• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Lumberjacking] update on my lumberjacking experience

S

shawnee6d

Hi all, hope everyone's having a great morning.
So awhile back I happily announced I'd fianlly made it to GM lumberjacking. However, finding the top three wood types with that character, an elf, was just shy of never happening. I'd chopped my way accross britania in fel and tramme only to find 2 heartwood tree's that quickly changed back to regular boards only.
Another character of mine was rapidly exhausting my supply of regular and oak boards in order to make it to GM carpenty. So using a sould stone, I moved the lumbering skill over to her, a female gargoyl I named after my wife (she then insisted the packy lama be named after me :( ... ah well). I then set her to chopping in ter mur in the safe areas arround the city, thinking I'd gather crystals and such whilst producing the boards she needed to improve her carbentry skills and maybe the constant change in location would help move things along a bit more (it didn;t really seem to, but made the endless making of wild staffs less boring).
Now maybe it was just random chance, or I dunno, but suprize of suprizes, I found first a frostwood tree, then a bloodwood, then a heartwood (on third harvest it changed back to regular). So how is it that easily 9 days, approcimately 6hours a day, of chopping with my elf all over tramell, fel, ilshanar, lost lands, etc produced no frostwood or bloodwood and maybe 200 heartwood and less than 3 hours of chopping, spaced with using up all of the regular boards along the way, produced 300 frostwood, 150 bloodwood (I think this looks the coolest), and maybe 100 heart wood or something like that?
I figure either the dev's made some minor adjustment to lumber resources (didn't read or see any announcement if they did) or chopping wiht an elf is not really the best idea, despite their supposedly being the best at spotting rare resources. For mining maybe, but for lumberjacking, my experience indicates definatley not. I'll have to switch to a human and see what that produces, but for now, I'm actually happy to have a bit of bloodwood and frostwood.

Incidently, I had bought a couple bulk deeds for heartwood from some random luna vender a while back. However, I begin to wonder how anyone could possibly scrape up more than 1k of the top three rare boards and be willing to sell them for less than several million? Even heartwood.

I'm ok with having them be so rare, as long as they are attainable enough to make cool bows with (having attained said amount, that is). But really, I think the dev's might want to ajust the scaresity just a little bit. SO that they end up acting like mining resources. Anywyas, talk to ya'll later,
Shawnee6d

S

Sir Kenga

How many crystal shards u got from chopping Ter Mur trees? Per hour.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Elves, humans and gargoyles have the EXACT SAME results, type-wise, from a resource square. Any belief that a tree currently giving only normal wood, will somehow give a different wood to an elf, was based on a misunderstanding of how the Elf bonus works (coinciding with the resource square undergoing a random shift between tests).

The differences lie in the AMOUNTS of resources they get from the square.

Lumberjacking:
Humans get 11 logs a swing (22 in Fel)
Elves only get 10 logs a swing, but when the resource square is potentially giving colored wood, the chance of the swing producing colored is 120% of the human chance.* Similar benefits apply to the special resources, and it also seems Elves get more swings on a tree than humans.

Mining:
Humans have a 10% chance of getting 1 extra ore, per tool swing (2 instead of 1; 3 instead of 2 in Fel).
Elves get 120% of the Human chance for colored ore, when present*, and a similar increase in chance for gems. They do not appear to get more swings per resource square when mining (perhaps because mining is such an unnatural act, compared to lumberjacking trees that can grow back).

* The OFFICIAL version of this is supposedly that humans have a 40% chance of getting colored resources on a given swing, provided the resource square can currently give colored resources, while an Elf gets a 20% bonus (either 60% total, or 48% (40% times 120%)). This has been proven to be false. Testing has proven that each resource square seems to have a set percentage (ranging from nearly zero, to at least as high as the 80s), for the percentage of ore that will be colored (if currently colored), and a separate number for the percentage of colored wood (which may or may not be the 40% the devs think exists - it may vary as wildly as the ore - but unlike ore, some current devs were present when colored wood was coded). Testing seems to indicate that, at least for ore, the 20% elf bonus gets applied to the individual site's chance for colored ore, so that if a spot would produce colored ore 60% of the time for a human or gargoyle, it would do so 72% of the time for an elf. IF that spot's percentage was only 20%, then the elf would only have a 24% chance. And, that while the percentage chance of colored ore is different from resource square to resource square, it stays the same for any given resource square, no matter what the current ore type is (so that if it was iron only at the time, using tools to get dull copper or shadow iron would give the colored ore in the same ratio, as if it was naturally those metals, with a normal tool).

S

shawnee6d

Thanks Basara, the would explain at least a bit of what I'm seeing.

I had switched out the skill to my elf mule and got the same results. In fact, managed to find yet another Frostwood bearing tree. I haven't had time to try other areas besides TerMur, but essentially I've managed to run accross 5 rare wood tree's (top three types) in what seems a not too large an area. 3 of them are frost wood, two are still delivering as of about 3:am (gotta love insomnia).

It just strikes me as happily out of the norm. Had zero luck finding any bloodwood or frostwood and now a few nice spots, but in a fairly close area. Go figure. I had hoped that maybe the dev's had slipped in a change to make it a bit more reasonable to aquire the rare woods, but I guess it's just random chance. Still, I can't complain:). I have a nice 1k stack of frostwood, where before I had none. I guess I'll had back and see if I can weasle more before the tree's end up changing to something else.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BTW, I've had a really nice streak going on the 7th year reward stump -

15 pulls (10 when full, then 5 more) with NO normal wood, in the last 2 weeks. I just turned 84 months on my main account, so I got 2 more stumps with rewards I had saved up.

K

Kallie Pigeon

I took 2 stumps from my last veteran reward gump and harvest them. It takes care of all the high end stuff but only 10 logs per stump per day so it slow going but for busy me it's a lot more high end stuff than I have seen in the past year of rarely going chopping.