Mazes are Ok.

Putting animals in the maze path isnt ok.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its OK to use vendors to BLOCK a base ONLY if the vendors are placed behind the blue line. If your blocking a single tile of publicly available space then your violating the rule mentioned above.

I tried very hard to get the dev's to put these rules down in writing. They will never do so. Why? Simple, it gives them the power to change the rules on a whim at any time based on their interpretation of the rules at that instant.

For Example,

I had a GM say he was going to ban me for blocking a stable entrance. Why? Well I was the sheriff and that meant I was responsible for the NPC's placed there by a "finance minister" 12 months previous.

No matter how much explaining I did I couldnt not convince this GM that the "sheriff" doesn't hire npcs. He manually deleted the NPC's and broke the database used to govern the npcs. It took years for the problem to be fixed.

GM's are human too (well if you ignore the scripts). Like most people they tend to dig in their heels instead of admitting their wrong or just uninformed. So keep that in mind. Be polite but get your screenshots, Also file another GM request that includes your log.

Explain its about a GM who doesnt understand the faction rule set.. then send off your email explaining what happened, why, and what the correct outcome should be. Your log will have your conversation with the GM so they can verify what you said and what the GM said.

Dig

P

PingThing

Thanks Loads for the responces.
So from what you all say...Any thing goes inside the bases? You can block off whole base withcandlebras or bagballs? Inside the base there is no Rules?
Thanks Ping

K

Kylas

<blockquote><hr>

Thanks Loads for the responces.
So from what you all say...Any thing goes inside the bases? You can block off whole base withcandlebras or bagballs? Inside the base there is no Rules?
Thanks Ping

[/ QUOTE ]

No rules.. Here is an old picture (3-4 years ago?..must be just after aos) Every tile of the base behind the blue line had a box, each box was trapped, locked and had 200+ ore.

Dig

G

Gilthas0130

yep blocking base(barracade) thats legal so is turrets.....
ohh hey dig i remeber that day lol that pic you showed lol was funfor BTH to try to remove....when ore boxes didn't decay....muhaha till the fix...

G

I might have been the one who invented the ore in a box tactic. I know I was the first one on Atlantic to come up with it and we tried it one time. Many faction tactics were invented on Atlantic and spread to other shards.

K

Kylas

Im sure the blocking methods came into being pretty much immediately. I know we turreted guards on day 2 of factions. I recall axed candle boxes where quickly there after.

Hidden barrel stacks.. you name it.

Dig

S

Sergul'zan_SP

<blockquote><hr>

It is 100% legal to turret guards. It's been legal since day 1 of factions. (Yes I made turrets on day 1). Its always been legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is then it's lame, and so is any player/faction that uses it. Fortunately, on every shard I've played on, the GM's remove it if you page.

K

Kylas

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is then it's lame, and so is any player/faction that uses it. Fortunately, on every shard I've played on, the GM's remove it if you page.

[/ QUOTE ]

It shouldn't be a problem anymore.. the faction guards have been total gimps since AOS came out. A 40 stack of guards can be killed by a single player in a few minutes without much work.

Dig

G

We usually play that you need to leave a path, but it's apparently been legal to completely block them for a long time.

G

Now that the holidays are over I will try to get some "official" answers soon. Realize there is still a move and some settling going on. It will take some time.

G

<blockquote><hr>

People on every shard make identical claims.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't say I invented blocking items, that was way to obvious. But buying up ore from vendors, crafting locked boxes, trapping them and filling them with ore, that is a pretty complex setup. I was the one who came up with it on Atlantic.

S

Sand Beagle

and no one has ever just thought about walking through those objects? its not that hard
, dont give up when somone tries to be funny and block the entire screen with objects, just *ghost* through them

K

Kylas

<blockquote><hr>

and no one has ever just thought about walking through those objects? its not that hard
, dont give up when somone tries to be funny and block the entire screen with objects, just *ghost* through them

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what faction traps are for. These setup's where never about preventing any access.

The served a few purposes. They force people logged out in base to go up or down but out of the sigil room. They game the defender time to get help if a snatch and grab assault came. They caused the enemy who wasnt committed to say "Screw that".

And best yet it made enemies forces greedy and they try to haul out a billion ore only to be caught in the open dragging a million pounds of rock.

Dig

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

Nice picture about Factions... no rules... no reason to play.
Locks on the gaming just ruins the game.
What were people thinking...this is not funny or fun. It looks like the
game is over with... time to remove Factions from the game.
Thank you for the evidence that Factions gaming should be pulled.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix