• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO Player wanting to venture into WOW

L

Lisolette

I am addicted to UO and have been since Feb.. Right before going on vacation- I started a char on WOW and was a little addicted due to the graphics. Granted getting used to moving around and stuff is gonna be my most difficulty. Anyone play both because they can't give one or the other? I have a really good friend on WOW and my husband plays.. I don't think I could give up UO totally due to the wonderful friends I have met over there as well. If WOW ever got housing like UO, I think I would spend a whole lot more time on WOW.

Any suggestions for a newbie to WOW who has been playing UO for almost a year?

Thanks!

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I've played UO going on 9 years now and WoW for 3. I play both and enjoy it.

Some tips, that would have helped me when playing. A hunter's pet is nothing like a tamer's pet. Nothing at all.

You can learn cooking, fishing and first aid, but are limited to two "professions" other than those. Pick professions that are good for your class, or good for money making as money is a definite need in WoW>

If you have any questions, just ask.

B

Blade_Thugluv

i have played UO for a long long long long time. I started playing wow a while ago and i like both. they both have thier ups and downs but they are 2 different games.

thing i like about WOW is theres better game support less hacking and more people. not to mention tons of stuff to do and places to see and go.

~Thugluv

B

Bud_Weiser

It's no question. You will not even miss housing in UO. It's not needed in WoW at all. No cluttered landscapes, it's one less thing to worry about.

UO is so old and broken I can't believe people still play it. They have the worst "Dev Team" in the world and the GM's are jokes.

WoW is by far a superior game.

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played WoW for like two - 3 months mostly out of curiosity, It was fun and I could of gotten into it, but because I only have so much time in RL I decided not to invest in new mmo from ground up, and if I do i'll probably wait till darkfall and check it out. Though I was actually quite disappointed with WoW in many ways, I knew it be ristricted, but I was even surprised to see that items didn't even fall to the ground! Even in diablo, items fell to the ground!

anyway, if you looking for new mmo with housing, you should also look into Darkfall, it be released in 1-3 months it was been worked on since 2001, it will be the modern UO, it was inspired by UO. Many of the original people who worked on creating UO are also working on darkfall.

E

Eldorian

I played WoW for like two - 3 months mostly out of curiosity, It was fun and I could of gotten into it, but because I only have so much time in RL I decided not to invest in new mmo from ground up, and if I do i'll probably wait till darkfall and check it out. Though I was actually quite disappointed with WoW in many ways, I knew it be ristricted, but I was even surprised to see that items didn't even fall to the ground! Even in diablo, items fell to the ground!
Seriously, your beef with WoW is because items don't fall to the ground?

anyway, if you looking for new mmo with housing, you should also look into Darkfall, it be released in 1-3 months it was been worked on since 2001, it will be the modern UO, it was inspired by UO. Many of the original people who worked on creating UO are also working on darkfall.
Darkfall = fail

L

Lag

Darkfall = fail
@Items falling: That's silly

@Darkfall: It rocks, shoosh Eldorian. Being released in Jan 09 in Europe, and the previews look amazing.

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I said WoW was fun and could have gotten into it. My point with the no items dropping was just a unexpected of a feture of WoW on my part of the experience when I tried the game, considering items dropping was a part of diablo series! Let me rephrase this again, Considering how popular WoW was, when I tried the game, I was quite surprised Items did not fall onto the ground! I did not mean to say I was disappointed ONLY because of that feture because that would be silly, I was just giving an example of one LITTLE restriction that contributed to the overall disappointing WoW experience.

Darkfall = fail
Darkfall might be fail, it may be okay, or it might be successful, one doesn't really know. the fact that you are coming to a complete conclusion that Darkfall is a fail before the game is even released says a lot about you.

E

Eldorian

Darkfall might be fail, it may be okay, or it might be successful, one doesn't really know. the fact that you are coming to a complete conclusion that Darkfall is a fail before the game is even released says a lot about you.
Wasn't Darkfall supposed to come out like 4 years ago? That's fail enough for me to not want to touch it.

I can understand 8 years of developing a product - but from what I've seen of it... yeah - I give it a year, maybe 2 before it gets canceled. It'll enjoy the same fate as Tabula Rasa.

E

Eldorian

I said WoW was fun and could have gotten into it. My point with the no items dropping was just a unexpected of a feture of WoW on my part of the experience when I tried the game, considering items dropping was a part of diablo series! Let me rephrase this again, Considering how popular WoW was, when I tried the game, I was quite surprised Items did not fall onto the ground! I did not mean to say I was disappointed ONLY because of that feture because that would be silly, I was just giving an example of one LITTLE restriction that contributed to the overall disappointing WoW experience.
I always thought the items falling to the ground ALA Diablo was silly. I mean yeah... after you kill someone all of their stuff is gonna suddenly fly out of their body and onto the ground. That makes complete sense to me.

I don't see how this is a restriction at all.

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always thought the items falling to the ground ALA Diablo was silly. I mean yeah... after you kill someone all of their stuff is gonna suddenly fly out of their body and onto the ground. That makes complete sense to me.

I don't see how this is a restriction at all.
In diablo it's a more fast pace game, it's meant to be like that so when people kill 50 monsters in one instant they don't waste time going through one corspe at a time. In WoW, what I had in my mind was even droping items in the ground from my bag, like a book or something, it just doesn't happen. It contributes with not being able to interact with the environment at all in WoW, only kill monsters period, which is kinda restricted to me, but I guess it's subjective and personal preference.

Wasn't Darkfall supposed to come out like 4 years ago? That's fail enough for me to not want to touch it.
Many games usually have a dely of the release of when they are announced, even Blizzard stopped announcing the exact release of their games because they learned they never go through with it and always pushed into a later date anyways. Blizzard said they like perfer to release a good polished game late than a early rushed buggy game that meets the deadline, which is a approach ea should take too. YEah, Darkfall had 4 years, gives it no excuse.

