• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UOKR Trouble

UOaddict21

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I saw UO's new client, UOKR, and decided to come back and try it out. I downloaded the client (12 hours wow!) and there's a compressed zip folder on my desktop. When I click that it says Windows cannot open the folder because it's invalid. Can anyone offer some advice on what I may be doing wrong? I admit I am not the most computer compitent individual. Thanks in advance.

G

Try downloading WinRAR and using that. Pretty sure Zip has a size limit and won't unload some packages.

WinRAR Unloads almost all compressed files I have.

B

BadManiac

Try downloading 7-zip, it's a free compresion/archive software, very well known and definitely reputable. 7-Zip
Might be that they used a newer version of the zip compression than the windows archive manager can handle.

If that doesn't work you might have to redownload KR, since the zip might have been damaged during transfer. Try using a download manager if you end up having to redownload, it will ensure the zip isn't damaged. I'm sure someone here can recommend a good one for you.

G

It's probably broken...
You need to use a download manager to reliably download a file that size...

Hopefully someone else can explain, while I get a really big cup of tea...

P

Prudentis

It's probably corrupt.
Files of that size can get corrupted if your connection is not perfect.
If you use Firefox, here is a download manager, that will help you pause and resume downloads and redownload corrupt parts:
DownThemAll

UOaddict21

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the help everyone. I tried WinRar and 7-zip, but to no avail. I suppose I'll have to accept that the file is corrupt. I will try the download manager and hopefully that will work.

B

Belmarduk

The download is a joke (like the whole KR-Policy...)
Why isnt the download file updated after each patch ???
Why must one download 1.2 GB and then patch another 2-3 GB ?
I´m not a programmer but thats extremly bad managemnt.

In Eve the install-file is about 900mb large and is updated EVERY patch...

S

slasherofveils

It sounds like you used IE or such to download it.

You need to use something with a download manager as others have mentioned. Firefox's builtin one worked fine for me, though your mileage may vary. If the file is on an FTP site use a freeapp ftp program like WinFTP or such and you will be golden, or try some of the other solutions offered in this thread.

B

Belmarduk

I have a fast broadband connection with flatrate - I have no big problem.Also I use a dl-manager.
What I am saying is the policy is bad about the whole thing. Either you download a version that is often corrupt (so I heard) but is halfway-patched AND you must register on some stupid 3rd party website.
or
You download from ealargedownloads - and must patch and patch.
I can understand people with a slower connection getting frustrated about it.

The file should be updated after every patch.Period
Other mmorpg - companys do that. But those are obviously companys that care about their customers..

G

<blockquote><hr>

The file should be updated after every patch.Period

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Have a player excited to try out the new client, and after they wait the hours to DL the client (expected of course) they immediately get hit with downloading 400 MB patch, then 800 MB patch, etc. etc. and it takes HOURS more after they expected to be able to play before they can actually log in, and see how enthusiastic they are. It is just forcing loads of extra time in patching on many people when updating the DL routinely ONCE at the source would eliminate it.

-Skylark

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
2 d only really works for those, well challenged and running a few extras, rest would jump to a runable client, no complaints !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

2 d only really works for those, well challenged and running a few extras, rest would jump to a runable client, no complaints !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/golfclap

That's almost a sentence.