• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO Vet, current Era Newbie - seeking PvM advice

noChance219

Visitor
Looking to make a Tamer/Bard - my thoughts are:

Mage
Tame
Lore
Vet
Music
Disco
*Med (remainder of pts while training/scrolling)

I will have SS to play around with different things as situations warrant - Peace/Provoke for sure, probably Med/Eval as well. I have never had a GM Tamer, but have played Bards of various sorts quite a bit over the years.

I don't see this being terribly difficult from an itemization standpoint, but I'm also not sure what all a Tamer/Bard needs: FC/FCR, DCI, Slayer instruments of various sorts, pet summoning balls, etc ? I am not concerned with running Wrestle/Resist, as this is a pure farming character and I will accept my fate in PvP.

What are your favorite PvM / Spawn / Encounter characters, and why? Does not have to be a Tamer, Bard, or both. Help a vet newbie out! :) If you don't want to share here, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks, Siege!

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A few options (all skills are real, not jeweled):

120 tame / lore
100 vet
100 hide
80 stealth
120 spellweaving
80 meditation

This runs the Taming 3 mastery, super effective in PvM.

120 necro / spirit speak
120 spellweaving
120 magery / eval
120 meditation

This runs the necro 3 mastery to control two skeletal dragons, between them and sw aoe spells you mow through early spawn levels.

120 swords / tactics
100 necro
120 chiv
100 anatomy
100 bushido
60 parry

Not a workable temp for Orcs but this is a standard sampire build that can take on just about any content in the game. Very item dependent though, unlike the first two builds

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Looking to make a Tamer/Bard - my thoughts are:

Mage
Tame
Lore
Vet
Music
Disco
*Med (remainder of pts while training/scrolling)
switch vet with med on that template and you can pretty much do most of the modern content solo. go 120 realskill in all of them. you need med and as much mr on armor as you can get to run the taming 3 mastery spell consume damage and never run out of mana while helping your pet with greater heals and arch cures when needed.
Familiarize yourself with modern day pet training and train up a giant beetle with rune corruption, armor ignore and poisoning and a lesser hiryu with chivalry and armor ignore. Once you're more established maybe add a cu sidhe (chiv/ai) and/or fire beetle (rune corruption, ai, poisoning and maybe add in explosive goo for spawns).
Make sure you scroll these pets out to 120 in every possible skill and train them up. They will cover pretty much everything you'll ever want to do as a tamer. The giant beetle and lesser hiryu will be enough in the beginning - both, the beetles rune corruption and the hiryu's grasping claw resist debuff will stack with your debuff from discordance. The cu sidhe and fire beetle are for special circumstances only.

Use an all 70s suit, get 2/6 casting and 45 dci, only switch to protection in very special situations and you'll be fine.

Blargety

Journeyman
For the record, the Orc PvM Guild is comprised of our blue characters that don’t meet the standards of being a real Orc. From an RP perspective they’re seen as mercenaries and sympathizers to the Orcish cause. ;)

noChance219

Visitor
@Max Blackoak

But I *do* need Vet somewhere to Rez my pets, right? Even if I only pull it off of stone to actually revive them?

I was telling Blug that many (maybe all?) Tamers I had seen farming were using GHeal and not Vet - which kinda seemed counter-intuitive to me... but I guess more Med means more potential to cast spells, which means more heals & utility from Magery.

@Silent Singer - I like the sound of Necro/Mage/SW - may try that on a different character some day ;)

@Eärendil - "Mystic-Mage-Weaver with some Necro" - Mage/Med/Eval/Mystic/Focus/Spellweaving & a dab of Necro (without SS since just using it for Wraith Form?) ? Sounds interesting as well!

@Blargety #orclivesmatter

Thanks everyone for the replies, appreciate it!

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But I *do* need Vet somewhere to Rez my pets, right? Even if I only pull it off of stone to actually revive them?

I was telling Blug that many (maybe all?) Tamers I had seen farming were using GHeal and not Vet - which kinda seemed counter-intuitive to me... but I guess more Med means more potential to cast spells, which means more heals & utility from Magery.
The template I've switched to is:
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Spellweaving
120 Magery
120 Eval Int
120 Med

I used to run disco and music, but I've found that with additional firepower from flames trikes puts out more damage than my pet would do overtime.

