• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Usefullness of "Modern Weapon Properties"

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Post AoS (I forget how long ago), more weapon properties were added. Namely I am speaking of mana drain & hit fatigue (stamina drain). In another thread I discussed the stamina drain of some mastery skills & the conclusion was they were worthless against the paragons you really needed them to work against (namely paragon balrons and equivalent from the treasures events). So are there any events / mobs worth using mana drain or hit fatigue on and make a real difference? Maybe mondains legacy peerless?

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think those are most effective in PVP. I stay away from mana drain weapons for PVM because most creatures seem to be pretty unaffected by it. If someone finds it useful, I’d like to know on what encounters.

Hit fatigue I think is effective in PVM as well but I’m not entirely sure how much since I haven’t been using weapons with that on it in a while.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Personally I use Hit Fatigue for the likes of Clockwork Exodus, Scalis, Dragon Turtle, Rikktor and at the moment during the quiet hours, Krampus. Hit Mana Drain can be effective on the likes of the Shadowlords, Corgul, Shimmering Effusion, any powerful casters. For non boss mobs the properties are pretty useless as they are usually dead by the time they take effect.

In my opinion a small group will benefit most from those properties (1-3 players maybe at most) and can take a minute or two to make a noticeable difference (due to some high mana/stam pools) but the breathing space is very noticeable from there. With a larger group it's negligible as more than likely you will have a healer covering you.

Like many things in UO usefulness can be very subjective and will most likely be based on individual playstyle, gear, template, skill and group composition.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I would argue that Akiho's take is correct.

I'll also add that the closest things to universal usefulness in PvM are the older properties of Hit Mana Leach (keeps you doing specials), Hit Stamina Leach (keeps you swinging), and Hit Life Leach (keeps you alive). And even with those the applicability isn't truly universal.

There are two basic approaches. One is to try out stuff and see what appears to work for you. Two is to stick to what you know works for you in most instances and don't budge from that, merely try to always get higher numbers of whatever it is.

And of course you could always find two friends who exemplify each approach and use them as test subjects. I ran with someone periodically, back on LS, who used that approach. Great player.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll also add that the closest things to universal usefulness in PvM are the older properties of Hit Mana Leach (keeps you doing specials), Hit Stamina Leach (keeps you swinging), and Hit Life Leach (keeps you alive). And even with those the applicability isn't truly universal.
For some dungeon paragons, I've liked mana/life, for others I've liked stamina/life. It also depends on whether I was using a sampire or a thrower, and if I was solo on a quiet shard or part of a dozen people on Atlantic killing the same para balron. I've imbued so many different weapons for the dungeon events, which goes to show how imbuing was one of the best ideas in a long time.