• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Update BOD books?

G

I was reading another post and this came to mind. I have 16 vendors at my house and I'm always near lock down maximum. But, I can't fill all my LBODS because I don't have an ability to save all the SBODS that I get. I think the books are every 5 bods count as one lockdown correct? If so, can we possibly move that to a 10 to one ratio? I would really like to be able to just collect all the SBODS that I get.

P

Paris_Hilton

<blockquote><hr>

I was reading another post and this came to mind. I have 16 vendors at my house and I'm always near lock down maximum. But, I can't fill all my LBODS because I don't have an ability to save all the SBODS that I get. I think the books are every 5 bods count as one lockdown correct? If so, can we possibly move that to a 10 to one ratio? I would really like to be able to just collect all the SBODS that I get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but I would trade bod storage for extra stable slots anyday.

I am in favor of doing away with bod books entirely to free up that storage space for pet storage and to rid the game of crafting scripters who are not only sucking up all the server storage space but at the same time making crafting rewards worthless.

K

Kurgan

Ok, you get 3 stable slots, and the BOD books goto 7 to 1...
There done over, now back to the game...

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kurgan, you should go into Politics. If we had a few more folks negotiating compromises in DC, we'd be alot better off.

P

Paris_Hilton

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I thank you!

I am sure EA Games thanks you.

Everyone on UO thanks you for volunteering to pay for the extra server storage space required for our extra stable slot and those 2 extra bod book storage slots.

You da man!

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey how u do that? You good friends wif Draconi?
*looks around*

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

Hey how u do that? You good friends wif Draconi?
*looks around*

[/ QUOTE ]
easy to talk without actually knowing whats being talked about ...

OP needs to define "the problem" ... more precisely ...

16 vendors have the potential to hold ... 7984 bods... yes? (499 in book + book = 125 items on vendor)
house can hold ... X ??? vendors
vendors counting as "lockdowns" ?

Whuat ...

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I thank you!

Everyone on UO thanks you for volunteering to pay for the extra server storage space required for our extra stable slot and those 2 extra bod book storage slots.

You da man!

[/ QUOTE ]We all pay for it. The hardware costs of UO come from our monthly subscriptions, and considering how cheap storage is these days, it's probably only about 25 cents per account per shard. *

* Based on: 5TB Raid 5 Array = 6 1TB SAS Array, which costs around $20,000 (Got the price from Dell). 80,000 accounts chip in $25 each and it's paid for. I'm sure EA can absorb that kind of cost without raising subscription fees.

G

You collect all the BODs you get? There are some blacksmiths who have been waiting a looooong time for their order to be filled

G

Don't forget nightly backup tapes and the staffing costs to support it all and hire people to fret about five-9s vs six-9s reliability. Databases are like locusts - they swarm over your budget and eat all the storage you throw at them.

(Come to think of it, when was the last time a shard suffered data loss or had to be reverted because of a storage failure? *considers asking for a tour of the data center*)

I

imported_Kallie Pigeon

Faced with the same prospect I just tossed some of the larges. I have only so much time to play.

P

Paris_Hilton

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I thank you!

You da man!

[/ QUOTE ]We all pay for it. The hardware costs of UO come from our monthly subscriptions, and considering how cheap storage is these days, it's probably only about 25 cents per account per shard. *

* Based on: 5TB Raid 5 Array = 6 1TB SAS Array, which costs around $20,000 (Got the price from Dell). 80,000 accounts chip in $25 each and it's paid for. I'm sure EA can absorb that kind of cost without raising subscription fees.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Jeremy" says maybe no room for extra stable slots.

"Kurgan" says we get one extra stable slot AND two extra slots for bods in every bod book.

Guess he's paying.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Don't forget nightly backup tapes and the staffing costs to support it all and hire people to fret about five-9s vs six-9s reliability. Databases are like locusts - they swarm over your budget and eat all the storage you throw at them.

(Come to think of it, when was the last time a shard suffered data loss or had to be reverted because of a storage failure? *considers asking for a tour of the data center*)

[/ QUOTE ]Good point on the backup costs. They should already be staffed but a decent backup solution for 5TB is going to run close to another $10,000, so another 12 cents per account.

G

<blockquote><hr>

OP needs to define "the problem" ... more precisely ...

16 vendors have the potential to hold ... 7984 bods... yes? (499 in book + book = 125 items on vendor)
house can hold ... X ??? vendors
vendors counting as "lockdowns" ?

Whuat ...

[/ QUOTE ]Yes I should have been more direct. My vendors do not hold bods, they are true vendors. I just have many LBODS that need to be filled, but I can't save every SBOD I get to fill them because I will run out of space. And I don't like that.

G

About the only change I would like to see with BOD books is a sort feature that uses the titles of each column to sort. Click once for ascending order a second time for descending.

It'd make finding all of a given BOD item type (i.e. all Scimitar BODs) or group of items (i.e.. all Ringmail BODs) nice and easy.

Personally, I think the 5:1 ratio is fine as it is. My advice would be to start filling anything that will combine, ditch or sell the larges that won't fill that you have 5 or 6 of that you're not really enthused about the reward, and be a bit pickier on your pulls (hell, if you're having storage troubles, with the turn in and get new aspect, you don't even need to make the daily pulls you normally get, just go on the turn-ins.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Most places don't use backup tapes anymore.

RAID for the win.

F

Fayled Dhreams

hmmm by the KB
Houses owned by accounts upgraded for Ultima Online: Mondain's Legacy will have a 20% increase in the number of vendors they will support.

(I guess these are the "un up-graded numbers")
Customized Houses
width + depth vendors
14 (ex. 7x7) 10
15 ......14
16 ......16
17 ......16
18 ......16
Or
small stone tower 14

Whats your house sign SAY your vendor allotment IS ... ??

just saying ... maybe time to get a bigger house ...
More vendors, more lockdowns ...
same "working vendors" count ... room for a few (legal) BOD storage vendors ...

Hey ... you opened the can of worms about YOUR storage shortage ...
"fixable" by doubling ALL acounts bod book capacities ...

What have you used all other storage options for ... to protect and/or Keep, via a bod book buff?

Fair question