For the most part, we have pets dedicated to each encounter.. Which greatly increases their survival rate. That combined with spell weaving gift of renewal, taming mastery III, and greater heals... There is no need to use vet anymore. Besides, most mobs now days have an aura or will. Auto target you when you're close. So it's no beuno. Furthermore, most of the pets are mountablez so if they're in trouble you just hop on and run. Or, walk away, invis and log out. Your pet will be safe. Vet is a wasted 100/120bskill points now days.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For an All-Spellcaster-Char you need SS aswell, but 90 is enough. Note: You might not be able to solo all bosses, but you have maximal versatiliy and can concentrate on damage output (SDI).

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
as others pointed out vet is mostly just used for ressing pets these days. having it on a stone and 80+ skill will be all you ever need for that purpose.
all other templates mentioned also work, I was just pointing out the discord tamer template because it is very close to what you already have.

the spellweaving tamer templates gain an additional advantage from gift of life. you can cast it on both, you and your pet at the same time and both will get resed shortly after dieing. while with today's pets and templates your pet really shouldn't die unless you make a really grave mistake gift of life is a nice thing to have (unless you forget to cast it and keep it up at all times).

if you're not going solo, see what your group brings and come up with something they don't already have that will help them or their pets.

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 swords / tactics
100 necro
120 chiv
100 anatomy
100 bushido
60 parry

Not a workable temp for Orcs but this is a standard sampire build that can take on just about any content in the game. Very item dependent though, unlike the first two builds
Borrowing thread, working on my PvE toon.

Why 120 Chiv over higher amatomy or Parry? Back in the day when i ran chiv ages and ages ago , 80 chiv was enough to do Everything needed. What changed?

Thanks!

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the higher your chiv, the more extra damage will EoO do and the more reliably will the other chiv spells work (karma is also a factor for some).

I found a similar template to Silent Singer's works best for me: 120 swords, 120 tactics, 120 bushido, 100 chiv, 100 necro, 100 resist (120 with +20 on jewellery), 60 parry.
I solo all champ spawns with this and even soloed the entire shadowguard encounter including the roof with that template. The 120 resist allows me to fight back when getting raided simply because I can't be mana drained and still have access to all defensive and offensive abilities.
I used to run the same build with 100 anatomy but while the damage dealt was higher with that, I prefer the better defensive of 120 resist.
I also used to run 120 chiv and 100 tactics before but did significantly less damage with that so I switched.
I would suspect that 100 bushido is enough but whirlwind damage will get a lower damage bonus and evasion, counter attack etc. will be less effective. I have never tried 100 bushido though, so that's pure speculation.
Back in the day I also used to run 120 parry but found the higher damage output more important to keep me alive than higher parry chance. 60 parry is all I need and together with swords and bushido it still gives me 300 points to get the 10 mana cost reduction.

All that being said: any of the above templates work well for most PvM and it most likely comes down to personal preference and your access to powerscrolls etc.

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the higher your chiv, the more extra damage will EoO do and the more reliably will the other chiv spells work (karma is also a factor for some).

I found a similar template to Silent Singer's works best for me: 120 swords, 120 tactics, 120 bushido, 100 chiv, 100 necro, 100 resist (120 with +20 on jewellery), 60 parry.
I solo all champ spawns with this and even soloed the entire shadowguard encounter including the roof with that template. The 120 resist allows me to fight back when getting raided simply because I can't be mana drained and still have access to all defensive and offensive abilities.
I used to run the same build with 100 anatomy but while the damage dealt was higher with that, I prefer the better defensive of 120 resist.
I also used to run 120 chiv and 100 tactics before but did significantly less damage with that so I switched.
I would suspect that 100 bushido is enough but whirlwind damage will get a lower damage bonus and evasion, counter attack etc. will be less effective. I have never tried 100 bushido though, so that's pure speculation.
Back in the day I also used to run 120 parry but found the higher damage output more important to keep me alive than higher parry chance. 60 parry is all I need and together with swords and bushido it still gives me 300 points to get the 10 mana cost reduction.

All that being said: any of the above templates work well for most PvM and it most likely comes down to personal preference and your access to powerscrolls etc.
Thank you very much!

I need this char for basic PVE stuff to get leather, magic items etc, aswell as something to join in on events.

As someone who havnt been doing pve in a long time, especially not with pvp risks, 120 resist seem like a good option.

Thank you!