I just suggested to the OP Darkfall cause he mentioned housing, and it's only about 1 month away till the release, Just letting the OP know their options. Whether fail or win game I don't know, Like WoW, I most likely never play it anyway cause of time constraints with RL things.

M

mecantile

Items falling is a lame excuse....unless he is refering to grieving which I can see why. In UO it was a ton of fun to yank people's items from them....Bud you should know that by now. =)

B

Bara

I am addicted to UO and have been since Feb.. Right before going on vacation- I started a char on WOW and was a little addicted due to the graphics. Granted getting used to moving around and stuff is gonna be my most difficulty. Anyone play both because they can't give one or the other? I have a really good friend on WOW and my husband plays.. I don't think I could give up UO totally due to the wonderful friends I have met over there as well. If WOW ever got housing like UO, I think I would spend a whole lot more time on WOW.

Thanks!
Well, I play both games, so I will try to answer your question. My friends and I simply switch from game to game. I'll play Wow for a while, then cancel my Wow account and activate Ultima.

Both games have a lot to offer, in their own way, and it's pretty satisfying to enjoy both. Neither get boring or repetitive this way. When it comes time to cancel uo for a while, either demolish your house (to get all your gold back- you can easily rebuild) or co-own it with a friend you trust if you really wish to keep it intact.

I would say though, that if you can afford multiple games going at once, then by all means, pay for both at the same time. It's only 28 bucks total a month, which isn't really bad at all.

As far as getting around in wow, it will be much easier once you hit 30 and get a mount :) Mages, especially, are very adept at getting from place to place once hitting a certain level. Another nice shortcut is getting a mage to gate you to shattrath city and setting your hearth there. In shat, there are portals to all of your factions capital cities.

Hope this helps, have fun!

M

Maetrix Highmoon

I still play both although I play WOW more than UO. I have been playing UO since 1997. I only still play for the memories.
Pretty much, I find WOW a lot more fun and more involved. Most of my tips WILL depend on your level, race, class and chosen discipline but, to start out you should know that the movement is fairly easy if you take some time to get the feel for it. Play with the view and settings until it feels right.

As for playing, questing, exploring and making friends really is Key. What I did after a few trial run characters was to do all the quests in the 2 Newbie areas that you start out with as a human in the Alliance. After I finished with those, I check out some maps and got directions and headed to the next newbie area. All of the Newbie areas are easy to get to with the tram between IF and SW and the Boat between SW and Darn. If you are Horde then I am of no help to you.

Another thing to me mindful as you start out, everyone benefits from cooking and first aid so, take those secondary skills up and cook and bandage as you go.

Good luck.

P

Piper Everwood

I have played uo since 1998 and still love it but recently started playing wow. Both games have different things I love. UO is more fo the rp setting I like and Wow being able to go out doing quests and hunting with friends is really fun and I enjoy hanging out with my friends in wow while we run around building skills and lvls and work quest togther. I had debated shutting down my uo account to just play wow but I am not ready to give up uo just yet. But I enjoy playing both games because of the different aspects they each offer.

M

mecantile

I still play both although I play WOW more than UO. I have been playing UO since 1997. I only still play for the memories.
I tried going back to UO after a 3 year hiatus last year and couldn't get past 3-4 weeks of it. Not enough people or support to really get you into it anymore. So I just downloaded all the music and reminisce.

WoW has many more players, more content, and more support (including 3rd party mods) than UO ever did even in its prime. I think everyone with a UO account should do that game a favor and put it out of its misery.

M

Maetrix Highmoon

I think everyone with a UO account should do that game a favor and put it out of its misery.
You're probably right but, sometimes it is hard to let go. I still find people to hang out with and things to do in UO. I just kinda hate how much it has changed from it's original version but, you're right. You are never alone in WOW.

E

Eldorian

This reminds me... now that Darkfall is out... I wanted to reiterate that it is indeed fail.

B

Blade_Thugluv

10 years in the making..... sounds like a whole truck load of fail to me!!!!

plus you have to pay to play beta? sounds like more fail once again.

graphics sux... more fail....

do i even need to list the other fails?

Darkfail is released.

~Blade

B

Blade_Thugluv

also forgot.... according to the darkfail forums you can buy the game during a 30 min window starting on theses dates at theses time:

Monday May 11th: 3pm GMT
Tuesday May 12th: 3pm GMT
Wednesday May 13th: 3pm GMT
Thursday May 14th: 3pm GMT

so how is that not fail?

yea so sounds like a great game *rolls eyes*

~Blade

N

Nem

Thanks!
I have been playing UO for like 9 yearsnow 2,after reading this post maybe I will try WOW sounds like alot of ppl like it.

Yellow Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really love WoW. It drew all of the Narcissistic "people" away from UO.
Good riddance.

A

AtlanticSalesman

I left UO in 2000 to play Eeverquest II and I left EQII in 2006 for WoW.

WoW is fun, but once you get into the end game content it's really boring I think. The graphics are a plus, but then again nothing to base your game preference on imo.

After you level your first 80 the ones after are going to be so like... omg I got to do all this again!! To me... wow < UO simply because UO has many more options and things available.

G

GuideGuru

Hey I still to this day think that diablo was so fun because of items falling to the ground for everyone to have a nab at. Of course once pickits came into the picture and everyone cheated it was not so fun anymore

MisPrinted_Lies

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive played UO for 3-4 years and tried WOW this year for the first time, it's a decent enough game but just didnt have as many options as UO currently has so I cancelled my account and am currently back in UO

Im sure I will return to the lands of WOW again someday but for now I will stay with UO