• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UOGuide??

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
yes their website is down, probably not getting enough ads to keep it up :D
There seriously isn't. I talked with the owner about that a couple weeks ago, and he said he's been losing about $50 per month by keeping the site up for a few years. Not enough UO players left to visit it anymore.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well damn..... anytime I have a question that's where I go - this is not good

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow this stinks, what a great site that I use daily.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What stinks??? Did you check for yourself? The Frakin' site is UP, and has been all morning for me! I'm not sure why people are saying it's down.
Instead of being just a slight bit abrasive, did you consider that you're pulling up the cached version on your computer? I checked, and I'm not getting the proper site. Even checked with an alternative browser.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thought jc was sole owner of the content on the site. He could send cease and desist orders

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Thought jc was sole owner of the content on the site. He could send cease and desist orders
To archive.org? That's what robots.txt is for - but he'd have to have the site back up and running to do that, and long term, it's a bad idea regardless. (That's not to mention that a good part of the content originally came from the old Stratics).

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you would have refreshed as stated above, the site would have shown you the page the OP posted.

The domain expired. He has to pay again. His houses will go IDOC in 90 days then he can play for free on an EJ domain.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
That's a shame, maybe he could have asked for donations or something or let someone else run it? :(

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From what I've heard he had been made an offer but turned it down.... I could be wrong.....
He said he had a offer. I do think it was time to renew it. His other sites still work. I know he was haveing issue with keeping it up because of the demand.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
From what I've heard he had been made an offer but turned it down.... I could be wrong.....
Correct. He was offered $5,000 to sell the site, plus a profit-sharing agreement the same day I talked to him about this stuff. His reaction at the time according to him was "what profit?" and then he turned it down.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Correct. He was offered $5,000 to sell the site, plus a profit-sharing agreement the same day I talked to him about this stuff. His reaction at the time according to him was "what profit?" and then he turned it down.
If you add a few more zeros to it he might sell then.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is what confuses me. If he is losing money monthly why wouldn't he sell? It's not like UO is going to have a massive resurgence. Hey I'd love to be wrong but reality is reality. UO has well passed it's prime. Just makes little sense not to sell unless there is something more to this or the information provided is inaccurate.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is what confuses me. If he is losing money monthly why wouldn't he sell? It's not like UO is going to have a massive resurgence. Hey I'd love to be wrong but reality is reality. UO has well passed it's prime. Just makes little sense not to sell unless there is something more to this or the information provided is inaccurate.
My theories:

1. He's just owned it so long that he's attached to it and doesn't want to not own it regardless of anything else.

2. He believes it's best for the UO community that he stays the owner, in case the new owner is shady and destroys or corrupts the vision of the site.

3. He just doesn't care that it's losing money so there's no reason to bother changing anything.

He's still at a pretty substantial gain overall, back when Stratics was for sale he was considering buying it, and mentioned it would probably take all the money he's ever made off UO Guide to do it. We bought Stratics for about $15,000, which suggests he'd made about $15,000 profit off UO Guide by 2016. Even losing $50 per month since then, that's still a $10,000+ profit overall.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My theories:

1. He's just owned it so long that he's attached to it and doesn't want to not own it regardless of anything else.

2. He believes it's best for the UO community that he stays the owner, in case the new owner is shady and destroys or corrupts the vision of the site.

3. He just doesn't care that it's losing money so there's no reason to bother changing anything.

He's still at a pretty substantial gain overall, back when Stratics was for sale he was considering buying it, and mentioned it would probably take all the money he's ever made off UO Guide to do it. We bought Stratics for about $15,000, which suggests he'd made about $15,000 profit off UO Guide by 2016. Even losing $50 per month since then, that's still a $10,000+ profit overall.

I think it has to be 1 or two or maybe a combination. Three would be surprising. No one I have ever known is ok with losing money. Business wise I can't see anyone not taking an offer it and running. It's a somewhat stable but slowly declining commodity. A commodity that also could dramatically decline in the right (wrong??) circumstances. Not saying UO is dead or anything like that but let's be honest, if say a massive security breach occured I don't believe UO would survive something of that magnitude.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My theories:

I believe that he has become attracted to it. He wants it to be his legacy to the game. I dont think he even has a active account anymore or still plays.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe that he has become attracted to it. He wants it to be his legacy to the game. I dont think he even has a active account anymore or still plays.
I can, quite honestly understand that urge and fully respect it.

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Better start securing all the knowledge before it's lost one day. :(