• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Uses for small blackrock pieces?

T

Trixrnt4kids

Are there any uses for the small blackrock pieces acquired when mining?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
black rock stew fore the bane dragons I believe

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
black rock stew fore the bane dragons I believe
Specifically, the version from the Ophidians, IIRC. You have to have 5000 Ophid loyalty to get that quest - if you've been actively fighting to defend towns from invasions (at least an hour per town, per invasion - or that many hours total from less fights), and never fought any of the things opposed to the bane, you should be in the 3000-10000 point range

T

Trixrnt4kids

Thank you both for the information. Now I'm off to get that recipe for my cook! Then maybe I'll try out a bane dragon .. picky eaters that they are.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
After getting the 5000 Ophid loyalty on my tamer, I got the recipe for my cook, and went out and finally tamed my first bane dragon (and with 0 eval, it was an adventure for a disco/provo bard/tamer).

BTW, you'll also need to get the "bowl of rotworm stew" recipe from the goblins, as the rotworm stew is one of the ingredients for the ophidian version of blackrock stew.

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A small piece of black rock is from mining and "ISNOT" the same black rock from the orphidians that "was" used to get soup [crystaline black rock]

Its the mined black rock or the black rock from the invasion.

Devs did say black rock that destroyed magencia will bee needed in the future to rebuild magencia

Thunderz

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A small piece of black rock is from mining and "ISNOT" the same black rock from the orphidians that "was" used to get soup [crystaline black rock]

Its the mined black rock or the black rock from the invasion.

Devs did say black rock that destroyed magencia will bee needed in the future to rebuild magencia

Thunderz

Too bad you're dead wrong, Thunderz.

The OPHIDIAN version of the Blackrock Stew quest uses the MINED version of small blackrock in a RECIPE that a COOK uses to make the stew with the skill.

It's the BANE CHOSEN version of Blackrock stew that requires the Crystalline Blackrock - and IIRC that isn't crafting, but a quest with a stew reward.

I've already MADE Blackrock stew with my cook in training, using Small Pieces of Blackrock.

G

Gowron

I'm not sure how valid this is, but supposedly having a piece of blackrock in your pack helps to be more effective in killing the dark wisps at the liche spawn in the abyss.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Gowron: the blackrock in your possession allows you to attack through the dark wisp shields as if the shields aren't there.

G

Gowron

Thanks for verifying that. I was told that, and I do carry one when I go.
That confirms an additional use for the blackrock that is mined.

Just a two cents input, I would like to see blackrock go back to infecting monsters. It was nice to have a pseudo paragon monster to fight that dropped a bit better loot.

S

Sevin0oo0

Gowron: the blackrock in your possession allows you to attack through the dark wisp shields as if the shields aren't there.
Adding, This includes the dark wisps in the wisp dungeon in Ilsh as well, Yea!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
part of the difficulty for making them stackable, is that for some reason, the devs made the small pieces spawn as multiple shapes - specifically, all the normal gem shapes, and all the shapes of the "rare" gems like the ones that came from the crimson dragons. As a result, there are something like 20-30 possible blackrock shapes, and you'd have to redefine them all to get them to stack (and that would not only be difficult, it would cause the rare collectors to go ballistic).

The best they could do easily would be to redefine the current drops, and only new ones would stack - but that would take about 10-20 man-hours from other projects to implement and test.

If you could mine with your cook, you could get all those pesky hiding blackrock pieces out of your pack by attempting to make stew when you got home after each mining trip. I wonder - can you cook using a fire beetle, like you can on a forge? I've not tried....