• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO Stratics

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If UO does shut down, will UO Stratics also close down or will they continue but cater instead to the freeshards?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, I don't believe in crossing bridges till I come to them.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gees Site, way to jump off the deepend bud :)

I would say that when UO shuts down a bazillion years from now Stratics will not cater to freeshards as the differences between each are so large for the most part that it would be impossible to give out useful information on them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Good grief you ever put your cart before your horse much?

The world has not come to an end yet and your already trying to shovel the dirt on it's grave.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good grief you ever put your cart before your horse much?

The world has not come to an end yet and your already trying to shovel the dirt on it's grave.
The patient does not look well however. Good to have the gravesite already picked out just in case.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you have some special insight that we're missing?
No, but the future of UO is being discussed on a very popular thread in this forum, much of it conjecture based on information we really dont know. If we can debate that why can we not debate the effect this would also have on UO Stratics...?

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If UO does shut down, will UO Stratics also close down or will they continue but cater instead to the freeshards?
You do realize without the OSI shards free shards will be gone aswell? ... Haven't you ever noticed on 99% of the freeshards the world content is all based on what is happening on the OSI shards.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You do realize without the OSI shards free shards will be gone aswell? ... Haven't you ever noticed on 99% of the freeshards the world content is all based on what is happening on the OSI shards.
To be honest I havent taken the time to look at 99% of the freeshards let alone study their world content ... have you?

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
this is just completely wrong on both parts.

B

Brucie Kibbutz

i think this thread was completely nullified by Petra's post. Why would we even discuss the "ifs" or "buts" of a forum?

When UO starts to merge servers, then we can worry about this, but I don't think we'll see that for a long while..i.e. when we all die of old age.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i think this thread was completely nullified by Petra's post. Why would we even discuss the "ifs" or "buts" of a forum?

When UO starts to merge servers, then we can worry about this, but I don't think we'll see that for a long while..i.e. when we all die of old age.
Thats funny!

My dog is 9.

I will bet my dog will outlast UO.

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, there are quite many people who still come to Stratics to chat and hang out even if they stopped playing UO years ago...
So, thanks for the concern, but we will probably find ourselves a niche somewhere.
Still - what Petra said.

B

Beastmaster

A valid question. I wondered the same thing myself given Stratic's current stance on freeshards. (btw, not disagreeing with it) Petra's answer is valid as well. I was thinking about this today and all the ensuing confusion it would have. Those shards are the wild west of UO. No way anyone can keep up with all there variations.

B

Brucie Kibbutz

Thats funny!

My dog is 9.

I will bet my dog will outlast UO.
I don't know, has any online game ever shut down? I think there were one or two, but many of the older ones are still around.

Everquest, DAoC, Star Wars Galaxies, loads more are all still around. Everquest, in particular, survived a popular expansion and Sony trying to forcefully get people to change games.

Like I said, I think as long as we are alive, UO will continue. The amount of profit UO brings in compared to Madden may be minuscule, but you're still talking about profit.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know, has any online game ever shut down? I think there were one or two, but many of the older ones are still around.
Given the company involved, I can't help but remember 'Earth and Beyond'.... and Sims Online, although that's maybe not quite in the genre we have in mind ;)

Like I said, I think as long as we are alive, UO will continue. The amount of profit UO brings in compared to Madden may be minuscule, but you're still talking about profit.
EA have in the past, and will in the future, drop 'profitable' games - they demand a certain level of profitability, not just a basic bottom line profit. Whether UO meets their requirements.... we have to wait and see.

F

five oclock

If UO ever does shut down..then the day before the shut down we all party like its 1699...

then the next day we grab our ale bottles..and talk about the great times we had on UO on stratics..

while still drinking :D

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, but the future of UO is being discussed on a very popular thread in this forum, much of it conjecture based on information we really dont know. If we can debate that why can we not debate the effect this would also have on UO Stratics...?
I'm not saying it's not a valid question. However, for the minimal amount of cash they have to put into maintaining it, UO is still a money making machine for EA. They'd be foolish (should the day come) to just flat out shut down the servers. It seems to me that even if they stopped working on new content, and left the game static in a fairly stable state they could continue making money off it. If I were the one running the show I'd keep it running until the $ from subscriptions drops below what it cost each month to maintain it.

Despite all the doomsayers I think UO will be around for a bit longer yet.

I don't know, has any online game ever shut down?
Sims?
The trouble with Sims Online was they let everyone and their brother into a beta that lasted forever. A friend of mine got 6 beta invites. It was a fun game until they expected us to pay for it. After that it became rather pointless when regular sims was just as good offline.

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In 2012 when much of the earth is destroyed, amongst the rubble of the Mythic building will stand a triumphant pile of still active servers full of UO players who roam the charred earth in search of WiFi. Stratics will revert to the old west Pony Express where topics are discussed through messengers on horseback. So in short, UO can never die.

Also, if UO ever died then UO stratics would go with. At least I hope it would before changing over to be freeshard related. Then not only would you have the freeshard owners hacking you, youd have hackers all over these forums.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I were the one running the show I'd keep it running until the $ from subscriptions drops below what it cost each month to maintain it.
Thats a very niaive viewpoint and not the way it works im afraid. EA will NOT do this. They would ditch the game LONG before it reached a level of zero profitibility. Even if the game is still making a profit, there comes a point where it is better use of resources to channel them into something else with a greater profit margin.

The company I work for is doing this on a regular basis. You allocate your resources to maximise profit. You do not keep them allocated to an area with no (or even little) profitibility when they would be better off elsewhere.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not a mod but I can answer half of the question. Nope, UO Stratics will stay. Look over to the left. EALand has been closed for over a year. You can still post there.

Freeshards? Which one would they choose? Also they would not allow a freeshard to have a spot for the same reason they do not have one now.

EA will not sell UO, so they will own the rights to the name.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats a very niaive viewpoint and not the way it works im afraid. EA will NOT do this. They would ditch the game LONG before it reached a level of zero profitibility. Even if the game is still making a profit, there comes a point where it is better use of resources to channel them into something else with a greater profit margin.

The company I work for is doing this on a regular basis. You allocate your resources to maximise profit. You do not keep them allocated to an area with no (or even little) profitibility when they would be better off elsewhere.
See where I used the word/letter "I"? That's what I would do. I don't really care too much for what would be good business sense. I enjoy playing UO and would prefer to keep it around as long as possible. I'm not naive enough to believe that's what would really happen, but I can dream. I know EA will pull the plug long before that point, but I doubt it will be any time soon.

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its just so funny that a bunch of EA canada employees and most of mythics warhammer team get laid off and suddenly half the stratics population is getting ready for uo's shutdown. If UO survived the dawn of the 3d mmo's then its surely gonna survive the closing of Warhammer. Bottom Line, if you think uo is about to close due to mondays news then you may want to get a psych evaluation....seriously

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its just so funny that a bunch of EA canada employees and most of mythics warhammer team get laid off and suddenly half the stratics population is getting ready for uo's shutdown. If UO survived the dawn of the 3d mmo's then its surely gonna survive the closing of Warhammer. Bottom Line, if you think uo is about to close due to mondays news then you may want to get a psych evaluation....seriously
Out of touch with reality much?

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ironically, the only games I'm certain have shut down are all EA: Earth Above & Beyond, Motor City Online, and The Sims Online.

I'm not sure if Shadowbane still runs... Only non-EA that comes to mind.

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems Im one of the few who arent crying wolf. Look into what happened and see it had little to nothing to do with UO. Stop making assumptions based on nonspecific info from other sites. went through this when 3rd dawn failed, same when AoS was buggy, same when WoW opened, just keep playing and stop crying.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my opinion I think that if the Official UO servers are shut down that out of principal and respect that Stratics would NOT become forums for the illegal free shards.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my opinion I think that if the Official UO servers are shut down that out of principal and respect that Stratics would NOT become forums for the illegal free shards.
Of course, UO shutting down would also be pretty bad for the Stratics network overall, because as I see it, UO's still their number one draw of visits (primarily because most other games have official forums).

Still, I personally don't see UO going anywhere because of this... I think it's got a limited future in its current state, but that future's at least still got 2-4 years to it.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
The community that UOStratics has build is one reason why UO membership has remained steady over the years. I'm not concerned about either medium disappearing anytime soon.

B

Beer_Cayse

huh. and here I thought Chiken Little was dead! <sigh>

Petra sez it all

I

Ivorythorn

All I'm going to say is that things begin and things end. If you are so wrapped into UO then maybe you need to do a little introspection into your life. I'm not saying playing a online game is bad for you, far from it! It's a nice escape and entertaining, and I think it's better than the boob tube, but if IT'S all you have??? Take a look around, not trying to slam or insult anyone here but... come on...

Don't worry, UO isn't going anywhere, anytime soon,. but if it does, not the end of the world. Okaaaaay? Tomorrow I'm taking a walk in the park, UO will still be here when I get back. And if it's not, I'll find something else to spend my time and money on... and likely it won't be another online game....

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wasn't UO supposedly doomed to shutdown many times in the past?

Worrying over "what if" is always a waist of time. Why should we worry about "what if" when we know "what is?"

What is: UO is still here with no plans on going away.